Boat Battery Question?

• jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I have just replaced my starter battery (group 25) with a group 34 due to issues with the front locator shutting down when I start the big motor. I think I have group 24s for the 24 volt trolling motor. I have have 3 bank on-board charger. Is there any issues with having different group batteries being charged with an on-board charger? Do I need the same “group” for all the batteries?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I would think not on the charging side for any of the 3 separately.

When they are “in use” though, the 24 volt batteries need to be twins of a very similar vintage though.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Deep cycle batteries used in parallel should be same make bought at same-similar time frame. Otherwise you could be charging one while another one is discharging at some point during your outing.

As for charging it is not critical as long as the batteries all go into the trickle charge state at some point.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Deep cycle batteries used in parallel should be same make bought at same-similar time frame. Otherwise you could be charging one while another one is discharging at some point during your outing.

As for charging it is not critical as long as the batteries all go into the trickle charge state at some point.

And in series as well. If each bank of the 3 bank is charging its own battery, you are fine. if a single bank is charging multiple batteries, then the batteries have to be matched.

mojogunter

The shutting down issue is most likely due to the locator being wired through the fuse box. My locator had the same issue and was told to wire it directly to the battery and use an in line fuse. Haven’t had an issue since. If you have no issues with the motor starting and the locator shutting down with the new battery then wire it directly.

I have just replaced my starter battery (group 25) with a group 34 due to issues with the front locator shutting down when I start the big motor. I think I have group 24s for the 24 volt trolling motor. I have have 3 bank on-board charger. Is there any issues with having different group batteries being charged with an on-board charger? Do I need the same “group” for all the batteries?

brunn
    Andover, MN

Try to reorder how the leads are connected to the battery. This has worked for me, but I can’t remember what the proper order is right now. If the locator is stacked on top of the outboard battery, restack the leads and put the locator lead on the battery first. I’ve been told the draw from the outboard upon starting will cutoff the locator as it exceeds the draw of the locator.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

The shutting down issue is most likely due to the locator being wired through the fuse box. My locator had the same issue and was told to wire it directly to the battery and use an in line fuse. Haven’t had an issue since. If you have no issues with the motor starting and the locator shutting down with the new battery then wire it directly.

This fixed the issue for me too

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll give the suggestions a try.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.