Boat accident

• welliou

I am up on the ash river right now and this morning On wcco tv news I heard there was a boat accident in the voyageur park. I have not heard a word about it. Anyone else hear about it. I think it was on Kabetogama.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

The link won’t let me read the story unless I subscribe to the paper. Not doing that. How about a short summary?

Brad Dimond

From the International Falls Journal:

A two-boat accident on Kabetogama Lake late Friday sent one person to the hospital.

St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office reports that the accident occurred at 5 p.m. north of Sugarbush Island, where the second to last of four boats traveling across the lake together turned to retrieve something blown out of one of the other boats ahead.

When the boat turned, the driver of the last boat did not notice and collided with it. The trailing boat went up and partially over the front boat, coming to a rest on top of it.

The two boats had 10 occupants – six in one, four in the other. An adult female passenger sustained a non-life threatening leg injury and was transported to Rainy Lake Medical Center, International Falls, for treatment.

Names were not released; drivers of the two boats were adult males, ages 60 and 63, both from Blaine.

The report said both boats remained afloat, and were towed to the Voyageurs National Park Kabetogama Visitor Center. Appropriate life jackets were aboard both boats.

The incident remains under investigation by the St. Lois County Sheriff’s Office, which reports assistance from VNP rangers, Kabetogama First Responders, International Falls Ambulance Service, Minnesota State Patrol and St. Louis County Volunteer Rescue Service.

munchy
    NULL

This should work

http://www.ifallsjournal.com/news/public_safety/kabetogama-lake-boat-crash-injures-one-person/article_bd3e6219-9627-5202-bd28-302974174614.html

A two-boat accident on Kabetogama Lake late Friday sent one person to the hospital.

St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office reports that the accident occurred at 5 p.m. north of Sugarbush Island, where the second to last of four boats traveling across the lake together turned to retrieve something blown out of one of the other boats ahead.

When the boat turned, the driver of the last boat did not notice and collided with it. The trailing boat went up and partially over the front boat, coming to a rest on top of it.

The two boats had 10 occupants – six in one, four in the other. An adult female passenger sustained a non-life threatening leg injury and was transported to Rainy Lake Medical Center, International Falls, for treatment.

Names were not released; drivers of the two boats were adult males, ages 60 and 63, both from Blaine.

The report said both boats remained afloat, and were towed to the Voyageurs National Park Kabetogama Visitor Center. Appropriate life jackets were aboard both boats.

The incident remains under investigation by the St. Lois County Sheriff’s Office, which reports assistance from VNP rangers, Kabetogama First Responders, International Falls Ambulance Service, Minnesota State Patrol and St. Louis County Volunteer Rescue Service.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If it can happen, it will happen. We always have to be aware of whats going on at all times.

Either good size boat with 6 passengers or some kids on-board.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

One boat going over the other…wow! They were very LUCKY!

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Happened to my grandpa & grandma years ago in Canada. I watched the whole thing. Fiberglass boat ran up onto my grandpa’s aluminum boat and nearly landed on my grandma. Missed her by only a couple feet.

Strange how these things can happen out in the middle of a lake with unobstructed view, but it does unfortunately.

Glad nobody was seriously injured or killed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.