Bloomington mn backwaters ice fishing

• Tim Bennett

Hey does anyone have any info or has fished the backwaters of the Minnesota river in Bloomington MN. I’m thinking of fishing Colman lake on the north side of the river and 9 mile lake and one other that I don’t think has a name and just curious if anyone has fished them or have info on fishing them. I’m thinking of heading out this weekend

purehd
    Newport mn

Let me know how it goes would be nice to have something close to fish..

Michael Burcusa
    Saint Louis Park

I have been eyeing the backwaters out here in Shakopee. I have concerns about ice safety and access. Are backwaters’ ice pretty solid since there is little current? I drive over this big sheet of ice everyday on my way home (west side of 169) that has a rock sticking up out of the ice. Everytime I see it, I think it is a portable, but it never is. I have never seen anyone out there before.

yummymuskie
    A River.

the back water will have no current as long as the river is low enough, which it should be right now

Michael Burcusa
    Saint Louis Park

Because of this thread, I did check out Fisher Lake Sat Afternoon. Spent about 1.5 hrs punching holes as I walked across the ice (the short way). Deepest depth I found was 3.5 feet. With 12″ of ice on top and about 6″ of mud on the bottom, there was very little water column to speak of. I did get some panfish taps, but I was rigged big looking for one of those river monsters, and figured since there was no pressure, they might be willing. After a bit of fishing, I left without any action to speak of. In the opinion of those seasoned river rats, is this water just too skinny to hold fish? If so, at what point would you consider the water not too skinny?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

catmando
    wis

I have seen 25 pound plke come out of same kind of water.Set a tipup with a live minnow if it stays alive theres oxygen, if there is fish it DK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.