Blind location

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I got into this briefly at the end of my spring turkey hunt last year.

I hunt out of a portable blind (Lucky’s brand) that has a non-reflective black interior. I have always placed my blind so that it at least somewhat blends into the surroundings – like on the edge of the woods over looking a field, amongst some scattered pine trees, etc.

My question is, and some answered yes last spring, would you place your blind smack dab right in the middle of a field? I’ll be hunting the same flock of turkeys I’ve been after the past two years. I know where they roost, but they go directly from the roost into the field and never walk close enough. Last year I saw over 50 turkeys in 4.5 days of hunting but all I could do was watch them from distance. Its extremely frustrating.

To me, a blind in the middle of a field sticks out like a sore thumb. But maybe for a turkey, it doesn’t bother them.

Thanks

CaptainMusky

It might not be a big deal for them if they get used to it, but I would think just popping it up on opening morning might draw some attention to it.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

If you know where the turkeys roost and where they go after flying down, set up between those two spots. If you can slip into the woods well before first light, there’s no need for a blind. Set up against a tree or something wide enough so you’re not silhouetted. Try to get within 100 yard or even closer depending on the how dense the woods are or if the trees are leafed out. Whatever you do, don’t bump them off the roost. Game over if you do that, at least for a while. If the toms are predictable and do the same thing every morning, that really tilts the odds in your favor.

I use to think setting up a blind out in the middle of field would be a silly thing to do until I read an article by Gary Clancy years ago. Gary said the turkeys would not be blind shy and would act like it’s always been there. So I gave it a try and in general I’ve found that to be true.

I’d set up a hen decoy a little behind blind so the toms can see it. If you’re calling in the middle of a field, they’ll expect to be able to see the hens.

stevenoak

I would defiantly try to cut them off after fly down. If that doesn’t work, it’s nice to have a blind to spend the day. If gobblers are hened up. They may not respond to decoys are calling till they get their sure things taken care of. After his hens are bred in the morning. They will head off to feed. Tommie Boy will go carousing for a side piece. It won’t be till then, that he will pay you much attention. It’s nice to have a comfortable spot, to hide all your movement to wait him out. I wouldn’t worry about blind placement. Just that you can get in it before they enter the field, or without being seen. That’s why I would prefer to have it closer to the woods. Make sure to hunt the last few hours of the day. When Tommie gets his itch.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If you know where the turkeys roost and where they go after flying down, set up between those two spots. If you can slip into the woods well before first light, there’s no need for a blind. Set up against a tree or something wide enough so you’re not silhouetted. Try to get within 100 yard or even closer depending on the how dense the woods are or if the trees are leafed out. Whatever you do, don’t bump them off the roost.

I’m already doing that. I place my blind as close as I can to the roost and sneak in like a ninja well before legal shooting time. I have never bumped any off the roost. They fly directly from their roost into the field, so there is no cutting them off from point A to point B. This is why I asked if setting up a portable blind right in the field would work.

I’d be interested in what others thing about putting a blind out in the middle of nowhere. I stake it down, so the wind isn’t going to blow it away like a giant tumbleweed.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

The funny thing about turkeys is that as soon as you put it in the middle of the field they will start taking edges where you’d be better off tucked in at. You obviously want to put it in the field, trust your gut and do it. But put it in by the weekend otherwise Id be nervous about not giving them enough time to get used to it

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

They are tricky critters. I would put the blind in the middle of the field and hide next to a tree on the edge. grin

CaptainMusky

They are tricky critters. I would put the blind in the middle of the field and hide next to a tree on the edge.

This is what I am sorta thinking too. I havent hunted turkeys enough to really know their general behaviors, but it would seem to make sense to have two setups. The one in the field could help force them into a better situation for you sitting along the edge.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I wouldn’t waste any more time sitting in a blind until I tried a scoot and shoot mission. Hide somewhere else on the field edge before dawn with a scoot and shoot setup ready to go. The ideal situation would be hiding below the brow of a rise in the ground so you can crawl out into the field and then deploy the scoot/shoot decoy and slowly come over the rise and into sight of the flock.

Scoot and shoot seems to be largely about timing and situation, you need the time of year when the Toms are assembling their harems and are highly defensive and you need them on open ground so they feel safe in going out to challenge the intruder.

Scoot and shoot is one of those deals where I can’t believe it actually works even sometimes. A friend from the central states sends me videos every year. I don’t have a great setup for it at my place because we lack the big open fields, but I keep the decoy ready and sooner or later it’s going to pay off.

In your situation, I’d say there’s a lot to gain by trying it. IMO turkeys are always wary of a blind, even if it’s been there a while, so plopping one in the middle of a field is most likely going to mean the turkeys will be wary and stay well away from it.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I wouldn’t waste any more time sitting in a blind until I tried a scoot and shoot mission. Hide somewhere else on the field edge before dawn with a scoot and shoot setup ready to go. The ideal situation would be hiding below the brow of a rise in the ground so you can crawl out into the field and then deploy the scoot/shoot decoy and slowly come over the rise and into sight of the flock.

Scoot and shoot seems to be largely about timing and situation, you need the time of year when the Toms are assembling their harems and are highly defensive and you need them on open ground so they feel safe in going out to challenge the intruder.

Scoot and shoot is one of those deals where I can’t believe it actually works even sometimes. A friend from the central states sends me videos every year. I don’t have a great setup for it at my place because we lack the big open fields, but I keep the decoy ready and sooner or later it’s going to pay off.

In your situation, I’d say there’s a lot to gain by trying it. IMO turkeys are always wary of a blind, even if it’s been there a while, so plopping one in the middle of a field is most likely going to mean the turkeys will be wary and stay well away from it.

I tend to agree, it is one of the most adrenaline inducing ways to hunt them. But you better have a good feel of your neighbors if private, and NEVER do this on public, or even close to public.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.