Black Friday and Tungsten Gills

• Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Roam around the ice fishing department at any local sporting goods store, and you know there is no shortage of options for panfish jigs. While lead jigs are by far the most common, many ice heads have learned the value of fishing tungsten over the past 8-10 years. The advantage of tungsten over lead is size and weight. Tungsten jigs are heavier with a smaller overall size than a similar lead jig. This allows an angler to fish a smaller jig and still get down quick to finicky panfish quick.

When I’m seeking out bluegills and crappies, rarely do I fish a hole unless I see them first on my Marcum. We all know the frustration of trying to get a tiny jig down 15-20 ft to those bright red lines, only to have them disappear before your bait gets down to them. With tungsten, you can get down to those cruising fish quick.

VMC has a very nice tungsten option. New for this year, the VMC Tubby jig has quickly become my go-to jig for fishing crappies and gills. Rigged with bait or plastic, this jig has been ultra effective. The Power Gap hook has afforded me very few missed bites and solid hookups.

Here is a “Tubby” gill from this morning. She gracefully posed for this quick pic and went back. I rigged the jig with a Trigger-X 1″ minnow in “Blood Red” color.
    Stay safe fellas.

scmelik
    South Dakota

good grief Andy that thing is a hog. I love tungsten and unless I am fishing a spoon Im fishing tungsten. I have tried a lot of different brands and models some are good and some are bad but they are still better at fishing faster than lead.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

good grief Andy that thing is a hog.

No joke. That is an awesome gill. By chance did you get a length on that one Andy? If I had to guess I’d say it was pushing 11″.

scmelik
    South Dakota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>scmelik wrote:</div>
    good grief Andy that thing is a hog.

No joke. That is an awesome gill. By chance did you get a length on that one Andy? If I had to guess I’d say it was pushing 11″.

Andy has little hands so it makes things look bigger, I’m saying its no more than 10 1/4. Andy you might have company on Sunday haha.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Haha, I have a good idea on the length, but it went back before I could use a tape.

With Sunday’s forecasted wind, I’m pretty sure I’ll be after roosters, not on the ice.

Bryan Myers

That is a tank gill! I love the hooks on the tubby jig it’s better than any other tungsten I have used in the past.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.