Bison Hunt

• trapsht
    Rockford, Il

I’m pondering the idea of a late season archery bison hunt. The concept of a free range bison hunt is difficult, and expensive to find. The vast majority of these hunts are on bison ranches. I few of the outfitters advertise 10,000 ac ranches, so hopefully it won’t feel like shooting in a corral. I would normally never consider a high fence hunt, but I really want a bison shoulder mount. We buy grass feed beef year round, so why not eat bison for awhile. Does anyone have any experience with bison hunting??

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

If it works out that would be one awesome mount, and a lot of “beef”, had to notice your from Rockford, I’m from Davis, Il which is 45min west. Good Luck I hope it all works out.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s an interesting proposition.

Technically speaking, I believe outside of national parks, the only true free range bison left in North America are in Canada. If we define free range as completely unconfined by fences.

I’ve seen hunting TV shows where they went after bison with a bow in northern Alberta, I believe. Interesting hunt, essentially a chess match with a rather large and ornery opponent. One certainly wants to have a fast exit strategy when trying to get within 20-30 yards.

Would be really interested to hear the story when you go.

Grouse

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

A group of us were buying bison on the hoof and splitting it up. We found there was variability. The ground meat was always good, but the cuts sometimes were terrific and sometimes tough. The farmer we bought from sold us animals no older than 24 months. He said those 2000 pounders you see roaming the prairie while visiting the national parks are too tough to eat the cut meat.

Quintin Biermann

I know a few states have hunts that you can apply for I would also look to some of the indian reservations as they have smaller herds you can check into. Free Range is a loose term as you stated, I know The buffalo in South Dakota’s Custer state park are technically free range, but in the end they get herded up every year for testing. – QB

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

A buddy of mine just got a big beast in Wyoming. I’ll see if he can get me some details. He was rifle hunting in what looked to be very wide open country but he said in the end he was able to get archery close.

desperado

the bison on the Moise range in NW Montana are technically free range; the area is not a national park, but has been a National Wildlife Refuge for just over 100 years now

desperado

the state of Montana holds wild bison hunts in the southern part of the state (where it borders Yellowstone Park) for bison which migrate out of Yellowstone
    applications for tags must be made by May 1
    tag drawing (lottery) occurs in Sept
    hunting season is Nov-Feb

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.