Birds

• gary d
    cordova,il

Well spring is here. I seen my first robins and red wing black bird. Red wings are my sure sign that warm weather is here to stay. Love to see them!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Disappointed I didn’t have one flock visit the yard this year. I hear them, but seldom see them.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We’ve had robins all winter, but I have not see a RWBD yet. You know it’s spring when they arrive!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Now redwing black birds I have heard all winter. Not sure if they are still around, but they probably are as the grackles are and I think they are getting ready to move north. I think they travel together.

Ice Cap

I’ve really noticed the lack of birds all around. I started to notice it up at the lake last fall. The lack of even just sparrows was noticeable. I’ve hardly even seen a nuthatch this winter. Our lilac bush outside the kitchen window usually has nuthatches perching and buzzing in and out of it all day long. Not this winter.

There have been reports that bird populations have declined by the millions recently and they have not found a reason for it yet.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The Buffleheads are showing up on the river. I spotted a robin the other day and other reports of them can be found.

One word about robins and spring. My Dad and I would always get excited when a few robins would show up…thinking they “know something”.

Many times we’ve had a ton of snow and realized they are just another stupid bird. Maybe a little more stupid then the others. coffee

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Some Robins don’t migrate. Nature’s way of getting a head start on prime breeding ground from what I’ve read. Singles occasionally stop by all winter at our crab apple tree. I have noticed less English sparrows the last couple years and that’s a good thing.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We saw two groups of Trumpeter Swans an the open water at Lake City today.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

There have been reports that bird populations have declined by the millions recently and they have not found a reason for it yet.

Interesting articles out there. coffee Was not aware of the significant decline. But now that you mention it, was a slow winter at the bird feeders.

-J.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

English sparrows aren’t as common down here. I only see them at stores like home Depot and the grocery store.

Deleted

I stepped in dog poop today. It wasn’t frozen. For some reason I felt good about that?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I stepped in dog poop today. It wasn’t frozen. For some reason I felt good about that?

A few weeks ago, someone’s dog pooped in my yard and didn’t pick it up. It was so frozen solid that when I flung it into the street with a shovel it slide halfway down the block like a hockey puck.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Saw a few redwing blackbirds in the metro area on Sunday!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ve really noticed the lack of birds all around. I started to notice it up at the lake last fall. The lack of even just sparrows was noticeable. I’ve hardly even seen a nuthatch this winter. Our lilac bush outside the kitchen window usually has nuthatches perching and buzzing in and out of it all day long. Not this winter.

Where do you get a bird counting job? Seriously, how would counting birds even be possible? Better chance of counting all the fish in the world.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have always noticed changes in bird populations. The ebb and flow is natural.
    It is stated that Kestrels are declining sharply. Last summer I noticed more than ever so hopefully the are bouncing back. At least around here.
    I remember seeing my first eagle when I was a kid. Northern lower Michigan.
    All the adults raced to the window and outside. It was a big deal to see one.
    Now they are common. I have to watch out so they don’t steal my puppy!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

They have not found a reason for it yet?

Of course they have, if it’s not cats it has to be US Bank Stadium… smirk

Attachments:
    1. USBankbird.jpg

Ice Cap

^^^Haha!! Add in those giant windmills supposedly generating all that electricity. They kill birds by the thousands! As long as I get my Hummingbirds back in spring!

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Anyone supply nesting materials for the birds?

I have a long haired German Shepard & and long haired mouse catcher. I have been saving their hair from brushings for the last month. I’m just not sure what I can put it in and hang it out for the birds to use. Any ideas?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have a long haired German Shepard & and long haired mouse catcher. I have been saving their hair from brushings for the last month. I’m just not sure what I can put it in and hang it out for the birds to use. Any ideas?

Put it in a mesh onion bag and hang it from your clothes line pole. I cut swamp grass and ball it up and put it in mesh onion sacks and the birds can empty the bag in a day when they’re building nests.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Finally saw my first robin here in Rhinelander this morning. Foot of snow on the ground here still, so no idea what he was thinking. I feel like robins pick the dumb ones to be the scouts. “Hey Lyle, why don’t you fly further North and check it out? Let us know OK?”

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Sandhill Cranes “ratcheting” away in northern Anoka Co. yesterday. Standing in a still frozen pothole marsh.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

For me spring starts when I step outside and hear the male cardinals singing. (That was a couple of weeks ago)

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I have noticed the birds have really hit the feeders the last two weeks. I’ve got one of those new Yankee squirrel thrower ones that holds 5 pounds, all winter it would take 2-3 weeks to go through it, I filled it Sunday and looked last night and it was empty.

Brad Dimond

The Yankee squirrel spinners are fantastic. It’s worth buying one just to watch the squirrels go flying. Watching the birds feed is gravy.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have noticed the birds have really hit the feeders the last two weeks. I’ve got one of those new Yankee squirrel thrower ones that holds 5 pounds, all winter it would take 2-3 weeks to go through it, I filled it Sunday and looked last night and it was empty.

That’s strange – I’ve noticed almost no activity at feeders. probably the fewest amount of activity ever. They have been really off all winter. The last few weeks even the corn isn’t getting eaten by anything. Normally the tree rats eat it up. I have hardly seen one the last few weeks. Not a single visit by deer. I could hardly keep them from emptying the bird feeder all winter. Its really been strange

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Seems like a large influx of gulls this week.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

In my mind, nothing sounds like spring more than a turkey gobble.

Ice Cap

I’m noticing a definite lack of birds. Perhaps it more of a regional thing? We live on a dead end road with thick woods on two sides. I actually walked around the property looking for signs of birds. Crows were all to be seen. My in laws are on a lake about 45 minute drive from us and are big on feeding the birds. They commented they are saving a lot of money not having to buy bird feed this year.
    Very strange.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>IceNEyes1986 wrote:</div>

Put it in a mesh onion bag and hang it from your clothes line pole. I cut swamp grass and ball it up and put it in mesh onion sacks and the birds can empty the bag in a day when they’re building nests.

Good idea Tom! Thanks!

I’ve been hearing and seeing the geese & cranes for about 2 weeks up at my place. Had a pair of Purple Finches show up this last weekend too. No Robins yet & we rarely get Cardinals for some reason..? All our winter birds (woodpeckers(all 5 or 6 species), nut hatches, chickadees) have been very active lately as well.

Deuces

If there’s a lack of birds I blame the squirrel population. Those things will savage all nests. Glad I’m doing my part to thin them out

Saw a few Sandhills on the way up 35 today!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.