Big Sandy Ice

• Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Wondering what the ice report is out there. Has anyone been walking out?

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Yep they are out and about!

dbright
    Cambridge

Found as little as 2.5″ last week. I have not been out since.

justfishmn
    Pine City, Minnesota

Anybody have any recent updates on ice conditions?

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Fished big sandy on monday. We had to work for everything we got we drilled well over a hundred holes and moved often. We ended up with only 8 crappies and 1 perch and we threw back 4 more crappies. We marked fish all day but very very finicky. We also missed a lot of fish on short hits. We focused on deep holes over 25 to 45 FOW and the crappies were 20 feet down. Everyone we talked to had the same report of the finicky bite. Biggest was 13 and the perch was 12. We worked way to hard for the fish. We tried waxies and minnows. I can tell you that the fish won this round. Youe know its bad when you can’t even get a tullibee. I would like to learn how to walleye fish out there in the winter if anyone knows anything.

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Ice was clear and 12-13 inches (not in the narrows) trucks were all over.

justfishmn
    Pine City, Minnesota

Thanks for the report Allan yeah the whitefish out there have been slow ever since the flooding a few years ago and most of the died off. I think it will be a few more years before we can catch them consistently again.

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

we marked quiet a few but yes the flood hurt a lot of stuff and changed a lot of trout streams and the st louis you have to learn everything all over again.

hottoddytipup
    Crystal

Anyone have a report on Big Sandy? Heading up after work to fish some of the smaller lakes. Just wondering what the big lake has for thickness. Much appreciated.

-TW

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.