Big Sandy Eagle Point Report 6/22/19

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

This week’s report 6/22/19
    We headed north this weekend thinking it was going to be a washout. Much to our surprise we were blessed with a gorgeous Saturday! This week I decided to try a lake that I haven’t been on in at least 10 years. My recollection was that it was a semi-stained lake with an average for the area panfish/walleye bite. I then proceeded to make a series of errors… We ended up leaving a little late that morning, I didn’t have any worries because it’s a stained lake. Well upon arrival it was obvious that I was WRONG, clear and clean. As a matter of fact, we had a good mat of weeds in the 6-12fow range. My plan was to utilize plastics in the 7-10fow range, but it was obvious that I couldn’t find a good method to make this happen. Like most of the lakes in the area DNR mapping is bleak. Our side imaging on the boat was not working which became a major problem holding a weed edge. It was also becoming obvious that this was not going to be a mid-morning bite with the clear water. We did the next best thing and put on some 8-10 depth glass shads and fired up the kicker. We attempted to stay in the 12-18fow at about 2.1mph. We were blessed with every snot rocket known to man. Good fight and good action. We headed back for a late lunch and a game or two of bags. We decided to regroup and take my wife and daughter out on Sandy for a boat cruise and pull a few husky jerks. As usual it took no time to put a few topside but nothing to write home about. It was very relaxing, and you can tell with the boat traffic that everyone is ready for the 4th. The boat traffic is picking up and the sandbars are full when the sun is out. I did see a posting of a boat that crashed into the shoreline over on the east sandbar. Be careful out on the water over the next couple weeks!!! The clouds and wind rolled in and we called it a great day. I am still hearing of a decent panfish bite off the docks and typical weed lines. Look for areas with less boat traffic and you will find your fish. Lets start gearing up for the 4th! Fireworks will be off Floe Island on Thursday July 4th at dusk.

Many of you have seen the duck decoys just past McGrath. If you would like to know the history, please check out the special aired Sunday night. There is also a Facebook page, link below.

Ditch Ducks Kare 11 link:
    https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/land-of-10000-stories/ditch-ducks-become-a-highway-65-phenomenon/89-e80e71df-867b-462f-a9ea-677edf3cd29b

Facebook Ditch Ducks link:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/196793467618127/

Eagle Point will be having its typical festivities this year on Saturday July 6th. (see flyer on Facebook page, link below)
    Kids Games
    Golf cart/ATV/UTV parade
    Bean \Bag Tourny
    Slippy Tippy (Adult Games, Awesome spectator sport!)

Eagle Point Facebook link:
    https://www.facebook.com/eaglepointbigsandy/

Good luck on the water and have fun with the family!

Shannon Kruse

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Thanks for sharing your reports, but the ditch duck story is awesome. Thanks for sharing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.