Big Sandy Eagle Point Report 6/15/19

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I know there are a ton on lurkers on the Aitkin McGregor site and we have very little for reports. I am going to attempt to post a few more as we start to get into the vacation time of the year. Most of my reports will be specific to Big Sandy. Yes, there are a lot of small lakes in the area that will produce panfish, northerns and walleye. Those lakes also need the protection to keep a population for all.

My name is Shannon Kruse, my family and I have been an Army Core of Engineers campers turned seasonal campers at Eagle Point Campground. We have been in the area every summer for 20+ years. I use the lake for both fishing and recreation. Eagle Point is located just after the Hwy 65 bridge on the south side of the lake and east side of the road. They offer seasonal sites with a few weekend campsites. They have a bar/restaurant with great burgers and sandwiches. You can access the bar by water or land.

On to last weekends report! 6/15/19
    This year I am trying things out of the normal and teaching a few in the campsite how to use these techniques. Saturday the sun was shining, and the wind was rocking! We started basic on the windy shorelines trolling silver/blue and clown husky jerks in the 7-10 FOW range. It was producing small northerns, 13” walleyes and a few small perch. I then switched over to 1-ounce bottom bouncers and 3ft spinners in a variety colors. This technique proved to be what they wanted. Keeping the speed down in the .8-1.0 range was the best. The nice thing about bottom bouncers is it is very easy to fish 15fow on one pass and 7fow on the next. Most of the time on the weekend the boat traffic will push them deep or shallow. I was running out of time, rain coming, I would have switched to a true lindy with a 3/8ounce weight and would have produced more fish. If you are vacationing with a dock that is still a great place to fish. Reports are still flooding in that keeper walleyes and panfish are keeping people busy!

Good luck on the water and have fun with the family!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Thanks for the report Sand-burr! We’ve had a cabin on Davis bay for about 5 years now and always enjoy hearing how the bite is going. One of the best walleye bites I’ve had there was on a spinner rig with crawler pulled behind a bottom bouncer on Father’s Day a few years ago. Haven’t fished it nearly as much as I’d like in the last year, but that will change soon!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.