Big Move

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

For those of you who do not know yet, my wife and I have made the big move down to Saint Paul recently. I haven’t been the most active on here lately, but many of you have become like extended family to me over the past few years, so an update has been overdue. For those who don’t know, my wife and I have had some difficulty in starting a family of our own, but I am excited to announce a future fisherman will be joining us between the end of December and the beginning of January! This move will allow us to be close to family and give our arriving son many cousins to grow up around. It is a big change, moving from the northwoods to traffic and city lights, but now I will be closer to many of you! If anyone is looking for a fishing buddy around the metro, or a buddy to escape the metro and fish elsewhere, feel free to send me a message. I am in the process of getting my insurance licenses right now and with the baby on the way I will not have a lot of free time–but with patience and persistence–we will be reeling in fish together soon!

big_g
    Isle, MN

that is a BIG move ! Congrats on the coming addition to your family ! woot

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

A little culture shock to say the least but a small sacrifice to make to become a parent.
    Congrats!

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

Ben congrats to you and your wife, deffinately will be an adjustment but a small price to pay in the long run! toast

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Congrats on the addition! (and sorry to hear about the move…)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOL! X2. )

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnrabbit wrote:</div>

LOL! X2. )

Ha! x3! In my heart, at least. I’m a guy who moved his wife and young children 6 hrs AWAY from all of our extended families to an area where we knew literally no one…we love it here and have adjusted(mostly), but I have to say we grossly underestimated the stress and impact it would have on us-and the kids. Sounds like you put some good forethought into this decision…it’s definitely easier to raise a family closer to a “support” system. Good for you, and congratulations!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

First off congratulations on the addition to the family!! I went through the move from the country to the big city 30 years ago. I lasted 20 years and had to get back to my roots.

I spent the first 5 years of my life in Ely, MN. My dad logged in the Boundary Waters area and we live in Camp 10 a logging camp outside Ely. So we have a little in common, My parents then moved us back to Wisconsin before I started school.

If you have time this winter and want to get together to do some fishing either Metro or other areas let me know.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Congrats on the family addition. Hope everything goes well and you don’t feel a thing – LOL

Making that type of a move is not an easy decision, and the adjustment can take awhile. Don’t live with regrets, just look forward and do what you feel is best for your family.

Best wishes to you and your family toast toast toast

Hoyt4
    NULL

Congrats on the addition to the family that is great news and little bit of sacrifice for the help of your family.

Make sure to hit up the ice fishing show this weekend since you are now in town.:)

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Make sure to hit up the ice fishing show this weekend since you are now in town.:)

Man Kurty, you just love that ice show don’t you…

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Thanks guys! I was afraid the adjustment was going to be more difficult, but as many of you stated, it really is a small sacrifice when compared to the gain. I WILL be going to the Saint Paul Ice Show this weekend, not sure which day(s) yet though; hope to see some of you there!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Welcome to “the 612” as they used to say up north. Congrats on the pending arrival of the new family member!

Grouse

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Welcome to the jungle Ben waytogo woot whistling toast bawling

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Thanks Will…
    By the way, what does the fish say down here?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Thanks Will…
    By the way, what does the fish say down here?

I’d tell you but even with 2000 miles between us I think Ben Brettingen would drive home just to break my kneecaps.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Ben – congrats on the family! We are excited to have you here locally

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats on the new upcoming addition to the family. Welcome back to IDO. waytogo waytogo

Kris Lindberg

Congrats on the kid! I have some exciting news for you. You now live near one of the best fisheries in Minnesota. Pool 2 of the Mississippi river, it’s catch and release only, but fishing is open year round and that stretch of river is full of trophy fish (especially walleye) and if you want to keep some fish you just have to drive a little farther south down near Red Wing, the whole river is full of fish. Good luck in the city, and good luck in all your new family endeavors.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Congrats Ben!

You’re welcome to join me on the ice/in the boat any time. Are you living in St. Paul itself or a suburb? I’m up in Mahtomedi(look it up). I still have your number, I’ll text you once we get some ice and maybe we can hit the ice a bit.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how cute some of the sunfish and crappie I catch are.

If you have a snowmobile then there are some pretty decent options within an hour of the cities.

tim hurley

Congrats on the kid—–some good ice fishing for pannies here in the metro, go to your up north lakes for walters -Good Luck!

Timmy

Good luck Ben. Congrats on the family news! That is wonderful!

The city scene wasn’t for me, but I hope it treats you well.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Thanks guys,
    Logan, I am in St. Paul near the phalen chain of lakes, just a hop, skip, and a jump from you. I know a spot or two with some really nice gills near you we will have to explore some time!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Thanks guys,
    Logan, I am in St. Paul near the phalen chain of lakes, just a hop, skip, and a jump from you. I know a spot or two with some really nice gills near you we will have to explore some time!

Anytime dude, you are not far at all! My wife and I just had a baby in June, so we are in a similar boat :).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.