Big Island Sickness

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    That number of yuppie city folk in one area makes me sick to my stomach

Make sweeping judgments much?

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess you weren’t one of the ~1000 people $hitting and urinating in the water then swimming in it during the past week……and wondering why you got sick?

Minnetonka is surrounded by a metropolis and to say it’s polluted is an understatement. Those rich green lawns piled with fertilizer up to water’s edge, 40′ boats of intoxicated people, or thousands of people littering the water with trash and bodily fluids while they “party” waist deep are just a few examples of why the place has no appeal to me.

To each their own. If I offended you, my bad?

Oh I hear ya. I’m not a fan of many of the activities, people, or lawn practices of those on and around the lake. Just remember we ain’t all that way around here

When I speak in sweeping generalizations I mentally exclude the IDOers with my insults…but should probably specify as those here (you included) are not the intended target. Best of luck out there. If you do fish Minnetonka for God’s sake don’t be afraid to snap a few pictures when you roll by Big Island on a Saturday afternoon peace

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Grew up on, lived next to, fished tonka over 50yrs, parents still live on. When surface water temps hit 55 in the spring I’m done, won’t launch on that lake until it goes below 50 in fall.

Pete S

partying in an oversized toilet…what could possibly go wrong.

Deuces

Minnetonka is surrounded by a metropolis and to say it’s polluted is an understatement. Those rich green lawns piled with fertilizer up to water’s edge, 40′ boats of intoxicated people, or thousands of people littering the water with trash and bodily fluids while they “party” waist deep are just a few examples of why the place has no appeal to me.

Good call man. Few acres here and there of lawn fertilizer with some youngins partying it up, compared to your precious river with 10s of thousands of acres of livestock and farm drain tile to contend with. waytogo

But please by all means, stay away, it’s filthy and trashy and full of sewage as many here say. doah

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

It’s not just filthy, it is a cesspool during warm water temps. But please, defend as an outsider.

craig s

It’s a lake in mpls,
    what is so surprising that it’s a sewer of a lake?
    It’s only massively populated..

HMoshier

Urine doesn’t cause the e-coli. Urine is generally sterile unless you have an infection since the liver and kidneys filter out all the bad things.

“Urine contains fluids, salts and waste products but is sterile or free of bacteria, viruses and other disease-causing organisms. A UTI occurs when bacteria from another source, such as the nearby anus, gets into the urethra. The most common bacteria found to cause UTIs is Escherichia coli (E. coli).”
    https://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/urinary_tract_infections/

The e-coli comes from the #2 variety of bodily discharges so sewers, black water tanks, etc can cause it. With our large, year-round goose population, our local lake gets an e-coli outbreak if we have a warm, high water spring. No doubt dumping raw sewage from the surrounding area of Minnetonka has a big impact on the lake.

Deuces

It’s not just filthy, it is a cesspool during warm water temps. But please, defend as an outsider.

Perhaps you have historical data backing this up?

The watershed historically is average to mostly better than average water quality. Just bc a lake is clear doesn’t mean it’s clean, but the weedlines go down dam near 25′ in some areas.

Had a bunch of drunkin yahoos all crowded on a beach, $hit is gonna happen once in awhile.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190714-073028.png

matt

Tonka eventually drains into the river so add that to whatever else goes into the river and heads south.Every body of water near any city gets foul runoff.Blame those that use the lake or blame those that live anywhere near it,either way alot of people would have to change their ways for any substantial improvement.Only a cesspool in the summer when the water is warm?If so where does all that go when the water cools down?

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

So the take away is? If you go there to fish and the largemouth bass splashes you in the face upon release .DO NOT LICK YOUR LIPS!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190716-063013_Facebook.jpg

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Hadn’t heard of a boat discharging sewage so far other than a comment on here, but if that happened would be an easy explanation for such a large number of people getting sick.

I’ll take the small lake in peace and quiet any day over that literal crap show.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The water quality in Tonka is actually quite good. Scientific data and water sampling shows that its as healthy as any other lake of similar size. As far as the specific area around Big Island on the 4th, I’m sure its very contaminated with “something” which they have not yet been able to confirm.

I fish out there in the spring for crappies and muskies late in the summer and fall. I refuse to go out there in the warm summer months. By 10am there’s just too many recreational watercraft for this guy. The bass fishing is ranked 2nd in the state behind Mille Lacs though, so there’s that.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The solution to pollution is dilution…

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I like that they actually have to tell people this… “don’t use the lake as your toilet!” made my day.

Attachments:
    1. 23315B1A-893A-4024-85E5-6CF888891052.jpeg

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.