Big head carp (asian)

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Several were caught outside of the bayport this weekend. At least 6 and they were big. Sad news

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

WI needs to start kicking in Money!!

Link to video in general forum.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I saw the same one on FB. I guess it was just a matter of “when”

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d like to know how we haven’t heard of a single one being caught by an angler till this weekend, when 6+ were caught.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Good question
    They were big fish.

Proflow

Maybe a school of big ones came up together?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The rollers on the dams were dropped this last weekend.

They don’t need a fish ladder to get to the St Croix.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I’d like to know how we haven’t heard of a single one being caught by an angler till this weekend, when 6+ were caught.

Since they only eat plankton they have to be snagged…

Look how hard it is to catch a Paddlefish..

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

They are closing the St Anthony falls lock tomorrow at midnight. All will be good after that.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

They are closing the St Anthony falls lock tomorrow at midnight. All will be good after that.

…They should of closed something below IOWA a long time ago.!! … I have seen the jumpers in ill. Before. So that being said the other night a boat was launching here at EVERTS. When they backed in the water this fish start jumping out of the water a few times right behind the boat trailer. It wasn’t a big fish maybe 4 or 5lbs. It sure looked like a silver jumper to me.:???: …rrr

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have seen the same thing a few times up here on pool 2.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

FYI – There seems to me a number of folks posting photos on the FB page of St. Croix Fishing that appear to be taken from their homes.

The DNR has expressed concern these catches are not being reported (and transported).

Please call the TIP line or any DNR office if these are caught.
    Not only is it the law, but it’s the right thing to do.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I have seen the jumpers in ill. Before. So that being said the other night a boat was launching here at EVERTS. When they backed in the water this fish start jumping out of the water a few times right behind the boat trailer. It wasn’t a big fish maybe 4 or 5lbs. It sure looked like a silver jumper to me.:???: …rrr

I hope this was reported. EVEN if it’s a false alarm the DNR can’t check it out without being alerted to it. That would be a perfect area to electro fish and then we would know for sure.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The DNR has expressed concern these catches are not being reported (and transported).

And my first thought was that if everyone took a class and got a sticker this wouldn’t happen…

Pretty clear from that presentation BK showed that they are certainly able to travel up nort. Should be more and more common sight. Whether they can reproduce and flood the system is the question.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

“…They should of closed something below IOWA a long time ago.!! … I have seen the jumpers in ill. Before. So that being said the other night a boat was launching here at EVERTS. When they backed in the water this fish start jumping out of the water a few times right behind the boat trailer. It wasn’t a big fish maybe 4 or 5lbs. It sure looked like a silver jumper to me.:???: …rrr”

They’ve been in Iowa several years already, and even up into Nebraska and South Dakota up to the dam at Yankton SD. Iv’e seen jumpers in mot of the oxbow lakes also after the flood 4 years ago.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Huh…So whats so bad about these fish? If we can all live with these little mussels in our lakes and these new invasive milfoil weeds why not be happy about these asian carp? Can’t pick and choose which invasives you like…All AIS is wrong for our waters folks. So how do I get that sticker again? smile …RR

chomps
    Sioux City IA

seen a couple boats come in with cracked windshields, saw a few bruises, I know they can do more damage, but that’s what I bear witness to. Might also make it really hard to water ski or pulling a tube could get interesting.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Huh…So whats so bad about these fish? If we can all live with these little mussels in our lakes and these new invasive milfoil weeds why not be happy about these asian carp? Can’t pick and choose which invasives you like…All AIS is wrong for our waters folks. So how do I get that sticker again? smile …RR

If they can reproduce they will have a negative impact to the ecosystems…
    Might not impact catfish negatively though. Will probably reduce our bait bills too. Might be a lot of rangers going for cheap if the walleyes are few between though. So there’s benefits, but not necessarily to the ecosystem.

These other invasives you refer to RR… the laws in place or intended to go in place do not reduce the spreading of these invasives. Won’t argue they have an impact – some negative some positive. I will however argue that we are all transfering these invasives within the laws Frequently.
    Anchor rope. Water left in hull, Nooks and Crannies in trailer and other frequently placed in water items related to fishing/hunting.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Protect your throttle.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I must be missing your point RR…and the thread where anyone was a proponent of spreading any AIS. But if you think senseless bureaucracy will help, feel free to do it voluntarily, I’m sure the State/DNR would appreciate the additional funds and may even give you a sticker for it!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Want to talk invasive? I could walk across the backs of tilapia on most bodies of water down here. Yet, I don’t hear much complaining. I complain only because they are mostly vegetarian and hard to catch.

Just do what they do down here, rename them to something non-threatening like non-native and be done with it. Stop wasting money and emotion on it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You need to get back to MN and run for Governor.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Rethought my post…not worth it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.