Best Weather App

• jake47
    WI

I used to really like WeatherUnderground, but I feel like it is really slow lately and not all that accurate. Any suggestions on a better iPhone app?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

All weather apps are going to calculate their forecast from the same data so accuracy isn’t going to improve with a different app.

It more about how you want it displayed. WU displays it in graph style which is great for comparison from day to day. I can get a summary of what the weather is going to be like in a split second versus reading through a text forecast. That’s why I use it.

zooks

All weather apps are going to calculate their forecast from the same data so accuracy isn’t going to improve with a different app.

This is correct – each place might interpret the models differently but they all get the same models from NWS. I use 4 different apps (TWC, Accu, WU plus WTForecast for comedy) and usually end up back on TWC for force of habit.

The NWS Twin Cities website has lots of good stuff on it and I’d also suggest you follow them on FB or Twitter, I use Twitter and they put out lots of good stuff there. Hope this helps, good luck

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

For general weather I use TWC app out of habit.

I wish there was a decent app that also graphed barometer trends. If anyone knows of one, please share.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I wish there was a decent app that also graphed barometer trends. If anyone knows of one, please share.

Wunderstation does but I think it’s only a tablet/iPad app. It’s just as buggy as the wunderground app.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I have a fishing and hunting solunar time app that has weather and barometric pressure as well as best fishing times related to the moon phases. I’ve never found the moon phase best time to fish to be very accurate to my catch rate though. Here’s one page it has many

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2019-03-01-20-36-24.png

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Wunderstation does but I think it’s only a tablet/iPad app. It’s just as buggy as the wunderground app.

I’ll have to check it out. I typically use Wunderground online to check barometric trends when planning hunting/fishing trips. Not sure why more weather mobile apps don’t include this data. (at least in a easy to read trend graph)

I have a fishing and hunting solunar time app that has weather and barometric pressure as well as best fishing times related to the moon phases. I’ve never found the moon phase best time to fish to be very accurate to my catch rate though. Here’s one page it has many

Gino, what app is that? Not that I want ONE MORE to install, but it’s a step in the right direction at least.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Gino, what app is that? Not that I want ONE MORE to install, but it’s a step in the right direction at least.
    [/quote]

X2 I like the way that one looks

I used to really like WeatherUnderground, but I feel like it is really slow lately and not all that accurate. Any suggestions on a better iPhone app?

The app has sucked speedwise on and off in the past. I use a web browser to access WU with better luck and noticed that if you use a bookmarked or cashed link, that also can perform poorly.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jamin wrote:</div>

I’m not sure on the app, but the most current mobile web links show pressure graphs when clicking the 10-day tab along the bottom. Try going to main WUpage, then to the location. If you poke around, it seems you can access older WU web configurations. I think it’s partially weatherstation dependant too. Some are without pressure data.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190302-070942_Samsung-Internet.jpg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I think its Fishing and hunting solunar time. If I remember right the app was free but you had to pay a one time fee for advanced features. I’ve had it for years and rarely look at it.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2019-03-02-08-10-32.png

Tom Anastasi

“All weather apps are going to calculate their forecast from the same data so accuracy isn’t going to improve with a different app.”

Not completely true. WU actually uses people’s personal weather stations to more ‘accurately’ offer forecasts to exact location.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

Two guys at work came from a private weather forecast shop a few years ago so I asked them. They said NOAA is they best source if you are not buying high end forecast. They didn’t think to highly of the ones mentioned above. There is no app, you can save it to your desktop.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not completely true. WU actually uses people’s personal weather stations to more ‘accurately’ offer forecasts to exact location.

They use personal weather stations to display local CURRENT weather. They do not use personal weather stations to FORECAST the weather. They use FORECAST data from the NWS and/or other standard weather models and give a more precise forecast to your exact location just like every other weather app.

Click on the summary forecast once. It is identical to the TWC text forecast. Also be aware the WU is owned the TWC so these weather forecasts will be the same regardless.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.