Best Way To Take Pictures When Fishing Solo

• TMF89

I’ve been doing a small amount of research on this, and it seems like the most common option out there for some sort of clamp on cell phone holder (which seems like the most simple/logical route to me) are $10-20 flexible options found on Amazon, most of which have fairly mixed reviews. I’m not looking to spend a ton of money, but what have you guys found to work best for getting pictures when you’re in the boat by yourself? Thanks.

Sharon
    SE Metro

How about a selfie stick?? mrgreen Sometimes the automatic camera timers on phones can be finicky, but they are usually pretty simple on basic point-and-shoot cameras. I would recommend getting a boat camera. They stand up better on a flat surface (like a boat seat) and the timers are usually easy to set. I like Canons over Nikons, but both are good cameras. I’m just used to Canons.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

It depends- are you talking about taking fish pictures or selfie/attention portraits? If it’s fish pictures then it’s easy. You lay the fish on a tape measure on the floor and take a picture of it. I don’t have any pointers for selfies sorry.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Some kind of phone clamping device.

I attach mine to my windshield.

I know where it needs to be and how my phone needs to sit in it before I ever catch a fish. When your trophy makes it to the boat your much quicker when already prepared how to take a photo.

I use a camera app that allows me to take time lapse photos.

I’ll set it to snap a picture ever 2 seconds, hold the fish for the picture. Tosss fish back and stop camera. You can count your photos so you know how much time it takes you to return the fish.

I can generally unhook, measure, weigh, and photo in under 45 seconds fish out of water. That’s fish up to 70 pounds.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180203131530617.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

When I used to ice fish, I kept a pole with spike along. Spike the pole into the ice, had something on the end of pole to hold phone. Easy peasy.

TMF89

Sharon, I hadn’t thought of a selfie stick, but that might work pretty well for panfish or smaller fish like bass or walleye!

Pete, that’s what I do now, and while it certainly works for keeping records, I’d still prefer to figure out a way to get myself and the fish in the picture together.

FishBlood, do you mind sharing what kind of clamping mount you use? I was thinking of something along those lines.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I know the fish don’t look as big but when you are solo use your fish fingers to hold your phone instead of the fish.
    I put my phone on the plugins for my depth finder and angle it so I am in the picture before I take the fish out of the net. I would not suggest doing this in big waves.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

FBRM, I hope you kept that hammer handle. Don’t want those tiny pike eating all the baby walleyes.

///nice fish!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

This works well.

Cell Phone – Tripod

I have a Samsung 7 so I just tell my phone “cheese” and it takes a pic. Works slick in the boat or ice house.

Attachments:
    1. Team-Work.jpg

Sharon
    SE Metro

I have a Samsung 7 so I just tell my phone “cheese” and it takes a pic. Works slick in the boat or ice house.

You can do that!? Okay I’m going to have to look into that option! That would work better for group photos than setting the timer.

munchy
    NULL

BEST WAY TO TAKE PICTURES WHEN FISHING SOLO

I’ve heard that teenage girls prefer the duck lips. You could try that.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Not a good picture, but if you look at the left windshield you’ll see the clamp. I keep it there, it is bent and Ready to be placed right above my depth finder when the moment comes.

When your trying to fit 60″ fish in your picture it helps to setup your camera, stretch your arms out and take a picture so you can figure out what works… BEFORE you catch the fish.

Don’t make trophy fish that you want to release wait any longer than absolutely necessary.

Practice makes perfect.

I even have a method for when it is raining. Got to be prepared because you never know when the big one bites.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20180513131016915.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You can do that!?

Yup. Works really good for groups and you always have everyone in the photo.

Attachments:
    1. MN-Opener-2018.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Sharon, you can also start video recording with your voice as well.

It makes things really easy!

video recording

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I don’t know if this will post or not, but I use an app called camerazoom. After taking a time lapse it asks me if I want to make a gif, someone’s I push the wrong button (fish slimy hands) but it is kind of neat gif too.
    I’ll try to post

Attachments:
    1. CZ_Gif_6.gif

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Hey that worked! Cool.

Here’s two more.

Attachments:
    1. CZ_Gif_4.gif

2. CZ_Gif_3.gif

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I also started using the voice command selfies this spring. Works slick. Just prop the phone on the other seat and adjust position as needed.

Dave

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Does the voice thing work on a Iphone?

Regularpaul

I have one of the cheap knockoff gopros that is pretty much dedicated to my boat for solo fishing.

I’ve got a nifty clamp to attach it to my windshield and set the camera on constant record with 10 minute loop. If I catch a big fish I just hold it up to the camera, go back and save the particular loop, then grab screenshots later. Works pretty well and not sure I have $75 into it. Plus I’ve got the benefit of video if I wanna save that too.

These knock-offs that are hitting the market aren’t go-pros but they take surprisingly high quality video.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

TMF just call me, I’ll be your cameraman anytime!

Attachments:
    1. 7C93D986-BAF4-4178-AC6F-620FFC8F98D2.jpeg

2. 622D0F1E-FAA3-4793-9F4E-BEE360730AB8.jpeg

3. DAE35F21-2210-4BE6-A38D-301A29F8103D.jpeg

Kyhl
    Savage

It depends- are you talking about taking fish pictures or selfie/attention portraits? If it’s fish pictures then it’s easy. You lay the fish on a tape measure on the floor and take a picture of it. I don’t have any pointers for selfies sorry.

You mean like this? Put him on the board. Grab camera and got this.
    Captioned the photo, so many fish they are jumping into the boat.

Attachments:
    1. Fish-Jumping-in-the-boat.jpeg

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

I keep a roll of tape in the boat… tape the phone to my seat on a self timer and turn it so you can see what you’re getting. Just make sure you know exactly where it needs to be so you can set up quick and get them back in the water!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4442.jpeg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Those gifs kick ars. peace

Sharon
    SE Metro

Does the voice thing work on a Iphone?

I think you can tell Siri to do it but I’m not sure if that uses the standard camera or not. It doesn’t sound like the iPhone’s standard camera has this function like the Samsungs do.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.