Best Walleye Rod under $100

• drewbop
    Duluth

I’m in the market for a new walleye rigging/jigging rod. I’d like to get something under $100. There are so many choices, and I’ve looked at Fleet, Cabelas, etc and can’t decide which brand I’d like to go for. I’ve only bought rods that are under $40, which work, but think that I’d like to finally upgrade with a trip to LOW next weekend.

Any suggestions for brands to look into?

Thanks!

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I love my Pflueger for a cheapish rod. Works great for a multitude of techniques.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Fenwick eagle gt. Had a st.croix triumph and thought it sucked.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

well over at reeds outdoors they have a sale on rod combos with some great deals. I just bought a pair of Fenwick HMX rods paired with PLuguer President reels. haven’t fished with em yet but considering the quality reputation of Fenwick (PLuguer President reels are great too!), I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better rod/reel combo for less. I will be bringing these to LOTW next month for walleye/smallmouth fishing

knutty

Love my Fenwick HMX rods. Paired with a pflueger president they do everything I need a rod to do.

Knutty

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Limit Creek Smoothie – local MN company that sells really high quality rods and has great service if you ever have an issue.

http://www.limitcreek.com/SpinningRods.html

The 6’6″ rod is also very good and versatile. I have a couple of both and they outfish every other comparable I have used.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I have six of these and they’ve been good. Not sure if a $100 rod will give you much more feel.

dbright
    Cambridge

I picked up a Fenwick hmg for the GF and for the money seems to be a great rod. I believe they were $109 when I bought but I know they can be found cheaper.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I’m with Crappie. Fenwick HMX paired with Pflueger President. I find I use this combo the most as I am afraid people will step on my more expensive rods. The best moderately priced combo I have come across.

zooks

I’m happy with the Limit Creek Smoothie I have, it’s versatile and works well.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

I have six of these and they’ve been good. Not sure if a $100 rod will give you much more feel.

I mean no disrespect at all but to me the Fenwick Eagle line isn’t even comparable to the HMX line. The Eagle line is a slow action with about half of the sensitivity. The HMX line is just a great rod for the money.

The St. Croix Avids are also great. A medium 6’9″ (AVS68MXF) would give you everything you are looking for, but more money. You can get them on Ebay for around $100.

If you want new for $100 I’d say Fenwick HMX!

404 ERROR
    MN

The Bass-X rods are $100 and the MLXF rod is an excellent choice for jigging Walleye…If you can get over the name…

They use the same SCII material that the Eyecon line uses. But at the same time, the Triumphs use SCII also and the Eyecon rods are leaps and bounds better sensitivity wise.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Triumphs use SCII also and the Eyecon rods are leaps and bounds better sensitivity wise.

FYI: The Triumphs aren’t meant to be sensitive.

Eyecon is a great choice as well. In fact I change my vote to an Eyecon

St. Croix Eyecon
    ECS68MXF

shockers
    Rochester

I’m happy with the Limit Creek Smoothie I have, it’s versatile and works well.

X3. Great rod option and good value.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I picked up a Fenwick hmg for the GF and for the money seems to be a great rod. I believe they were $109 when I bought but I know they can be found cheaper.

Reeds Sporting Goods has several Fenwick HMG spinning rods for 59.99 regulary 105. That is a steal.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I’m not in the market for a rod, but was looking at Limit Creek and was impressed. Might wind up getting one for my wife.

ski junkie
    Grantsburg, Wisc

I have heard nothing but great reviews about the Limit Creek Smoothie

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

Okuma Deadeye series, they make about 23 different rods in this series, I have only used the bottom bouncer rods and would not use anything else. My $230 St.Croix bouncer rod is now a pike rod.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

toast

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Another vote for the Limit Creek Smoothie. Great rod for the price, you’d be buying local, and GREAT customer service. Snapped a rod tip off one time and they shipped another one to me within a week. Highly recommend.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>targaman wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

I mean no disrespect at all but to me the Fenwick Eagle line isn’t even comparable to the HMX line. The Eagle line is a slow action with about half of the sensitivity. The HMX line is just a great rod for the money.

The St. Croix Avids are also great. A medium 6’9″ (AVS68MXF) would give you everything you are looking for, but more money. You can get them on Ebay for around $100.

If you want new for $100 I’d say Fenwick HMX!

K…

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I just jumped on the Limit Creek bandwagon and got the smoothy a couple weeks ago. My brother has used this rod for several years and swears by it. I picked mine up at Blue Ribbon. They are 99.00 but were willing to give me a 15% discount because of my good looks. I also use a St Croix and Loomis which are both more than 100.00.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Really like my one piece 8’3 extendable from Limit Creek. Medium light power/fast action like the smo.othie

hnd

fenwick hmx for all my jig fishing needs (except vertical i have eyecons for this but i bet these fenwicks would be just as good) work really well and are night and day different.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

dbright wrote:
    Reeds Sporting Goods has several Fenwick HMG spinning rods for 59.99 regulary 105. That is a steal.

No experience with HMX or Limit Creek, can say that I love my HMG. Have absolutely no reason to buy another rod but considering it at this price.

drewbop
    Duluth

Wow, I appreciate all the responses. At least everyone is helping me narrow it down somewhat – fenwick or limit creek. I’m leaning fenwick HMX/president combo for the fact of the great pricing they are at right now at Reed’s. May even pick up an HMG rod at the price they are at and twin that with an abu garcia cardinal I have laying around.

Next question/dilemma- what length do ya’ll use? 6’6″ or 7′? I’ve always used 6’6″, but was thinking of going 7′ just to try it?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I like my 7 ft rods better than my 6’6 inch rods. I wish the smoothie was a couple inches longer than it is.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If we’re transitioning to rod type need info.

Braid or mono, majority vertical or pitching, average size jigs?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.