Best Tie-Downs, Best Arrangement for ATVs on Aluma 548 Trailer

• Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’be been looking at the Fulton Retractable Ratchet Tie Down for about $100 a pair or the Boat Buckle G2 for $75 a pair. Stainless steel. Are there any better alternatives?

I’m also curious if a person can just use two chains on the front two points of attachment, and then use the two ratchets on the back? I imagine just keep the ATV in neutral, attach the two chains and the two ratchets, and ratchet until all four are tight. Put the machine in park. Any foreseeable issues with this?

Thanks, Joe

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds good. I try to do a four corner tie down on my quads regardless of trailer so they are secure in any direction. Another thing that helps a lot is to cinch the quad down compressing it some so it wont bounce and move. This works well if you only have a front and back tie down.
    I tend to over strap everything though, if there even is such a thing…..:)

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I use 4 HD ratchet straps. Criss cross the straps front and rear. That way it can’t move side to side or forward/backward as you bounce down the road.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

If possible never compress the suspension, two things can and do happen often.
    Straps/ hooks can unhook when you hit a bump and the suspension compresses more than you did.
    Secondly, the rebound of the suspension can snap a strap when the vehicle is bouncing. Whenever possible attach to the most ridged point like an axle or A arm near the tire.

404 ERROR
    MN

Tuffy and Jamin have it licked. The tire straps are really the way to go if you secure your ATV in the same spot every time. On a trailer that size, you’ve really only got one location to secure the ATV, making these types of straps a no-brainer.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If possible never compress the suspension, two things can and do happen often.
    Straps/ hooks can unhook when you hit a bump and the suspension compresses more than you did.
    Secondly, the rebound of the suspension can snap a strap when the vehicle is bouncing. Whenever possible attach to the most ridged point like an axle or A arm near the tire.

The truckers hauling new automobiles apparently think differently. Many vehicles come from the factory, strapped down from attachment points on the frame of said vehicles. The suspension is under tension while the vehicle is being hauled.

On the opposite side of the coin, tow truck drivers usually load the vehicle on the flat bed and secure to the axles. (this being with disabled vehicles, not those that are all twisted and damaged in an accident)

My ATV has a factory tie down point on the front and two on the rear. All three are on the frame. The factory provided them so that is what I use.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Good suggestions, guys. I’ve never seen those Cabela’s Tire Tite straps in action, but they look great! They appear to be a rebranded Erickson 09160 Wheel Chock, which is 25% cheaper. That model is clearly made of zinc. The Cabelas pages doesn’t mention zinc or stainless. Any issues with rust?

Cinch the quad down compressing it some so it wont bounce and move. This works well if you only have a front and back tie down.

Good point. I have been compressing the suspension with four ratchet straps. I wouldn’t be able to do that nearly as well with the two-chain/two-strap idea.

Ice Cap

I use 2 heavy ratchet straps to tie down my Ranger. One is hooked to the front frame and ratchet is in the back tie down mount on the trailer so it puts the tension to the rear. I hook the second one to the receiver hitch on the wheeler and the ratchet is in the front of the trailer putting tension opposite direction of the other strap. It’s never moved a inch after some long bumpy rides. I have 12″ sides on my trailer and the wheels of the wheeler almost touch the sides when the wheeler is loaded so it’s not going to sway side to side very much if at all.

Erickson makes 5 1/2 foot transom retractable straps that I’m thinking might work well on a 4 point tie down. Retractables are nice you don’t have all that extra strap to deal with.

I started a thread awhile ago on how much I hate ratchet straps and I still do but I haven’t found a better system unless I do what my buddy does and don’t strap it down at all. He has the identical trailer I do a Sure Track with 12″ high sides and a ramp in the back. He says he would sooner have the wheeler flip out of the trailer instead of trying to bring the trailer with it if he starts to go in the ditch. Under regular driving conditions there is no need to worry about the wheeler going anywhere according to him.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Under regular driving conditions there is no need to worry about the wheeler going anywhere according to him.

I wish him the best of luck, if he ever has to brake hard or quickly change lanes to avoid an accident.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’d be concerned about liability/guilt if that wheeler ever goes cart-wheeling down the road and injures or kills someone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.