Best Source/Brand for Truck Bed Cover?

• Rainylakefisher

I just picked up my new truck (GMC Sierra SLT) and plan to have a roll up access cover instead of a topper for the first time in 20 years. There are certainly pros/cons to each, but I only need a topper about 5 days of the year and my buddy can drive on those trips. -)

Any suggestions on the best brands and retail outlets I can order from? I have an experienced installer that will put it on for me.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It depends on what you are looking for. I wanted something that can roll up tight to my back window and leave the most room available for when I need it. So I went with a Access soft roll up cover. I picked this brand because of the double latch release system. It has a single cord you can grab anywhere to unlock. My last truck had a roll up cover with double latches and you had to pull a string on both sides at the same time to unlock it. It sucked to unlock. I don’t know if this is the “best” one. I just liked the latching system on this one the best when I was looking. Super easy to install.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I like my Truxedo. It does not have a single pull cord, but you don’t have to pull them same time.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I put this one on my truck when I was in Hawaii… it worked great and didn’t discolor, like the shiny vinyl ones do in the sun.

JEREMY
    BP

Anybody with a sharp object can get through a soft roll up. If you want a rollup with protection look up Revolution brand. They do take up about 10″s when rolled up though and will set you back about 1k.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My last truck had a roll up cover with double latches and you had to pull a string on both sides at the same time to unlock it. It sucked to unlock.

My Father’s Silverado has this and I can’t stand it.

My previous F150 had the single latch style on one side that was much easier to operate. I had the dealership install mine when I bought the truck but I’m sure you could do it yourself if you have the will power and the right tools.

picklerick
    Central WI

I have an Access Lorado on my current truck and had one on my last truck. After 5yrs it was still in great shape. Not garage kept. One pull cord opens both latches.

wormdunker

Just bought a Lomax from Truckalterations.com from a guy named Lucas. Ask for a price vs what is listed on the website. Unreal price, like 40% off what you will find around here, shipped. I had a Bakflip for 10 years, it was a good cover but it eventually leaked inside the foam core and the panels got very heavy which made it sag on the be rails. I studied every top and found the Lomax to be the best replacement for me. It provides the most vertical clearance for a low profile top which is great for flip over fish houses and larger coolers. I was always an inch from fitting things under my Bakflip, it actually sat lower than the bedrails. My Lomax is removable vs flip up. Thick aluminum single layer to that is finished with Berliner material. the Lomax looks great on the truck. It is also made in Jamestown, ND.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Access cover and then be happy and done with it. I’ve ran them on my last 3 trucks and they hold up great.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My previous F150 had the single latch style on one side that was much easier to operate. I had the dealership install mine when I bought the truck but I’m sure you could do it yourself if you have the will power and the right tools.
    [/quote]

I takes 2 wrenches and a tape measure. Mine took 35 minutes to put on my new 8ft box. They are easy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I like my Truxedo. It does not have a single pull cord, but you don’t have to pull them same time.

You can tie the 2 latches together to make a single if it ever worries you.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Probably one of the more expensive options of anything listed but I’d recommend giving Diamondback covers a look. Very secure. Can strap stuff down on top of them. Every fall I put a ladder on mine and climb up to pick apples. A few extra steps needed to haul something like a couch or fridge but removal is pretty easy.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I just picked up my new truck (GMC Sierra SLT) and plan to have a roll up access cover instead of a topper for the first time in 20 years. There are certainly pros/cons to each, but I only need a topper about 5 days of the year and my buddy can drive on those trips. -)

Any suggestions on the best brands and retail outlets I can order from? I have an experienced installer that will put it on for me.

Worth checking with the dealer on what they sell and recommend.I have a mopar brand on the Ram through the dealer. They installed for free and it has a better warranty than anything I found commercially.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I takes 2 wrenches and a tape measure. Mine took 35 minutes to put on my new 8ft box. They are easy.

Good to know. I have a hard accordian-style one now with a key lock on top that came with the truck but at some point down the road I’m sure I’ll go back to the soft sided roll up one.

Gitchi Gummi

There are pros and cons to each style. Like rodwork said, figure out what you are looking for in terms of needs/wants and start there. In addition to things others have already mentioned, do you need access to the truck bed pocket holes? Some tonneau covers will cover those up completely and others will keep them open and usable. I wanted to still be able to use the pocket holes for a rack while still being able to travel with the tonneau cover closed, so I bought that specific style and love it. I can haul 2 canoes on my rack and have the tonneau cover closed so everything stays dirt/dust/water free while traveling.

Ongo

I have an Access cover and it’s held up well for over 9 years. A friend of mine bought a FasTop combination tonneau cover and soft topper. That works pretty well for switching back and forth easily. I’ve been thinking about getting one for when I’d like a little more covered height during ice fishing.

Nodakk

I’ve had two access covers now and have no complaints. Went with them originally as the cover sits “high” above the bed rails. Gives the most cargo room underneath for portable fish houses

CBMN
    North Metro

I have had access covers on the last 3 trucks over the past 18 years or so and I would buy one again in a heart beat. I prefer the middle of the line (original maybe) access cover over the lower profile version. I bought a cheap fiberglass topper for the current truck and haven’t removed it in the last few years as I occasionally camp out of the back of the truck and it is really nice to have extra covered space in the winter…

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’ve had truxedo on my last 2 trucks. Held up perfectly over the years with no issues whatsoever. Some models come with a lifetime warranty. I’ve also heard nothing but good things about the access covers. Don’t think you can go wrong with one of those two brands

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve had two access covers now and have no complaints. Went with them originally as the cover sits “high” above the bed rails. Gives the most cargo room underneath for portable fish houses

I also run the higher sitting above the rails style. The low pros don’t work great for even the kids bikes. The extra 2 inches helps alot

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.