Best Rod for Pitching Cranks for Walleye

• tornadochaser

Batson makes some fantastic blanks. Tornadochaser, do you know what Immortal blank you are using? It could be IMMC68M or IMMS68M?

I’ll have to check with my buddy that’s doing the rod building. I’ve got some builds off of Bushido blanks as well that I really like, but I haven’t used them enough yet to give an accurate review.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:
    Batson makes some fantastic blanks. Tornadochaser, do you know what Immortal blank you are using? It could be IMMC68M or IMMS68M?

I’ll have to check with my buddy that’s doing the rod building. I’ve got some builds off of Bushido blanks as well that I really like, but I haven’t used them enough yet to give an accurate review.

I am sure it is the IMMS68M. Great blank but might be a little heaver than what Matt needs. Bushido also makes so nice blanks if you are on more of a budget.

Red Reno

I have used many rods for this application, from custom rods to cheaper $30 rods and everything in between. About 90% of my fishing is casting plugs or rip n raps and my favorite rod for that is a 7’1 Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye rod. Medium action with a little medium or fast tip(fast at most, not extra fast). You need the 7 foot or more to make long enough casts(I have a 6’9 version of same rod and the difference in casts and feel is huge) and it is a great rod to handle the bigger fish!

CBMN
    North Metro

Nick, I also didn’t buy it after looking as it is just a bit long for my liking but I am going to try a new St Croix Icon as they just revised the model line with a slightly revised blank, guides, and handles. I went with a 7’1″ Medium moderate fast Icon as I wanted something a bit slower but felt the 7’10” Victory was a bit much for my liking with the added length and slower action. Never know and I might be going back to buy that model also at a later date.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nick, I also didn’t buy it after looking as it is just a bit long for my liking but I am going to try a new St Croix Icon as they just revised the model line with a slightly revised blank, guides, and handles. I went with a 7’1″ Medium moderate fast Icon as I wanted something a bit slower but felt the 7’10” Victory was a bit much for my liking with the added length and slower action. Never know and I might be going back to buy that model also at a later date.

That medium moderate is the perfect action for pulling and throwing cranks

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I run the eyecon bounce and troll for trolling. I run them quantum bait casters with a flippin switch. Really like that setup versus using my spinning rods for trolling.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I run the eyecon bounce and troll for trolling. I run them quantum bait casters with a flippin switch. Really like that setup versus using my spinning rods for trolling.

Why with the flipping switch?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Why with the flipping switch?

Let’s me have more control how quickly I let line out. I didn’t think it would be super useful but I use them all the time.

Deuces

Looking for just something a bit heavier than the 76mm I have now, perhaps just the extra length will make do. Also curious as to how it may work as a second livebait rigging rod, anxious to get one in hand. This ice crap needs to go away.

CBMN
    North Metro

I have 2 of those exact setups also Matt. They work great for me trolling raps, bouncers or 3 ways in the fair weather months. I have a few more quantums on some budget Garcia trolling rods that I use in the winter because they have much larger guides and freeze up much less.

CBMN
    North Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CBMN wrote:</div>

Looking for just something a bit heavier than the 76mm I have now, perhaps just the extra length will make do. Also curious as to how it may work as a second livebait rigging rod, anxious to get one in hand. This ice crap needs to go away.

I have a 7’4″ Diawa Tatula Elite with AGS guides that I like a fair amount for casting cranks and Husky Jerks but am always on the look out for something else to try. I did but the Victory 7’10” MLXF hair jig rod this winter to try that but not at all what you are looking for. The Victory rods seem fairly light for what they are but a 7’10” rod was still a bit heavy so I stepped up to a 4000 size reel to better balance it out.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.