Best rod and reel setups for rippin raps, jerk baits

• jared swift

On the market for a new ripping rap/ jerk bait rod and reel. Whats everyones go to setups? Mainly 6-7 size rippin raps.

tornadochaser

Love my Rainshadow Immortal 68MXF custom build for rippin raps.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

yeah i was gonna say the 6-8 Med-XFast Avid. I’ve got one with a tatula I like to use when chuckin rippin raps. Love those ripping raps for getting down deep on the tips of dams.

Deuces

While cadences can vary greatly much of what guys have success rippin is with nice small subtle rips. Overall most pros would tell you most overwork it.

With that said most XF action rods would do the trick. Its quick tip allows a faster action to the lure causing it to works it’s magic with less overall rod movement than say with a fast or moderate action rod.

I’m no expert on jerks. But for my own little use of them, and I’ll generalize shallower cranks to this as well, I seek casting distance. A medium moderate rod does me well and hook retention is phenomenal with the that power partnered with braid.

Two different styles IMO.

Your welcome for now giving you reason to buy another rod lol

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I just picked up a couple of St. Croix Eyecon rods 6’8″ MXF. Seem to work very well for this type of fishing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.