Best motor options for ranger 1880ms angler

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Just curious what everyone’s putting on their anglers, thinking maybe a Yamaha sho 175 vmax, what are the other better lite weight 4 strokes, anyone run a 200 honda or Suzuki, not really interested in 2 strokes.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Just curious what everyone’s putting on their anglers, thinking maybe a Yamaha sho 175 vmax, what are the other better lite weight 4 strokes, anyone run a 200 honda or Suzuki, not really interested in 2 strokes.

Don’t know what the Honda weights now but they used to be heavier than any other outboard out there.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Yeah, I wasn’t sure about that either. I like the Suzuki 200, but I thought I heard ranger won’t mount them anymore.

fishingchallenged

I have also been looking for performance charts for outboards. Yamaha’s website does have some performance comparisons on their website. Pick your motor and then scroll down. You can see some high level data on how that motor performs on several different boats. Prop selection and how the motor is mounted is so critical to these results that it’s hard to say what it will do on your boat.

My current F115 has been stellar, so I would favor the F200. I would also consider the Verado 200.

That’s an awesome boat you are looking at! Saw it again yesterday at the Muskie Expo. Some day…

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I’m partial to Yamaha never any issues. Verado has be decent for some other not. Merc are faster but also eat more fuel. Hard to beat Yamaha’s and resale is stellar.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I love the idea of a Yamaha, in your opinion Mike, would you get a 200 I4 or the 175 vmax sho?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Has anyone checked with ranger about putting the new mercury 200 v6 4 stroke on this boat? At 475#s, I would think it would be fine. Has anyone checked out any performance comparisons to see where it ranks with other 200? I would sure think it would be just about the perfect motor for this boat unless I’m missing something, can even get it in white!

Finnish Minnow
    Wisconsin

I just bought an 1880MS. It is rigged with an E-Tech G2 200. I had a 2008 Angler 1860, with a 150 E-Tech on it.

I though the 200 might be overkill, I am not all about the speed, but the 1880 MS is a much heavier boat than the 1860, and the 200 moves it just fine.

I have a four-stroke Evinrude 9.8 as a kicker, but I am not a fan of four-strokes for a main engine. My personal opinion only, so, I can’t offer any feedback on four stoke main engines.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks, hope you enjoy the boat, anything you don’t like about it so far?

Finnish Minnow
    Wisconsin

Nothing thus far, but getting used to the “fly by wire” connection for the throttle takes some getting used to. Very sensitive compared to my previous outboards. Throttle control and drive engagement is all electronic.

As for the boat, nothing. Many improvements over my 2008 1860 Angler.

Trailer; I have the tandem upgrade. It had the front stair set on it, which I had the dealer remove, as it would have prevented me getting my lawn tractor in the garage. It has the basket spare tire carrier, which I hate. Had it on the previous trailer and cut it off after bending it up on various landings. Models without the front stair set have the spare on the side or mounted higher up, which I would prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.