Best for ice travel

• Dr. Pomoxis

I own a 4 wheeler. For the past 2 winters, we have had deep snow, slush, etc. Other than walking out or going to a lake that has a plowed road, I’ve been been sidelined. I’m ready to pull the trigger on another mode of transportation. Obviously a snowmobile is a good option, but I know in deep slush they have limitations. I am wondering about tracked side-by-sides. They seem like mini tanks to me. Can you go through anything with them? Deep snow, slush, over plowed berms? Having a heated cab and a big box to travel around looks pretty nice. Of course they cost triple a snowmobile too.

Anyone have opinions on the best way to go?

Snowmobile is the most agile and quickest mode.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Personally, I wouldn’t take anything thru slush regardless if said machine can. Tracks freeze, wheels freeze, just about anything will freeze running thru slush. And if you decide to go thru and make it a 1/4 mile into slush then get stuck…have fun.

I’ve found a snowmobile to be the best option. Quick, safe (no rolling on bare ice) and can manage what mother nature throws at you “most” winters.

However, If you only got the funds for one toy, ATV all the way!

mike e

Can a SxS maintain at least 50mph on tracks? That was my minimum safe speed on a long track while crossing this winters slush fields. Also, which would you rather have to get unstuck?

A hovercraft would have been a good choice this season.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Longer tracked (137’+) snowmobile in slush is no issue. I am talking large expanses of slush pockets and deep. We always run into it in whitefish bay on lake of the woods. Never an issue. We actually stop and fish in it because we never get stuck anymore like we did with the older generation sleds.

Ice Cap

It always came down to this for me. Yes there are various pieces equipment at varying levels of needed investment that will get out on the snow and slush where you otherwise couldn’t get to. Now that you’re there what are you going to do? Stand in knee deep snow with 4″ of slush under it only to drill a couple holes to be standing in a few inches of water mixed with the other mess as well?

And as Bob says tracks, wheels etc. freeze to. Sometimes it just ain’t going to work.

catmando
    wis

I have an Arctic Cat Norseman, long track, slush no worries

tornadochaser

Get a tracked side by side high centered in a slush pocket and you’ll never want to deal with it again. My experience anyways.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Long tracked sled.
    We used to go on long (as in sled in 22 miles one way) lake trout trips up on Lower Manitou Lake in Ontario. Never once did anyone attempt it with tracks.
    Even with sleds we’d get one stuck once in awhile. We actually had a heavy duty plastic sled that fit under a sleds track, so that we could pull one out of slush and back to the cabin if needed.

Now todays tracks are much better I’m sure, but I’d still take a sled in slush (and a driver who knows how to use it, I will add)

haleysgold
    SE MN

Get a tracked side by side high centered in a slush pocket and you’ll never want to deal with it again. My experience anyways.

2 weeks ago I was all set to pull the trigger on a S x S with tracks until I talked to a friend who lives up nort.
    I changed my mind against it. They are nice for deeper snow but even then, if you do get stuck, it ain’t fun.
    I decided to skip fishing when it’s like that.
    Then again, I’m gettin old.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

There’s only 1 answer, ya gotta have a plan B. I got a nice older 2 up snowmobile if I can’t get around on my wheeler, I hear ya though, every ice fishing season lately seems to give us different scenarios, after last years dumping of snow I vowed I’d have another option and with the sled I do.

Dr. Pomoxis

Thanks everyone. That’s exactly what I wanted to hear! Makes my decision easier.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

If getting a snowmobile strictly for fishing, I would deffinetely get a long track. The short 121″ tracks just aren’t meant for that, especially if you are pulling a flip over or sled full of gear. Asking for trouble in slush. I buried my sled in slush a few weeks ago and it was a nightmare getting it out. Also, a couple guys I talked too asking for help with tracked side x sides were hesitant to help me because they had already burnt belts on two different machines because of the slush.

dbright
    Cambridge

A tracked sxs has it’s place and slush is not it. My buddy has had a set on his ranger since 2014. Rebuilding clutches and blown belts are the norm once a winter. The other problem with tracks is that you have to dual register it since they do not consider it at class 2 because you do not have tires anymore and most machines are over 68″ with tracks installed. Snowmobiles are definitely the way to go for deep snow/slush travel.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.