Best Fillet Knife???

• Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I also have switched to the electric for most of my filleting jobs. I do slice out the pin bones and any others that get missed with the wood handled Rapala. I remember watching Jim Hardin cleaning fish when we made our yearly trek to Park Rapids. He could shave his arm with his knife. I kept working at it, and eventually, I did match him. I still think a good sharp edge will make more difference than the knife you use.

dld24

I bought the Rapala lithium cordless knife and I love it so far….It worked awesome at Red this year…Filleted 12 eyes no prob, so nice not having to worry about the cord being in your way…Def recommend it

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Rapala lithium cordless knife and I love it so far

I hate to admit I went this way, but I did this year and regret all the years I did not use an electric like this. I still use another standard filet knife for trimming and misc tasks, but the bulk of my work is so fast and so ideal with this Rapala lithium cordless.

roger

I BIT THE BULLET LAST YEAR USING AN ELECTRIC AND ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT, ITS REALLY GREAT. HAD TO HAVE MY NEPHEW CONVINCE ME OF THAT!LOL!!

Greg R.
    New Berlin, WI

Leech Lake fillet knife. I had mine for a couple years now and it still holds a very sharp edge. I see they make it in a 5.5″ I will bee placing a order with reeds sporting goods soon.

crappielover89

Bubba Blade http://youtu.be/VbBX-bMqzzI this is a youtube video of the best filet knife ever. my fishing buddy owned a charter boat in California on the ocean and he not only introduced me to the bubba blade but also taught me to filet fish fast and clean and i promise you that i havent met anyone other than my friend who can filet faster and better than me. i have guys tell me they can out filet me with there electric knife and i do two fish to there one and the fillets look clean and professionally done. if it was me i would get the 9″ flex and the 7″ tapered filet knifes and they are like $45-$50 a knife also they can be used to clean your big game animals too.

Timo i

After living here now in finland the answer is a sharp one all the knives are good here

jessered
    owatonna

I have been on acouple of charters from Alaska to lake Michigan they all used Dexter Russell knives.and I have not found a knife that sharpens as easy as these.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I researched this before my wedding and on several different forums Dexter Russell knives were what everyone talked highly about. I bought one for each of my groomsman and they all have loved them. The only flaw that I found when I ordered them is that they do not come with a sheath. I have so far butchered a few deer and many fish and can definitely say I am extremely happy with the knife along with the edge that it holds.

We also have a cabin in anchor point Alaska and I have notice that DR knives are sitting at the cleaning tables quite often up there.

P.S. If anyone ever heads up that way my Uncle runs a Charter Service.

https://www.facebook.com/frenchconnectionenterprise?pnref=story

scott-k
    Red Wing

I use the Twister Electric for pannies ALL the time. Slab off the meat with rib cage, leave the skin attached at tail, cut meat off skin, cut rib cage off meat. Sometimes I use the 4 inch rapala to cut out the ribs with a wrist flick.

If you clean more than a few, use the electric.

jerry b
    western WI

I got tired of trying to keep an edge on my old Rapala, so last summer I sprung for a Leech lake. So far I like it a lot. If you decide to get one, buy a box of bandages too.

Ha- -Leech Knives- -I been given 3 of them in the past years and the darned things are so pretty I won’t use’m. Instead I stay with the old cheapie Rapalas and an old Warthog V-sharp sharpener. Heck of a combination- – jerr

BassBuster2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joel VandeKrol wrote:</div>
    Get an electric knife – Smoothest filets you will get. I bought a Rapala, and it shorted out on me after 3 uses. Switched over to the $25 Mr. Twister and it has worked very well. They are inexpensive and well worth the money. Buy a cheap Rapala for trimming.

X3
    WW

X2.

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Filet knives are all over the place. I find that high dollar knives often mean blades that are too flexible for my liking. I have 3 higher end filet knives that I like but more often than not I grab the cheapest piece of $&# knife I own and enjoy using that. It has a good feel, shape and stiffer blade that I prefer. Try them all. The only real necessity is that it can be sharpened.

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

Leech lake all the way! I have two in the buck eye. Well worth the investment and they look great too!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.