Best Day Yet

• Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

So came home this weekend to see family, and also get some coyote stands in. Well this morning felt like an episode of Foxpro Furtakers.

First stand of the morning my e-caller is running perfect so I have pup distress playing and I am assuming anything responding will be coming from in front of me out of the small patch of woods. Well 10 min in I look behind me into the wide open cornfield and 40yards behind me is a big red fox. IL season for Fox is closed, but I also told myseld I would let a fox I call in pass just because they are an amazing animal.

Second stand I am pumped from seeing the fox, so I am now set up in a property that is a mix of small timber stands, crick bottom and open field. I set the caller behind me by about 20yards and press play on the remote, the thing won’t work, it gets out one crackle and stops. So I pull out the cheapo quaker-boy hand call and start up, trying to sound higher pitched and more like a squealing pup in mind. Give that about 5min and then slowly sneak behind me to the caller to try resetting it etc. Couldn’t work it out so I start hand calling again and from out of one of the small timber stands comes the first dog, then the second, third and fourth. In total five appear, the first is a young male and he is flying across the field hot while the other four are being more cautious,well I needed an AR and a second shooter cause no only managed to knock down the front dog and fling snow behind the second a couple times. So one I managed to take a coyote today but to have five come in was unreal, plus the fox. I now know for sure my money pits are going to be ice fishing and predator hunting. The third stand of the day I had what I am assuming was an educated dog circle two cornfields away and head outta town.

(Will edit this post later with pictures of stand set ups and coyote)

4walleye
    Central SD

It’s always and adrenalin rush when you get a fox or yote to respond to calling, especially when using hand calls. I have always used hand calls, but there are some advantages to using the electronic calls. It does seem like predators are getting educated to calling in a lot of areas.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Pictures???

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Pictures???

Still working on the aerial photos, got kinda busy with a couple exams this week in school, but will get them up soon.

Attachments:
    1. Picture0228151701_1.jpg

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Here are the aerial photos. Red dot is stand location, red x is where animals were spotted. The photo with the creek in it is where the 5 coyotes responded.

Attachments:
    1. Capturepaint.jpg

2. Capture2paint.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.