Best campgrounds for fishing

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I recently went tent camping near leech and found it to be a very enjoyable and cost effective way to accommodate a fishing trip. I’d like to compile a list of all the best camp sites in the state that are close by good fishing lakes. I’ll add the ones I’ve either camped at or have heard are great

-Leech lake recreation area
    -Stoney point campground (walker)
    -Lake vermillion-soudan state park
    -Head of the lakes resort: osakis (they have a small campground there)
    -VNP

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The Army Corp has a very nice campground on Big Sandy right on Hwy 65 North of McGregor. Hard lake to fish but the campground is nice and the lake is large enough to move around.

AK Guy

Gull Dam campground, Gull Lake.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

mississippi pool 4 camping on the sand dunes south of Pepin. been doing it for 25 years and did i mention it’s free.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would rather stay at mickinnley on vermillion just down the road from the state park. I can’t stand how packed that park is. Unless you like being 5 ft from others. That or boat in remote camping.
    But there are beautiful tent camps everywhere. We stay on the st Croix at boat in sites every couple weekends.

Charles

Might as well through crosslake in the mix they have a freaking massive harbor/docks now.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

havent stayed at these places but a few more i wouldnt mind checking out

Big Stone Lake State Park
    whiteface reservoir campground
    island lake campsites

anybody know of anything near ottertail?

ThunderLund78

Silver Rapids Lodge in Ely – located where the Kawishiwi river flows out of White Iron Lake towards Farm and Garden lakes has a number of campsites with bonus access to the resorts amenities, such as docks, showers, sauna, bathroom, etc. Only $40/night. Used to go every year with my friends because it was so affordable. Might have start again, given the price of everything.

Pretty amazing place!

Aboxy17

I stayed at Vermillion not long after it opened and it was a nice park and was not too busy when I was there. Bear head state park is a nice campground as well you have access to a lot of area lakes like Eagle Nest.

There is a load of small campgrounds managed by Superior National Forest. Most of them are right on the lake and very rustic and quiet. A lot of them are free as well. They also have something called dispersed camping which basically allows you to camp anywhere on public land in the national forest. There are endless spots on logging roads back on small lakes to go the downside is no fires while doing this.

FinickyFish

… the downside is no fires while doing this.
    [/quote]

Is this a Superior Forest specific rule? I thought you could have fires dispursed camping as long as you built a fire ring?

tswoboda

Ottertail Lake or County – or city? The cart-in campground on Annie Battle is kinda cool but that’s obviously tent only and on a canoe-only lake. I really like the Lida campground at Maplewood SP too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Silver Rapids Lodge in Ely – located where the Kawishiwi river flows out of White Iron Lake towards Farm and Garden lakes has a number of campsites with bonus access to the resorts amenities, such as docks, showers, sauna, bathroom, etc. Only $40/night. Used to go every year with my friends because it was so affordable. Might have start again, given the price of everything.

Pretty amazing place!

I love this place as well as white iron

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Little side track. But Any one know of good tent spots along the north shore. Not fishing related.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Pretty amazing place!

sounds great ill have to check that out. thanks!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve heard Federal Dam is a good campsite as well, but have never been.

x2 on the boat in sights on Lake Vermillion, we stayed on Hinsdale Island one time and had a blast.

Some friends just bought Nevis Campground and RV Park, which isn’t on the water, but has 100 lakes within 10 miles, and Leech is about a 15 minute drive.

CaptainMusky

I’ve heard Federal Dam is a good campsite as well, but have never been.

Ive not camped there, but used the access and the facilities and its very nice.

dirtywater

Little side track. But Any one know of good tent spots along the north shore. Not fishing related.

I think they may have flooding issues but cascade river state park has some hike-in sites that are literally on Lake Superior. Bear vaults at the sites. I think tettagouche has some semi-remote sites as well.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

There are some sites right on the water at the walk in camp sites just south of the light house. Sweet spots, you can see bottom in 50ftow. There used to be a old fishing village there and some of the dock post are still in the water.

quote=2128282]Little side track. But Any one know of good tent spots along the north shore. Not fishing related. [/quote]

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Federal Dam is a very nice camp ground. I will be leaving Wednesday morning.
    Big Stone state park is not the nicest. We were there two years ago and the grass was like walking on a sponge. I would think this year would be very wet.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I will add Fall Lake campground near Ely.

Michael Best

Back when I was in high school we used to pay a farmer to camp along Lake Norway just north of Underwood Mn. Pretty small campground but most of the time we would be the only ones there.
    It’s been under water since the 90’s.

I have never stayed at the Rush lake tent and trailer campground but been by it in the boat. It looks nice from the lake anyway.
    It’s only 9 miles to the Riviera access on Otter tail lake.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

But Any one know of good tent spots along the north shore.

Several of the cart-in sites at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park are awesome–right on the lake and very private.

Attachments:
    1. SRLH.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

want to add bear head to this list.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

booked sites at fall lake campground end of September and McKinley end of July

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

McKinley is a nice place. Private launch and nice little ma and pop shop. We enjoy staying there. End of July definitely is not a ideal time for good fishing but it is a beautiful time to enjoy the lake

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

McKinley is a nice place. Private launch and nice little ma and pop shop. We enjoy staying there. End of July definitely is not a ideal time for good fishing but it is a beautiful time to enjoy the lake

Yeah I figured. That will be more of a family fun trip where we will do some hiking and explore the woods as well as cruise the lake.

Didn’t read the regulations closely enough on fall lake and now know my boat won’t work there. Guess that means I’ll be working my kayak muscles. That should be a fun trip too though

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Yeah I figured. That will be more of a family fun trip where we will do some hiking and explore the woods as well as cruise the lake.

Didn’t read the regulations closely enough on fall lake and now know my boat won’t work there. Guess that means I’ll be working my kayak muscles. That should be a fun trip too though

We do the mine tour every couple years and the family enjoys it. Very cool history. I’ve never been on fall lake but you are a stones throw from white iron. I love fishing white iron.
    As for mickinnley there is so much good smallie fishing in that area and you can catch shallow eyes, just before and at dark right in there bay

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Did you go up to mickinnley yet. I might be headed there Friday to Sunday with they kid

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Did you go up to mickinnley yet. I might be headed there Friday to Sunday with they kid

Nope thought i had a site booked but got an email saying there were not any open sites. That was a while ago so maybe its changed. Been so busy with family stuff the last few months the boat has been collecting dust.

Deuces

State Park reservations system “notify me” has been great for finding open spots on weekends. It’s kinda of a set it and forget it thing too that will just lyk when something pops up.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.