Best brand for wacky worms?

• brandmoney

I like size 1 VMC sureshot drop shot hooks. Pretty cheap and you get a decent amount of hooks per pack. I like these more than a regular wacky style or Neko hook because the eye is angled out a bit, which make it a little easier to remove from deeply-hooked fish.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mrpike1973 wrote:</div>
    Thanks Are you guys using small wacky hooks or smaller Neko straight shank hooks?

I use the VMC neko hooks, preferably in size 2 (not 2/0). The longer shank helps improve the hooking rate in the top of the mouth. I previously was using the VMC wacky hook, but I would get hooked up more commonly in other places besides the roof of their mouth.

Shout out to Frydog for that suggestion a couple seasons ago.

That might be the best hook ever made. It’s such a sticky hook and takes nothing to bury in the mouth of a bass.

tim hurley

As you do your budget remember NOTHING gets bit off like a wacky rig, a small crappie jig will be more likely to bring in a pike.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

As you do your budget remember NOTHING gets bit off like a wacky rig, a small crappie jig will be more likely to bring in a pike.

I don’t get to many pike bite offs on my wacky rigs. A few but not that many. Worse when I throw moving baits.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t get to many pike bite offs on my wacky rigs. A few but not that many. Worse when I throw moving baits.

Same. Plastic presentations not nearly as common as moving lures.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    I don’t get to many <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike bite offs on my wacky rigs. A few but not that many. Worse when I throw moving baits.

Same. Plastic presentations not nearly as common as moving lures.

I also don’t seem to get many pike or bite offs on the wacky rig. If one does pick it up, you are correct, you are most likely going to get bit off. I just received a order of some AFW 7X7 Micro supreme leader material and some 50Lb. fluro leader material. I want to make up some leaders for fishing the Walleye and lake trout on our canadian trip. I also want to make up a few with smaller lighter snaps and swivels for use around here when the pike are really active. Those Jackhammer and other chatterbaits are to expensive to lose to the pike. I really like the look of the 7×7 material. I’m going to order some in lower Lb test. The one I got was in 40 Lb.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Is 40 or 50 pound fluoro leader material too stiff to tie knots with? I normally use 20 pound blue label on my moving lure applications that are prone to bite offs (like the chatterbaits you speak of). I tried 30 pound test once and I thought it was too stiff. Not sure if they make a 25 pound test version.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Is 40 or 50 pound fluoro leader material too stiff to tie knots with? I normally use 20 pound blue label on my moving lure applications that are prone to bite offs (like the chatterbaits you speak of). I tried 30 pound test once and I thought it was too stiff. Not sure if they make a 25 pound test version.

I got the fluro in Segar blue label. I plan to use with single barrel sleeves. There are video’s of them using 100 Lb. test and tying knots to make leaders. When making Fluro leaders after passing the Material thru the sleeve I heat the end and push on a flat plate to make a slight ball. I then pull this tight to the sleeve and double crimp. I have never had a fluro leader fail at the crimped sleeve.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just a FYI. with the 7×7 material you can tie knots. No problem. I just prefer and feel better using crimps

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.