Berkley Ultra 8 ?

• Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Anyone have experience with this line and its performance? Looking at it for jigging and throwing shallow water cranks for walleye. 10LB test .Thanks Don

riverfishin11

Get a hold of Korey sprengel hes using it and has been its like a nano fil on steroids i think im getting my self

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Left a message on fb Chase Parsons Korey ,Chase and another guy just did a show on Beaver Dam Lake for walleyes. I did order a a spool of 4lb and 10 lb . Been using 10lb 832 ,i,ll give it a go.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I know a guy who’s an Ambassador to Berkley and he says its a cross between Nanofil and Fireline. He has a reel or two filled with it just waiting for open water. I like the 3, 4 and 6 pound Nano and won’t likely move to this new stuff. If I get into an area where fraying might be an issue I also will have fluoro spooled on a couple rods that does me well in those situations.

I like people in the real world to use this new stuff a year or so because everyday use and what the companies promote are a whole world apart.

FryDog62

Two questions:

•Can you use it on a baitcaster (unlike Nanofil)?

•For finesse/spinning is it stealthy enough to use alone, or do you need to tie a fluoro/mono leader?

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

That’s the problem no real world reviews. Be nice to hear from someone without a monetary tie to the product .

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Lol, someone just buy a damn spool!

*not it*

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Two questions:

•Can you use it on a baitcaster (unlike Nanofil)?

•For finesse/spinning is it stealthy enough to use alone, or do you need to tie a fluoro/mono leader?

Anything “baitcaster” in the same breath as Nanofil is a bad dream. I haven’t heard if this new stuff is “more like” nanofil or the Fireline, which I assume can be strung on a caster.

The “crystal” color is a trick word. They’re both white and will show up to some degree in the water. I’m guess water clarity would determine to what extent.

I fish Nano straight to the lure or jig and have no issues whatever with knots holding. I’m not sure if my catch rates would go up if I tied in the mono or fluoro so I don’t bother. I know its not a big thing in the waters I fish for panfish, crappies and walleyes.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Ultra 8 — as the name indicates — has 8 strands but is advertised as a fused fireline. It has a larger diameter than fireline and Nanofil. Definitely stronger than Nanofil, I haven’t tested it against fireline side by side. It is very quiet, even with Recoil guides. I tie the improved clinch knot with all types of line and have not had an issue with it, using 12-14 turns.

8# (3# diameter)– I fish 8# fireline so figured that would be ok in the Ultra 8 as well. I will say that the 8# feels closer to 12# strength. It’s a little stiff but casts very, very well. Very hard to break. Better abrasion than Nanofill, not quite as good as fireline IMHO. It has some texture when running your fingers down the line which causes more friction, similar to Power Pro.

6# (2# diameter) — This is the perfect weight in my opinion for pitching jigs, blades, and casting cranks. It’s silky smooth, much like Nanofil and extremely strong. I can’t think of a scenario where this would NOT hold up with a typical spinning rod and normal bass/walleye/panfishing tactics.

Overall, I am very happy with it although it’s expensive. My only complaint is that they don’t have the hi-vis orange or green out yet. I bought mine at Scheels which only carried crystal and black.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I did buy 2 spools,read my post LOL

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Ultra 8 — as the name indicates — has 8 strands but is advertised as a fused fireline. It has a larger diameter than fireline and Nanofil. Definitely stronger than Nanofil, I haven’t tested it against fireline side by side. It is very quiet, even with Recoil guides. I tie the improved clinch knot with all types of line and have not had an issue with it, using 12-14 turns.

8# (3# diameter)– I fish 8# fireline so figured that would be ok in the Ultra 8 as well. I will say that the 8# feels closer to 12# strength. It’s a little stiff but casts very, very well. Very hard to break. Better abrasion than Nanofill, not quite as good as fireline IMHO. It has some texture when running your fingers down the line which causes more friction, similar to Power Pro.

6# (2# diameter) — This is the perfect weight in my opinion for pitching jigs, blades, and casting cranks. It’s silky smooth, much like Nanofil and extremely strong. I can’t think of a scenario where this would NOT hold up with a typical spinning rod and normal bass/walleye/panfishing tactics.

Overall, I am very happy with it although it’s expensive. My only complaint is that they don’t have the hi-vis orange or green out yet. I bought mine at Scheels which only carried crystal and black.

Thank You! Now i have to get me some 6lb grin

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I thought i had seen orange ultra 8 ,but its not available in the US ? Thinking Australia or New Zealand , could be wrong ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.