Bergara 22-250

• Ryan Scholl

I picked up a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge chambered in 22-250. The scheel’s exclusive cerakote/veil camo model. I think its a great looking rifle and so far I love it. It’s heavier than I had originally planned on going with for a coyote rifle, but I just liked the way it felt when i picked it up.

Has anyone on here had experience with Bergara’s 22-250s? It is a 1:9 twist. I’m curious what type of rounds people have tried and what they like before just going out and buying a bunch of ammo to test. I bought some 55gr Hornady v-max and 55gr soft points. both of them shoot pretty decent. I would like to try heavier bullets with the fast twist, but most stores are pretty limited with their current selection.

I know this opens up a ton of debate. I currently am not setup to reload 22-250. I will be though and have a buddy that loads thousands of 250 a year. I’m just trying to track something down to accurately shoot in the mean time before doing a load development with him.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Has anyone on here had experience with Bergara’s 22-250s? It is a 1:9 twist. I’m curious what type of rounds people have tried and what they like before just going out and buying a bunch of ammo to test. I bought some 55gr Hornady v-max and 55gr soft points. both of them shoot pretty decent. I would like to try heavier bullets with the fast twist, but most stores are pretty limited with their current selection.

To be honest, you’ve got a bit of an oddball here and you’re not the first one to bring this twist issue up. Bergara is, of course, Spanish, and they have made some rather interesting Euro-style departures from we consider norms here in North America.

The standard twist for the .22-250 is generally 1:12 or 1:14 for North American rifles because of what we primarily use them for–varmints. This twist range is optimized for bullets between 50 and 60 grains, your typical varmint fare.

So…. It comes as no surprise that your Spanish rifle with its faster twist is giving you so-so results with varmint ammo weights. Well, that’s because there ain’t no varmints in Spain except for the ones who steal your wallet on the Barcelona subway.

A 1:9 twist is going to favor heavier bullets that require the faster twist for stability. You will probably see better results in the 60 or 65 grain range, perhaps even heavier.

Which of course is going to produce some headaches for you, because that kind of ammo is not very common factory fodder for the 250.

Now why did Bergara go and do this 1:9 twist? Well, in Spain and in a lot of Europe, they are fans of using smaller bores with heavier bullets for game than we would normally see here in the US. The .22-250 is seen by many hunters in Europe as the perfect medicine for the miniature deer species or mountain species like the Chamois. So it makes sense that they are not interested in highly explosive, lightweight varmint bullets and they make their rifles accordingly.

Bottom line is I’d see what you can get for higher weight factory ammo. But here’s where I give you some potential bad news.

Last I knew–and this could have changed–but there were only a few factory loads at the 60+ grain range and most of these were premium hunting-tuned rounds with spendy bullets. I know the go-to round in Europe was the Nosler 64 grain offering or Winchester at one time had a premium 64-grain offering as well that was very popular. Sorry to say, the 60+ grain factory loads that I know of tended to start at about $30 a box. Ug. But that’s cheap compared to the Nosler offering, which I believe was over $50 a box. Double ug.

But it could be worse. In Europe, the Winchester silver box was going for over $100 per 20 and the Nosler offering was like gold, I think they were going for $150+ a box.

Grouse

robby
    Quad Cities

I have a Ruger with a 1:14 twist. Hornady factory load 50 gr. Vmax are deadly on coyotes. Bang, flop! Coyote falls, life erased from them, tail wags once. Rarely get an exit wound, unless shot way up close, which do happen. I used to always purchase my ammo from Scheel’s, beat everyone else’s price significantly. Then switched to a similar load by a small time guy, purchased enough to last me for years. You will love the 250! Loud, but such is how it works when you are sending a pill downrange at 3750-4100 fps. A laser. And doesnt burn out the barrel/throat quite as quick as a Swift.

Jeff Gilberg

Probably going to have problems with lighter “varmint” bullets, they are made to expand easily and wont hold together in flight. If you do the math, at 4000 feet per second 1 in 9 twist is 411,428 rpm’s. that’s an incredible amount of centrifugal force. I’ve seen this in 223’s with fast twist barrels (1 in 7) using 52 grain bullets loaded hot, especially in AR’s where the bullet may get dinged on the feed ramp. You could actually see a grey puff when the bullet came apart in mid air!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was looking at the same gun and offed on it because of the twist rate simply because I want to shoot lighter pills.

If you’re going to load for it and want to use the smaller bullets you might have to back way off on the powder charges to get real accuracy.

Ryan Scholl

thanks for the input. It’s not giving so, so results. I just haven’t spent the time to get it any better than close. Turns out the mosquitoes are really bad right now at my Dad’s shooting berm and it’s not fun shooting there. I found that Bergara does their accuracy testing with a 55 gr Hornady V-max and 64 gr Nosler BSB.

A little more shooting this weekend and the 55 gr Hornady varmint express @ 3680fps are grouping pretty well. 50 gr Superformance (closer to 4000 fps) do not. I knew that would be the case being so light but had to try it anyways. I did find some cheaper 60 gr and 64 grain soft points. Under $20 a box. I haven’t found them in a store yet though. I might just have to get something like that loaded up for me to try.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ryan I think you’ll be fine in the 55gr, but slower. I load a few Barnes bullets for a few 250s specific for coyotes. Love the TSX performance, but they can get picky on twist rates/speed. I have a load set up with the Barnes 53 gr in a 1:9 that is amazing. Slower, but who cares when your drilling dime size groups at almost 300 meters

rboggess2012

I have the B14 HMR in 22-250 and specifically bought it to shoot the Barnes 50g Varmint Grenade. I see a lot of comments regarding bullet weight but it’s really about the bullet length. When it comes to twist rate, bullet weight is irrelevant.

Maximum Stability (usually measured as gyroscopic stability (Sg) but sometimes measured as Dynamic Stability (Sd)) is the magic pill we all pursue when matching a projectile to a platform.

The projectile length, it’s center of gravity, and to a point, its velocity are the key factors in determining the optimal twist rate. Manufacturers strive to develop projectile where the sciences all come together while still having some forgiveness so folks can tune their loads… Barnes for example is clear that the 50g VG requires a 1:10 twist or faster… there is a correlation between weight and bullet length but I used this example because the VG uses a powdered aluminum core and even at 50g, it’s longer than most 60’s…

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Boy oh boy that rifle is just asking for something in the 67-80 grain weight range. Some of the heavier fusions and/or the 77 TMK from Sierra would be potent whitetail medicine at reasonable ranges.

A 1:8 223 Tikka is on my short list of next rifles to buy.

Ryan Scholl

Boy oh boy that rifle is just asking for something in the 67-80 grain weight range. Some of the heavier fusions and/or the 77 TMK from Sierra would be potent whitetail medicine at reasonable ranges.

Currently handloading with 55 grain Sierra Game King (1365) with very good results. 55 grain bullets still lets the 250’s speed shine for varmints/predators.

I am planning on picking up some 65 gr Barnes TSX to give a try. If it groups well I think it could be a good starter for my daughter on a deer. I’ve read some very good reviews of the 22 caliber TSX bullets. 22-250 is very popular in Europe for deer sized animals.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>

Currently handloading with 55 grain Sierra Game King (1365) with very good results. 55 grain bullets still lets the 250’s speed shine for varmints/predators.

I am planning on picking up some 65 gr Barnes TSX to give a try. If it groups well I think it could be a good starter for my daughter on a deer. I’ve read some very good reviews of the 22 caliber TSX bullets. 22-250 is very popular in Europe for deer sized animals.

There is a 177 page thread on a particular western hunting forum of guys tipping over tons of deer (and larger) game with the 223 and the 77 TMK from Sierra.

isu22andy

Watched an antelope bang flop at 300 yards with a 60 grain 22-250 with my own eyes . Love that speed

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.