Beginner lead core questions.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m going to go take a gander at the store for a lead core rod. I do not fish this way nor am I a trolling kind of guy.
    But im interested in getting a set up 2 in my arsenal. What do I need to get set up, I know i need a rod and line counter reel.
    What length and action rod?
    What backer line, what lead is a good easy set up, as well as how much of each. And then what leader line do I run?

I appreciate any input.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Generally a longer rod. I got a telescoping rod but you still want enough sensitivity to see the rod action so you know you aren’t bouncing bottom

Line counter reel I have a Diawa but wish I had gone slightly bigger. I can fit 5 colors on my reel with mono backer and probably 10ft of floro leader

Definitely some trial and error involved which is why the line counter helps

Erik Swenson

Hey Bearcat, I just ordered some leadcore for the first time and have been doing a bit of research on the subject so it’s funny you brought this up. There’s a few past threads about it too, but you are going to get a few different opinions. The backing is commonly mono although some prefer braid too. For the leader, it’s similar. Some say mono, some braid, others flouro. I am going a simple route and backing with mono, leadcore then about 20′ of flouro leader. Lot’s of video out on the Tube too. Hope that helps.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah i appreciate the input.
    I dont want to break the bank because it’s not my type of fishing but I would like to have for deep water raps this time of year.
    I also do t enjoy fishing with a piece of trash, so something decent that won’t kill my bill fold. ( if I sold some of my rods I could feed the entire city ).

I’ve been watching you tube and doing research.
    Most of the lead core fishing i will be doing is going to be on the st croix, if that matters

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

For the croix or mille lacs you really should only need 5 colors at most. So one spool will do two rods. Im not sure what size reels I have. They are diawa sealine 27’s I believe. I’d put 50ft of 10lb mono backing, 5 colors of lead core (I like the regular suffix, not the advanced), then a 20ft leader of 10lb flouro on the end. For rods, you don’t need anything fancy, just something with a fairly sensitive tip so you can see your bait’s action. I have Cabelas depth master rods, they work fine for me.
    Give me a ring if you want. I could help you set them up sometime.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For the croix or mille lacs you really should only need 5 colors at most. So one spool will do two rods. Im not sure what size reels I have. They are diawa sealine 27’s I believe. I’d put 50ft of 10lb mono backing, 5 colors of lead core (I like the regular suffix, not the advanced), then a 20ft leader of 10lb flouro on the end. For rods, you don’t need anything fancy, just something with a fairly sensitive tip so you can see your bait’s action. I have Cabelas depth master rods, they work fine for me.

I will take you up on the offer, I’m going to order 2 rods because ff and gander have nothing.
    Next time we hit the water you will have to show me the set up guidelines. Muchly appreciated

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Same on the rods for me, I also have the sea line but not sure what size my set ups are up north

Reef W

also do t enjoy fishing with a piece of trash, so something decent that won’t kill my bill fold.

leadcore will make everything feel like trash, don’t spend too much on the rods

grizzly
    nebraska

I run leadcore up at LOTW and a lot of the time we’re out 9 colors and use 4 ft. Shorty rods and love them. You can tell every time you touch bottom or even pick up anything on a hook. Tried longer rods and didn’t like them so are in the rod box and haven’t touched them in a year

bigcrappie
    Blaine

No line counter needed as you count colors going out, The newer Suffix Advance dives 8 ft per color vs the old 5ft per color on regular lead . Use a 20ft floro leader. I use a cheap cabala’s set up 8’6″ telescoping set up like $89 rod and reel

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What are the rods. Like medium moderates or medium heavy?
    Sorry this is not my skill set when I go on the water.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

No line counter needed as you count colors going out, The newer Suffix does 8 ft per color vs the old 5ft per color. Use a 20ft floro leader. I use a cheap cabela’s set up 8’6″ telescoping set up like $89 rod and reel

Damnit, no line counter? I thought I almost had this in the bag lol. Now I’m back to square 1

deertracker

Use a line counter. Yes you count colors but once you get your depth set you see what the counter says and put your line out easier the next time. Plus they help keep track of line out if you are in between colors.
    DT

Reef W

What line is 8 or 5ft per color? I thought it was 10 yards per color usually. That leaves quite a bit in the middle that isn’t accurate to eyeball.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>
    No line counter needed as you count colors going out, The newer Suffix does 8 ft per color vs the old 5ft per color. Use a 20ft floro leader. I use a cheap cabela’s set up 8’6″ telescoping set up like $89 rod and reel

Damnit, no line counter? I thought I almost had this in the bag lol. Now I’m back to square 1

Big crappie is right, you don’t need line counters for lead. That being said, I wouldn’t trade my line counters for a standard reel and if I was buying new I’d get line counters. It’s easier for the wife, or whoever is fishing with me to send it back to 167 instead of watching colors. Totally personal preference though.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

What line is 8 or 5ft per color? I thought it was 10 yards per color usually. That leaves quite a bit in the middle that isn’t accurate to eyeball.

He’s referring to the dive curve.
    Regular lead core usually gets you down about 5ft per color at 2mph.
    Suffix advanced is heavier so you’ll get 7-8ft of depth per color.
    All lead core that I’ve used changes color every 30ft.

Reef W

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>

Oh yeah, that makes sense, oops whistling

mojogunter

I have always figured 6′ per color with the non 832 leadcore suffix, and figure 7′ with 832 suffix leadcore. Deeper if you are under 1.5 MPH. I am no expert with leadcore, but I have have caught a lot of fish using it. I have found that all bets are off in current trying to figure out the dive curve.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>

mojogunter

9 colors on LOTW are you trolling at 4-5MPH, or are you in Canadian water where the depth gets deeper than 40′ that you would need 9 colors?

I run leadcore up at LOTW and a lot of the time we’re out 9 colors and use 4 ft. Shorty rods and love them. You can tell every time you touch bottom or even pick up anything on a hook. Tried longer rods and didn’t like them so are in the rod box and haven’t touched them in a year

Kenny Fisterbottom

Leadcore is very speed and current dependent on your dive curve. Look at where you plan to use it, and the max depth you will likely need, and set up your rods accordingly. My deepest spots are 30 feet, so I typically put 7 colors on my reels and fill the rest with backing. Fishing suspended fish in summer, compared to fishing deep flats or deeper old river channels are different games. I fish a ton of leadcore in spring and fall for eyes, as well as lead for salmon in summer, and they are different games. For both, I run braid backing because it allows you to put more backing on the reel over mono. Mono will work, but IMO you are way better off with braid. Fishing suspended fish, I will run a fluoro leader of about 20 feet, attached to the braid with an albright or willis know. If I’m pounding bottom for eyes, I run an 8 foot leader of 20# braid connected with a small barrel swivel to prevent twist if you pick up a leave or weeds. Nothing ruins leadcore faster than twisting it up from a fouled bait.

Even though you can count colors, colors fade and snags cost you a few feet of core now and then so I prefer a line counter reel. Makes repeating your setup much easier than counting colors, and sometimes, maybe you’ve had a beer or two, and counting colors isn’t super accurate.

For rods, the longer the rod you run, the better they need to be so you can read them, especially if you plan to run small floaters down to 20 feet of water. Not a lot of action in those baits and it can be hard to read what’s happening. 5 foot short rods are much easier to read, and you can get decent rods for 50 bucks. A good 9 foot rod you can read is going to cost you a lot more.

Lead core is a great tool to have in then arsenal, and many days in fall, it saves my guide trips when the jig bite just isn’t going. Clients often say they don’t want to troll, but when you box 10 fish for them in the last hour on a day when the jig bite is tough, they all ask why we didn’t troll more and they all want to know what to buy for lead core setups.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Bearcat,

Have you ordered anything yet?

I have 2 new/never used setups already spooled and ready to go.

I’d consider selling for little over half what I paid. They are not high end but should be good if you’re just dabbling.

Attachments:
    1. 20200814_153026_Burst01.jpg

2. 20200814_153132.jpg

tucrs
    NW Metro

I really like using telescopic rods because they fit in my rod holders.

I use ones from our shop. Eclipse Series 8’6″ Okuma Cold Water Reels and Suffix 18lb lead core.
    Works pretty slick. And yes 5 colors is plenty for most stuff around here.
    I usually only run 4 colors.

My favorite lure is a scatter rap minnow. I have use those almost 100% since I tried them.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I tried without line counters to begin with. Completely doable, but the instant you turn around to set out line #2, then turn back around, you’ve lost track of how many colors just went out on line 1. So it becomes 1 rod at a time. Get the line counters, then you can just check the counters!!

grizzly
    nebraska

9 colors on LOTW are you trolling at 4-5MPH, or are you in Canadian water where the depth gets deeper than 40′ that you would need 9 colors?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grizzly wrote:</div>

. 2.5 and it depends on your lure. Running a lot of flicker shads in 31-33 ft. Catches a ton of fish

B-man

My recommendation: Go Light on the gear

Much funner reeling in eyes and easier to read baits.

For walleyes a size 20 Magda or 27 Accudepth is perfect paired with a 7′ medium light trolling rod. The Accudepth linecounters stick far less, but cost more coin.

I like using 12lb 832 Advanced leadcore for eyes. The only downfall is you can’t use a Willis knot to connect your leader to the leadcore (I use a tiny barrel swivel, I think it’s a #10 SPRO?)

Definitely get line counters for contour trolling/bottom tagging walleyes. Even a 10′ difference in line can mean catching fish or not catching fish.

Build each reel identical. Mono is fine for backing unless you plan on running leadcore segments on boards.

Buy two identical reels.

Start backwards on the first reel.

Reel on 5 colors of 832.

Connect your backer with a swivel or a uni-uni.

Fill the spool until almost plum full.

Now tie your backer onto the other reel, set 0 on the empty reel.

Wind on all of the backer. Write down the number.

Wind on all of the lead core.

Now on the first reel (empty now), zero the counter and wind on the same amount of backer. Then wind on the other 5 colors.

Add a leader (I use 10lb flouro, and go with 25 feet), and now you have two identical setups.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions Ron!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

My recommendation: Go Light on the gear

Much funner reeling in eyes and easier to read baits.

For walleyes a size 20 Magda or 27 Accudepth is perfect paired with a 7′ medium light trolling rod. The Accudepth linecounters stick far less, but cost more coin.

I like using 12lb 832 Advanced leadcore for eyes. The only downfall is you can’t use a Willis knot to connect your leader to the leadcore (I use a tiny barrel swivel, I think it’s a #10 SPRO?)

Definitely get line counters.

Build each reel identical. Mono is fine for backing unless you plan on running leadcore segments on boards.

Buy two identical reels.

Start backwards on the first reel.

Reel on 5 colors of 832.

Connect your backer with a swivel or a uni-uni.

Fill the spool until almost plum full.

Now tie your backer onto the other reel, set 0 on the empty reel.

Wind on all of the backer. Write down the number.

Wind on all of the lead core.

Now on the first reel (empty now), zero the counter and wind on the same amount of backer. Then wind on the other 5 colors.

Add a leader (I use 10lb flouro), and now you have two identical setups.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions Ron!

This is exactly how I set up 4 Lake Superior rods with lead. Works slick and is as close to fool-proof as can be gotten.

catmando
    wis

I use the bigger accudepths and Okuma Magna pro 45,s go bigger,if want to put more colors on for some reason you can, can’t do it with a little reel. my 2 cents. Those reels should last quite awhile for the once in while guy, if I had the coin, ya I would get better, but no complaints with these. Okuma and Diawa Great Lakes rods are Ok. Dan.

mojogunter

That makes more sense, I was thinking you meant you were letting out 9 colors on lotw. grin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grizzly wrote:</div>

. 2.5 and it depends on your lure. Running a lot of flicker shads in 31-33 ft. Catches a ton of fish

eyeguy507
    SE MN

so what is the purpose of backer? is it because leadcore is spendy? I can’t ever expect to have more than 100 yards of lead out behind the boat.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.