Bed shopping

• Coletrain27

The time has come we need a new work bench. Today we went and looked at the sleep numbers and purple beds.

The sleep numbers felt nice and the adjustability seemed nice but at the same time it almost just seems like it’s a glorified air mattress and some foam on top of it. Another thing that kind of turned me off way the salesmen said we had so many days to try the mattress and could return it no problem but the base is non returnable which seems odd to me.

The purple 3 and 4 both felt good for both of us and would be a little cheaper of the two brands. We want an adjustable base to lift the head area up for watching tv which both beds can do.

Anyone have any good or bad things to experiences with these two brands? We have researched alot online and there were many good and bad reviews for both brands but it sounds like the purple mattress has alot better customer service. Purple has a 10 year full warranty and the sleep number is 15 year warranty but is prorated after the first year.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have a sleep number bed… I will not buy anything but a sleep number. We just stayed in a hotel a couple weekends ago and the bed was nice, but it did not have the cooling top, (I though it was a gimmick, but the wife wanted it so we have it) and it sucked. Also, my folks have had a sleep number for close to 30 years. About 5 years ago, they bought a new one and when we were helping move the old bed to a different bedroom in the house we noticed that it had some discoloring. Called sleep number and the replaced the entire bed other than the base and air pump. That’s good customer service. The bed they replaced was over 20 years old.

isu22andy

We have a helix I think ? It’s alright . Nothing to praise by any means . Has to be better than what the indians roamed the plains on . Buddy said he was still making payments on his bed – seems absurd to me . I’ve never slept good on a hotel mattress my whole life – I firmly believe your body knows when it’s not home and is on more alert. Good luck in your search – there’s 100s of options. I bet the mark up in these things is insane.

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

Im a sterns and foster kinda guy. All i know is ill never sleep on a cheap mattress ever again. I think it was 4kish out the door retail of 7k i believe

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Im a sterns and foster kinda guy. All i know is ill never sleep on a cheap mattress ever again. I think it was 4kish out the door retail of 7k i believe

I have a Stearns and foster as well. Love it. We ditched the sleep number. Tried purple, that thing was a pos

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>breakerbreaker wrote:</div>

I have a Stearns and foster as well. Love it. We ditched the sleep number. Tried purple, that thing was a pos

Never have tried either, got a coworker that has one for a decade prolly 260lbs and its still holding up well per him.

brentbullets

Sleep Number. Only beds I’ve had for almost 30 years. My son’s post above will tell you something as to why.

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

We have had our sleep number for over 17 years and love it. We are thinking of getting a new one as we want the adjustable base option also. Not cheap, the one we were looking at is about $8k.

B-man

Everyone is different.

We had a Sleep Number and HATED it. It felt like I was on a camping trip for the 10 years I had it. The “hole” between the air mattresses was super annoying, so I eventually ended up gluing the two air mattresses together lol.

We went with a Purple a few years ago, it’s my favorite bed I’ve ever had.

It’s comfortable and stays cool. It’s also held up awesome so far.

Try a bunch of bed brands, there’s not one bed that works for everyone.

ThunderLund78

We have a Purple and love it. Bearcat, how was yours a “pos?”

We’ve been through a lot of mattresses and the purple is by far the best we’ve owned. Either way, its all about personal preference, how you sleep, etc. But Purple helped me.

There’s a place in Bloomington/Edina area called Sleep Sherpa. They actually will let you try different brands in-home for a number of days (at least they did before COVID). I’m guessing they have several test mattresses they circulate so other people have probably slept on them, but it’s probably cleaner than any hotel bed.

riverbassman

We bought the Purple 3 as it was soooo very comfortable. Absolutely loved it as it is comfortable and cool. HOWEVER, after a couple nights I developed a strange, never felt before back pain. I tried for a month but it never got better.
    We ended up on a trip for over a week (different beds) and the pain went away….. I came home and 2 nights on the Purple, pain came back. Place we purchased it had a 100 day trade (back in) if we didnt like it. The salesman said Purple are good, but even the hybrids (3 and 4) don’t give enough support (he says they are very low quality but their marketing sells themselves).
    We traded in for another brand (Beautyrest) hybrid and it is very comfy and my back pain isnt gone, but is slowly getting better.
    My Wife loved the purple brand and for once, I was the one complaining!!!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The older I get, the more firm I need a mattress. Don’t fall victim to laying on a real soft plush one for 5 minutes and think it’s “super comfortable.” Your body will think otherwise after sleeping on it for 7-8 hours and you may wake up sore.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We have a Purple and love it. Bearcat, how was yours a “pos?”

We’ve been through a lot of mattresses and the purple is by far the best we’ve owned. Either way, its all about personal preference, how you sleep, etc. But Purple helped me.

There’s a place in Bloomington/Edina area called Sleep Sherpa. They actually will let you try different brands in-home for a number of days (at least they did before COVID). I’m guessing they have several test mattresses they circulate so other people have probably slept on them, but it’s probably cleaner than any hotel bed.

We both hated it and returned it after 11 days. Was super comfortable at first. Then it just straight sucked. Same with the sleep number. So we tried the sterns and foster and love it. It was spendy. 4500 bucks but I depend on a comfortable bed for the little time I actually spend in it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sleep number was terrible for us.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

We purchased an adjustable frame from a bedroom store. We used the mattress that we already had on it for awhile, When we went looking for a new mattress we told them we needed a mattress that would work with an adjustable bed frame. We ended up purchasing a Hybrid mattress. The total cost of the Frame and the mattress were a fraction of the cost of either the sleep # or the purple.

stout93
    Becker MN

Guessing most will be aghast by this, but we bought ours online without even trying it. Maybe we got lucky..

Saatva is the brand. Couldn’t be happier.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.