Bear Hunting!!

• hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Well im goona try bear hunting this year and i plan on taking one with my bow.

Has anyone else taken a bear, or tried to with a bow and have any pointers

Bait of choice?

Looks like im the first one to post in this section so maybe no one bear hunts at all?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve thought about bowhunting for bear too. Tom Gursky on the site here is a bear guide around the Iron Mountain mich. area.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve thought about bowhunting for bear too. Tom Gursky on the site here is a bear guide around the Iron Mountain mich. area.

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

I have taken 3 black bears with a bow. Best advice I can give you is to wait, if you are hunting over bait, wait. All three bears have eventually given me a good shot. But you have to wait for them to settle down. When they come in, look at them real close and estimate the weight. Then reduce that by about 40-50%. Big bears have what appear to be small ears, and there is not much distance between their belly and the ground. Go for the double lung shot and the bear will not go over 50yds. All of mine expired within 40 yards, one within sight of the stand. Good luck!

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

I have taken 3 black bears with a bow. Best advice I can give you is to wait, if you are hunting over bait, wait. All three bears have eventually given me a good shot. But you have to wait for them to settle down. When they come in, look at them real close and estimate the weight. Then reduce that by about 40-50%. Big bears have what appear to be small ears, and there is not much distance between their belly and the ground. Go for the double lung shot and the bear will not go over 50yds. All of mine expired within 40 yards, one within sight of the stand. Good luck!

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Never hunt bears alone, you need someone to outrun when the bears attack. Wear small bells on your shoes when walking in the woods, you will know when bears are in the area by their droppings…they will have little bells in them!

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Never hunt bears alone, you need someone to outrun when the bears attack. Wear small bells on your shoes when walking in the woods, you will know when bears are in the area by their droppings…they will have little bells in them!

corey_waller
    hastings mn

I have also taken a couple of bears with a bow here in Mn and one in Manitoba. I agree to wait them out. They tend try to lay down on the outskirts of the bait site and and wait till it gets more towards dusk befor they come in. They are very quiet and you may not know if they have moved close to the site. keeping your movement to a minimum is HUGE. As for bait we strictly used pastry and molesass’s . and did a honey burn just befor we climed into the tree. Once we had good bear activity we would put trail timers on the bait sites. the bears seemed to hit the sites soon after they were baited and the wheelers left. because of that we really belive in the 2 guys in and 1 guy out when you hunt the stand. They hear the wheeler leave and think the coast is clear and when they come in there you sit ready to NAIL EM. well I could talk bear hunting all day but that is enough of my rambling if you have any questions give me a shout.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

I have also taken a couple of bears with a bow here in Mn and one in Manitoba. I agree to wait them out. They tend try to lay down on the outskirts of the bait site and and wait till it gets more towards dusk befor they come in. They are very quiet and you may not know if they have moved close to the site. keeping your movement to a minimum is HUGE. As for bait we strictly used pastry and molesass’s . and did a honey burn just befor we climed into the tree. Once we had good bear activity we would put trail timers on the bait sites. the bears seemed to hit the sites soon after they were baited and the wheelers left. because of that we really belive in the 2 guys in and 1 guy out when you hunt the stand. They hear the wheeler leave and think the coast is clear and when they come in there you sit ready to NAIL EM. well I could talk bear hunting all day but that is enough of my rambling if you have any questions give me a shout.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You guys that hunt bears with a bow….are you NUTS ? Did you notice the claws and teeth on them critters? And, the can climb trees I guess I am too chicken to hunt a critter than can eat me

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You guys that hunt bears with a bow….are you NUTS ? Did you notice the claws and teeth on them critters? And, the can climb trees I guess I am too chicken to hunt a critter than can eat me

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Your not thinking right wats, Gotta have a side peice with ya so it gives you a great excuse to go out and buy a new pistol

I personally dont like the idea of baiting and animal to hunt so i thought that using my bow would be a little harder

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Your not thinking right wats, Gotta have a side peice with ya so it gives you a great excuse to go out and buy a new pistol

I personally dont like the idea of baiting and animal to hunt so i thought that using my bow would be a little harder

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.