Be careful out there. Buddy broke 5 ribs fishing.

• Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

My buddy (and his wife) are spending the week with me. He has an older boat with a foot petal only bow mount Minn Kota. It has a rope pull to lift the motor out of the water. Well the rope broke and he went ass over tea kettle landing on the edge of the livewell (carpeted plywood top/seat). He broke 5 ribs and punctured his lung. With his COPD, heart issues and other things he will be in the hospital until at least Tuesday. Then it’s a slow, long recovery.

I shutter every time I think that after he laid there a while to plan his next move . . . . he had to get up and pull the rope to start his 25hp Evinrude.

Things happen in a snap. Be careful out there.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ouch! That had to hurt!

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Unfortunately been through this same deal. Pulled the rope & had it snap 1/2 way up. 275lbs hitting everything on the way back of a 22ft Ranger & landing in the rear motor well. Cracking my sternum was no picnic, with every excruciating painful breath I wished I were dead.

Deuces

I thought for sure this was going to be a new boat and a wife story.

Hope everyone heals up quickly.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

What ever you do, don’t make your buddy laugh! Don’t ask how I know….. doah

-J.

CaptainMusky

Man, that is awful! Its crazy how something so simple to end so bad.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Gawd I hated those ropes on the trolling motors for various reasons. My terrova must have some kind of lift assist spring because it’s super easy to stow. I do tend to worry that I will be pulling it out one day and possibly fall in rough water.
    Accidents happen to the most seasoned boaters.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

After my ordeal I replaced the rope with cable wire.

stevenoak

Against her will. Taught my wife to start and operate the boat. Because you never know. Put a 4 wheeler back up right. Rode it back to the farm. Walked in the house, down stairs for a shower. Then back up. Ended up my fibula had shattered at the knee. 6 hours of surgery, with 3 screws and a bone graft off my pelvis. Off work for 6 months. Shock is an amazing thing.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Ouch that kind of stuffs happens fast. Hope for a speedy recovery

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I was totally expecting this to be a wake boat injury. blush

Best wishes to your buddy. Sucks to get hurt doing what you love.

MX1825

I was totally expecting this to be a wake boat injury. blush

Best wishes to your buddy. Sucks to get hurt doing what you love.

It could of been Ralph!! doah

Hope for speedy recovery everyone.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

HH wish your buddy the best from me.It could have been worse but he’s not going to think so for at least a coupla months.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Hodag, wow that sucks man hope your buddy recovers quickly. To have that happen on top of having COPD. I can’t imagine what he is going through.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The GForce handles from TH Marine are great replacement handles. Those things are solid.

I almost took out some ribs a couple weeks ago loading the boat. Stepped down onto the tongue of my trailers and slipped. Caught myself on the rail of my boat with my ribs. Luckily I got my arms down quick enough to brace myself a little bit. Still had some nice bruises.

Glad you buddy made it out with what he did. Could’ve been worse.

robby
    Quad Cities

That is terrible. Rib fractures are painful enough, but to have a pneumothorax on top of it. Ugh! What is his name? First name only is fine. I will pray for him.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

My Buddy’s Name is Jeff, From Adams WI. Thanks for the prayers. He is still in the hospital, may get out maybe tomorrow. Better chance is Tuesday. He was able to get the the bathroom and back (this time) by himself. Yesterday he fainted trying to leave the bathroom. Long way to go but today is better than yesterday. That’s all we can help for.

MX1825

Get well soon Jeff! Take care and get home safe.
    I have a cabin in Adams County and need our fisherman on the water.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.