BBD

• jordanb
    SE MN

Put a buck down tonight. Story and pictures will be coming tomorrow!

jordanb
    SE MN

Well I was able to put a buck down last night……

Overall this season has been very slow for me and I was struggling to find any good bucks to go after; but I knew they were there. Fast forward to late October. I finally was able to go into my best spot for big bucks. I always save this spot for the best time of year. My first few sits in this spot were very uneventful and had very few sightings of deer at all. A few different good bucks were popping up on camera but nothing with any regularity. On the evening of November 1st I snuck into my set around 2. On my way to the stand I ended up bumping a very good buck and thought my evening would be ruined. When I finally made it to my stand I no more than got up the tree when I saw a decent buck sneaking around the ridge behind me. He wrapped his way around the ridge and I was finally able to settle in. After about 2.5 hours of seeing nothing but 40-50 turkeys I decided to rattle at 5 o’clock. The past few nights I had a few good bucks come right in to the horns. So I tickled the horns together for a little while hoping to catch the attention of any bucks nearby. At 5:05 I looked to my left and saw a big white rack coming around the corner from the set aside grass. Immediately upon seeing the big 2s and 3s on the right side I knew the deer, and knew he was a shooter. Within 30 seconds he closed the distance from 80 yards to 20 yards. He was directly in front of me and about to walk in my shooting lane but there was hardly any cover between us so I preceded to draw back as slow and with as little movement as possible. Success. I came to full draw without him noticing. He came directly in my lane, only 20 yards away. I stopped him and settled the pin behind his shoulder. As soon as I released the arrow I knew the deer was not going to make it far. Immediately upon impact the buck let out a loud bellow and I knew I smoked him. He ran up the trail no more than 50 yards and I heard him crash! I was relatively calm up until that point, and then I realized what just happened and was so stoked. After about 30 minutes I got down out of the tree and saw that the Mathews and Rage did work on this deer and he was pouring out the blood immediately. I walked 10 yards from where I shot him and he was laying just around the corner on the trail! This deer certainly had a ton of ground growth and I had no idea just how tall those brow tines were.

Persistence certainly pays off in archery hunting and all the hard work and preparation is all worth it in the end. Hunt hard, hunt smart, and never stop learning.

Attachments:
    1. DSC_0009.jpg

2. BBD.jpg

3. DSC_0003.jpg

4. WGI_0025.jpg

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Nice deer congratulations.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

GREAT Buck! Love those long brow tines. Congrats!

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Ya have to love it when all the hard work final comes together. Great Buck. CONGRATS.!! .rrr

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats! That’s a great buck. It should score well.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice Buck Jordan, Good looking rack too.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Congrats! Great deer.

sktrwx2200

Big boys are starting to move around!!! awesome buck. Mature deer, great job.

jordanb
    SE MN

Here’s some interesting info. Only 2 days before I shot this deer a fellow hunter had him on his trail cam almost 2.5 miles away! After talking back and forth for a bit we figured out this deer had traveled at least 7 miles back and forth between our woods in the last 6 days. Incredible.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Congrats on the nice deer!!!

Mark

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

7 miles! Wow that was a lot of territory covered! Talk about a beefy neck and great brow tines! Great buck!

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

7 miles! Wow that was a lot of territory covered! Talk about a beefy neck and great brow tines! Great buck!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great buck Jordan.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

AWESOME! well played……

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

nice buck, I would so mount that one on the wall.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.