Bayport sturgeon

• sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Have had great success finding and catching sturgeon in the Bayport area this fall until the last couple weeks. Only three caught in last four outings. I usually fish during the day. Is there a water temp at which they become nocturnal? These high pressure, blue bird days turn them nocturnal? Or gave they wandered off to a different part of the river? I have noticed that the mud puppies are all very hungry, can they push sturgeon out?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

We fished last Saturday out of Beanies and had maybe 2 bites all day. It got really windy in the afternoon and we called it early.

Looks like P4 is the place to be this year.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My experience with sturgeon and weather has resulted in no definitive differences. The only weather I struggle in is wind. That’s only because of boat control and bite detection. FBRM has fished in gales and has had phenomenal results.

Has anyone had luck in the bayport area lately? I’m taking the wife out tonight so I’m hoping to not make a bad choice for location.

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Good luck tonight. I’ve got close to seventy sturgeon between the new bridge and the power lines so far this fall. The last two weeks they have been scarce.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

They are suspending…. Shhhhh you didn’t hear it from me.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Made it out. Did a lot of searching and only spent about 45 min with lines in the water. No bites.

Never marked many fish that I thought were sturgeon. There was at least one boat on all of my most productive spots. Didn’t see much movement in the other boats either.

@slipperybob

I didn’t see anything suspended either. Are you targeting these fish? If so, how?

dbright
    Cambridge

There should be plenty of guys out today with them having the sturgeon classic today. From what I have been seeing they have been catching quite a few fish up by the new bridge. I have only been out once down river so far with bow hunting taking up most of my time.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Made it out. Did a lot of searching and only spent about 45 min with lines in the water. No bites.

Never marked many fish that I thought were sturgeon. There was at least one boat on all of my most productive spots. Didn’t see much movement in the other boats either.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slipperybob wrote:</div>

@slipperybob
    I didn’t see anything suspended either. Are you targeting these fish? If so, how?

Not intentional… Just slip bobber fat head minnow set down about 10-15′ and an occasional take. Its rare to catch then suspended.

rschmidty

I was out three weeks ago and the bite was pretty decent. I haven’t been out since but will be twice this week. I’ll report back.

Curious how the weekend tourney went.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ve been struggling down by Prescott the last two weeks with sturgeon.
    Friday I took the boat up to Bayport, from 8pm until noon Saturday I boated close to 40 sturgeon.
    Was pretty slow after that.

Them fish have a mind of their own

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Good to hear from you. After about three weeks of high pressure the barometer started dropping Thursday and continues to drop today. I’ll be out today and try again. See how my thirty pound anchor and bungee system will work in this wind

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

FBRM has fished in gales and has had phenomenal results.

Waves were coming over the bow while anchored Saturday.

30# anchor plus 2 bungees to stay put, a wave over the bow would budge a few feet though.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Curious how the weekend tourney went.

Over 40 fish entered bigger than 48″

A good amount of fish.
    I think 62″ won it

lhprop1
    Eagan

Have the St Croix fish started taking crawlers and fatheads yet or are they still being snooty and only eating shad?

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Made it out Monday , mostly see how my thirty pound anchor would work in big wind. Worked very well. I used the GPAS cord from Hickory Glen and really liked it. No water over the bow, let the boat ride up over the waves. Only one sucker came over the side.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.