Senko Hook?

• bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Looking for suggestions regarding a hook for a standard 5″ to 7 ” Senko. Have used Gamu 3/0 worm, 3/0 EWG, 3/0 WG as well as the 4/0 variety of each but am not completely happy with the hook up ratio. Suggestions?

kinny

I use 4/0 EWG. I dont get too caught up in what brand they are, currently I’m using Bass Pro hooks. The only way I fish Senkos is weightless texas rigged for dock fishing and have very little problem with hook up ratio.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

what you have tried are the only ones I use. operator error perhaps?

dylan-gravenhof
    Worthington, MN

i really only use them wacky style around docks and i use Eagle Claw Weedless Hooks in 4/0 or 5/0

duckilr
    Mississippi River

For texas rigging senkos either Gamakatsu 3/0 or 4/0 EWG. Never had a problem with hook ups though. Can you explain further what is going on with the missed fish..break offs, thrown hook???

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I fish 5/0 Owner and have had excellent hookup ratio’s I also like the extra weight for both casting and fall rate in deeper water. I use the impact style with the keeper barb.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

I have gone to a straight shank worm hook in either 4/0 or 5/0 for senkos or ANY OTHER WORM I THROW..

why? because the fish stay buttoned up.. and I use this hook on 4 inch finnesse worms as well…

and my catch ratio, especially with smallies is next to perfect..

you don’t lose fish on those big hooks..

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

You know the feeling. Texas rigged, you get a nice thump and even see the line jump. Reel down and set the hook only to feel a split second of resistance then nothing. The worm comes back bunched down on the hook with about half inch of the point exposed (the point was originally skin hooked after being run thru the worm).

In thinking about it, virtually every time a successful hook up is acheived the worm has run up on the line ahead of the hook. That is why I question the WG or EWG feature along with the overall size.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Sounds like classic line stretch or too whimpy of a rod

jimt
    Sparta, WI

Like Old Rat I use a regular 3/0 or 4/0 J-bend worm hook. Hook up ratio seems to be a lot better with that style hook. If the bait has a thin profile like a sinco, worm, lizard, etc I always use the J-bend.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

No whimpy allowed. 7′ St. Croix Avid MH or H with 17lb mono or floro.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Sounds like you are getting a lesson from BIG SUNFISH… -grin-

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Quote:

Like Old Rat I use a regular 3/0 or 4/0 J-bend worm hook. Hook up ratio seems to be a lot better with that style hook. If the bait has a thin profile like a sinco, worm, lizard, etc I always use the J-bend.

sorry but no bend in my hooks.. all STRAIGHT SHANKS with a slice at the top..

and while they are getting harder to find.. the true pros all use a STRAIGHT SHANK HOOK as well.. especially for flipping..

and they take it one step further by SNELLING THEIR HOOK.. which causes it to tip up when you set the hook..

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

Sounds like you are getting a lesson from BIG SUNFISH…

that was my first thought. If you fish senkos enough you get the feel for what is a sunfish and what is a bass. Not saying I’m right a 100% of the time but definitly a difference. I have a buddy who sets the hook all the time and has what you have described happened to you while I’m fishing with him.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

I used to use the TRU-turn all the time for straight worms, but they got so hard to find that I went to an EWG.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.