Crankbait rods –medium action or medium heavy

• wrp5

I am looking to purchase a 7′ crankbait rod. I am looking at the Kistler crankbait composite rod that has graphite and fiberglass built in together. The one that I am interested in has a lot of backbone but a soft tip. My question is which weight medium or medium heavy and why?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I like a medium rod for crankbaits.

zombywuff
    Illinois

Medium heavy for me. I still want better control of the fish when hooked. Get a fish tangled in the weeds and the chances are better that they’ll shake free.

I also use a lot of large, wide billed crankbaits. They shake the rod out of your hands with a medium weight rod!

jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

I have two of the rods you are talking about and they are the best crankbait rods I have used yet. I went with the medium action.

Jason

robby
    Quad Cities

I use a medium Falcon Cara Reaction most of the time. If you are going to throw larger/heavier crankbaits and/or crank deep water the medium/heavy is the way to go.

TACKET
    NE Iowa

If you are fishing say 8′ and shallower I’d go with a medium rod. You will have more give on a fish with a medium and they will not tear free of the hooks so easy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.