Denny’s Super 30

• RT
    Twin Cities

Anyone fishing the Denny’s Super 30 on Pools 4 & 5 this weekend?

flick
    Alma WI

Wanted to really bad..but I got graduations to go too!

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Just the gander mountain out of red wing Saturday.

adloos
    Winona, MN

Yeah, i will be fishin it. Should be a fun one, with the water high. Can’t wait.

Loomy
    Crystal, Minnesota

I think they’re gonna bite this weekend. It should be a good time!
    Loomy

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Way to go andy! Hell of a bag!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Was it a nice bag? Paper or plastic? Was it one of those cool ziplock bags that change color when they are closed???

Seriously though, how full was it and what was inside? Did Andy win? Details, man, details!!!!

fireflick
    Alma WI

Nice bags andy. Make sure you save some for Little Flick.

riverfan
    MN

All,

I’m happy to say yours truly won by a whopping 1 ounce. It’s been several years since I won a tournament and I wasn’t sure it was ever going to happen again. My partner, Brian Blaiser and I had 22lbs 10 oz, right behind us with 22-9 was Kevin Pose and Joe Preston. Than came Eric Ronigan and Matt Hanson with 22-4, than Andy with 22-3. I don’t know how it could have been any tighter. A little water in the bag could have changed the positions. I don’t have the numbers but I believe 5th place was around 20 lbs. I was impressed on how many limits came in. I thought it was a tough bite and we worked hard to get each one.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Way to go John, You are Long Overdue. I dont know if I wana fish against you if you Got your “MO JO” Back. CONGRATS!

flick
    Alma WI

Atta baby Andy….Nice Bag! Your my Boy! lol

riverfan
    MN

Joe,

Not to worry, My Mo Jo has a habit of leaving the country for long periods of time. I really enjoyed fishing the Halloween Classic with you last fall. Let do it again.

Riverfan

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Great Job… 1 ounce. wow.
    I know how you feel. I was culling each and every ounce I could get and at days end I was rethinking each fish. Next time I will be more careful. I look foreward to seeing you this fall. Good Luck!
    jc

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

we had quit the run in with a pair (husband and wife?)fishing this tournament on sunday.

we were fishing down below madian rock for walleye when this big bright yellow boat comes zooming right in on top of us. the lady in the front asked us what we were fishing for, and we responded walleye. she then proceded to tell use an exact spot where they had just caught 5-6 dandy walleye casting for bass. she told us exactly how we should fish it and what to use in what color. i found this kind of strange for someone to be so open about a spot. she then so politely asked us to pretty much get the hell out of their spot, (even though we were there first) because we were “going to drift right over were all the smallies hang out.” i guess we found out the interior motive behind the sharing of the secret spot, huh . what are you supposed to do in that situation?

Rigman

tell them thanks for the tip and keep fishing… you may want to tell them you just landed a few 6 lb. smallies down by Maple Springs I think I saw the same boat out there during the week prefishing… what kind of boat were you fishing out of… we were out at Maiden rock on Sunday as well…

riverfan
    MN

Jake,

The lady you were referring to is Karen Savik. You may see her on national TV if you watch the Saturday morning fishing shows on ESPN 2. I’ve been fishing tournaments for over 20 years and have to admit I’ve probably done something questionable like that. I know from the post you fished your first tournament this spring and if you continue, I suspect you will run into a situation where someone will be on a spot you want and you will experience the frustration. I’m not condemning or condoning what they did, its just part of the game. You had every right to stay where you were. What I might suggest is to tell them how long you intend to stay on the spot and invite them to come back later. What many tournament anglers forget is that it is a game we play, not life and death. I also did a stupid thing in the tournament and made someone angry with me. I regret it now but in the heat of the competition you don’t always use good judgement. The one thing I’m most concerned about is alienating each other, and when a really important issue comes along we can’t work together. There are forces out there that want to change what we do and we must work together to make sure they don’t succeed.

If you really want to get back at Karen, you can post exactly where she want to get to. Just kidding Jake, don’t do that.

Riverfan

Loomy
    Crystal, Minnesota

Jake,
    Interesting story. I think we all need to operate with integrity on the water. You each had equal right to the spot. Given the same situation, I would ask if it’s OK for me to share the spot with you. It is frustrating to pull up to a spot and see someone sitting on it but it’s critical to remember that everyone enjoys being on the water. Riverfan said it well, it’s a game, not life and death. FTR does a good job of promoting a safe, enjoyable experience on the water, I’d like to see all anglers (tournament, experienced, weekend, and rookie) echo that.

I think your best bet in this situation would be to invite them to share the spot with you. I imagine there’s plenty of room for both of you.

Loomy

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

don’t get me wrong here, they actually seemed to be pretty nice people. she did ask us to move but not completely out of the area (although it seemed to be suggested?) they just didn’t want us to drift over a specific spot they wanted to cast too.

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Jake,

I don’t care who they were, or how nice they acted, they
    were out of line. You have every right to fish how you
    like, and where you like, with in the bounds of fishing
    regulations, boating regulations, and good ethics. Asking
    someone to move so they don’t disturb “their” spot, is
    unethical at the very least. You were there first.

I personally would have told them how I felt about their
    request, and the discusion was over as far as I was
    concerned. If that did not resolve the issue, I would
    record the boat numbers, and contact the local authorities.
    Wisconsin has harassment laws to protect fishers, and
    hunters. If it is not clearly harassment, then it comes
    dang close.

Big Bass Bane

GradyH
    Lee's Summit, MO

Jeeeesh BBB! Did you not get your coffee this AM? At what point did this interaction become harassment? Nobody was yelling, screaming, demanding or threatening in any way from the way I read Jakes description. I agree that Jake had every right in the world to be in the spot and continue to stay right where he was, BUT the tournament angler also had the right to ask them if they could also fish the spot. I have been in the exact position the tournament anglers ran into. I have asked the angler in the same spot I wanted to fish if it was ok for me to fish. I have had responses from both ends of the spectrum from “You got the whole d**n river to fish, you ain’t got to fish here.” to “Sure, come on in they are really biting this morning.” On more than one occasion the angler sat back and watched me fish. We talked and shared a few fish tales, and they later showed up at the weigh-in to see how I fared. You never know if you don’t ask.

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Grady,

You are probably correct, I was a little low on
    coffee(grin). I guess I read they asked the first
    anglers to stop fishing, since their fishing was having
    them drift over the tournament anglers spot. If that is
    so, that is a little different than asking to share a spot.
    I tournament fish a fair amount, and I have never asked to
    “share” a spot. But that is just me. I don’t have a
    problem if others do, as long as it is kept civil, and the
    tournament anglers can accept “no” for the answer.

I have a few hot buttons, about the image tournament
    anglers have. Some of it is deserved, and some is
    often inflated, but never the less, these are issues
    for tournament anglers to be concerned about policing
    in their ranks. I hear this kind of complaint too often,
    from casual anglers, and unless the tournament angler
    takes extra care, and are extremely polite, these kinds
    of exchanges add to the ugly tournament angler perception.
    You sound like you have methods to make this a positive
    experience, so more power to you.

Big Bass Bane

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.