Best time frame to chase smallies on Pepin?

• alkfish
    St Paul MN

I was curious when the best prespawn/spawn smallie bite goes down on Lake Pepin. I am in the process of setting up some time to hit it, so if you guys have any suggestions fire away. Also water tempwise what has been your personal magic number?

Thanks in adavance,

~~~~~~~~alkfish

Rigman

We will be out this weekend chasing them on Lake Pepin… I heard the bass were snap’n before all the rain… Not sure what the rain will do… anyone been out on pepin for bass lately? thinking about trying the backwaters near wabasha some also for bass…

Rigman

anyone know of a good site for bass information on the river? this seems to be more of a walleye site…

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Sure would be nice if we had more bass info huh.
    jc

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

For some reason bass guys seem a little more tight lipped. I see this a lot on Tonka. With the KFAN, Dennys and other tournies down there the next few weekends there might be a little less chat as well. Maybe try pulling up some of the reports in archives. I know there are some good ones for bass on both 4 & 5 in there.

jedsall
    Dover Ohio

Bass guys are a little more possessive. Certainly around tournaments. Take the great river open, this weekend, Kfan next weekend. Extreme bass may 10. Denny’s super 30, may 17. That makes about $10,000 reasons not to talk about the hot bait, sweet pattern, that you’ve spent night after night scouring the river to perfect. Yes in a perfect society we would all share… however many topics have been discussed in detail about spring on the River, so scoure the earlier posts, or post specific questions, not many go unanswered at this site. All I’m saying is the information is here you just may have to dig a little harder, for it, and don’t expect a map with an “x” on it from a hardcore bass guy. If he marks one for you… he’s probably lying.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Right around the middle of May… the higher the water the better in my opinion. I really like it when all that scrubby brush and young willows growing along the shoreline riprap gets partially submerged so this rising water is a good thing for that bite.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Way to go, James. Now some weekend hacker has everything he needs to win the Bassmaster’s Classic. (/sarcasm)

How do the rest of you guys feel about the paranoia associated with “giving up the hot bite”? My first impression has always been that it’s a bit laughable, as anyone that’s likely to do well in a tourney is probably not going to win based on information so vague as, “Smallies are hitting cranks on pool 10.”

That sort of general info may put fish in the boat, but based on the info I’ve read here from some of the hard-cores here, it seems like it takes a heckuva lot more than that to be a winner. That’s especially true this time of year, when the weather patterns hold for a max of about two days.

The phenomena is not unique to bass fisherman either, there just happens to be more tourneys for bass. If you want to see real paranoia, try to get info on where the big slabs are during the crappie spawn (crappies school by size).

Rigman

yea, I think that must be it… the bass fishermen must be a little more competitive natured… I think this site is great, just seem to get a lot more useful information regarding the walleye bite. I know James and most of the guides target walleye the majority of the time, so we have to depend on others for some of this information..

I’m definitely not expecting exact locations, techniques, depths, etc… just looking for some general information to get started… never bass fished pool 4, but plan to start this year. thanks.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

This thread does make me chuckle a bit as well. My guess is that 99% of us reading these posts aren’t going to be in the KFAN or any other tourney, we are just looking for info to help put a few more in the boat. I do understand competitiveness though. I did PM someone who said they had good luck post the last weeks rain. I asked what areas/ structure they had found to be productive. We are not even close to the same pool but I thought I could target the same types of structure ect. My response was…”you know all the usual areas for spring smallies”. Well if I did know I guess I would not have asked.
    This site is AWSOME But at times, like the others have said, it can be a bit vague. I know I am just
    I’ll stop now cause the weather is great and I am hoping to get out and find a great area and share it with NO ONE!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Ya’ll crack me up. I posted a couple days ago the exact location of pool 9 smallies along with as many details I thought would interest everyone without getting to long winded. 5 fish 16lbs would cash a check in just about any tourney out there. If anyone would like more information my door/email is always open. Competition is 70% mental and 30% doing your homework. As for people wanting to be spoon fed I can do that to….
    jc

Rigman

Jeremy,
    your report was very informative, but there just isn’t a whole lot in general posted on this bass forum… There is a whole lot of difference between pool 9 and some others that people are inquiring about. I don’t think anyone is expecting to get spoon fed. There are some of us that don’t have all day – every day to go fishing and appreciate reports on fish activity NOT looking for locations/hot techniques… Just looking for general fishing reports that can give a guy an idea when to try his luck out there… I don’t mind going out and getting skunked, but I may as well try to time it right. time is valuable for some of us.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Check your pms.
    You should find it helpful.

As for general info you are correct. There just aren’t enough bass reports. Mountain man is doing his field staff duty but he is only person. Personallly I look forward to all his adventures.
    jc

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I understand some of the frustration here, but you also have to use some common sense here. If you are asking questions during some of the major tournies people will not say much. I agree with JC on this one about tourney prep, however, I am not always going to share spots. I think that another thing that may be frustrating to some is the lack of posts for the upper pools. I have found the information about pool 7-10 to be outstanding. For those of you that share that, thank you.

Bassman

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

All,

First let me say I do not intend to slam anyone with this
    reply, but some of what I have to say will be a bit pointed.
    Not pointed at anyone, but just pointed.

The title of the original post was, “The best time to
    chase smallies on Pepin”. Pepin is no different than
    any other system. The best time in Spring is after a
    few days of warm weather, and start looking where the
    seasonal patterns tell you the fish should be. If you
    don’t know the “Seasonal Patterns”, In-Fisherman has
    a good series of books that will help with that knowledge.
    The best lessons on getting spots, is to find them with
    time on the water, and some knowledge. I can’t remember
    when the last “dock talk” spot was worth the gas to get
    there. I have stumbled on some gems by reading maps,
    and watching the depth finder. As for Pepin specifically,
    keep in mind it can be a lake, and it can be a river,
    depending where you fish. So don’t forget to consider
    possible current when you pick apart the structure, and
    cover.

As for the discussion about bass boys being tight lipped,
    much of that has come from telling someone where you
    are catching fish, and finding them there when you want
    to go there and catch fish. Bass can be home bodies,
    so when they get pounded they either get very conditioned
    to lures, or they get turned into fish sticks. Walleyes
    are nomadic, so telling someone about a reef or a point,
    or some other structure holding fish, doesn’t mean that
    the fish will be there when you are. When I fished
    walleyes,I had no problem telling people where I caught
    fish, but I never told them when I caught them. And if
    they asked, I fibbed. Back to bass, since they, at times,
    are home bodies, a spot can get fished out, or at least he
    fish get pretty lure shy. All things that upset bass boys.
    Especially when they really want to cash that check, come
    tourney time. Also, I find that once a good bass spot,
    always a good bass spot, if they don’t get pounded. So
    the best practice is to keep them to yourself,

One word on “Dock Talk”. Don’t talk it, and don’t listen
    to it. It has caused me more grief, just by putting me
    off my game. Develop some skills, and some knowledge,
    and most importantly, confidence in them, and one won’t
    need to ask, “Best time frame to chase smallies on Pepin?”,
    or “Where are they biting”, or “What are they hitting on”.
    You will learn that the best way to answer those questions,
    is not by asking, but by doing.

Big Bass Bane

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Just asking about a simple time frame LOL

Answer= Mid May

Trying to plan a few days off now it is a done deal.

Thank you all for your input I appreciate everyones interaction.

Hitting the southerly pools Sat, if you see me give a holler. Be safe this weekend and em!!

~~~~~~~~~~alkfish

bigdog1
    NW Wisconsin

regarding “dock talk”, i understand that it can get a bass fisherman off his game, but only if a person lets it, i take the position that information is just that, even though most may be b.s. everything can just be put into a mind bank, but most fisherman are going to do their own thing anyway, the best time frame question is a good one for this board, its general enough to get responses however is not too detailed to make people back off, remember, there really is no secret spots anymore, and most fisherman are going to fish the way they always have and in the same spots they always have, fisherman are creatures of habit, often fishing memories, the way to learn in fishing is through risk taking and building confidence, tournaments are often more about confidence and timing, not about inside information

thumperw
    White Bear Lake, MN

Jeez, 3B! I appreciate your candor, but am disappointed by your spirit.

A board like this is all about “dock talk”, isn’t it? It’s about helping others become better anglers, and maybe even better people (ex. ARM). It’s about sharing a common interest and helping to promote that to new people. Before stumbling across FTL and seeing the FTR links, I had never given serious thought to fishing on the Mississippi. I’d like to heartily thank the EFN guys for their enouragement and advice.

And, please do me one favor, if you run into me at the launch, keep your secrets, but please don’t lie! “Ancient Chinese Secret” will suffice

(/rant) OK, stepping off the soapboax now.
    – Rick

fluker

Hi guys. I don’t post here that much but I’m a bass man and a internet junky (although on the slower side of that now after buying a new house).

This is my 2nd full season in MN. I grew up in SW MO / NW AR and learned to fish on deep, clear, rocky resevoirs. It’s definitely been a change for me up here. The lakes are totally dif and the river is also. I’m planning on going up this weekend and lucking into some. I fish with some REALLY good fisherman I’ve met up here and in my club. Several in the KFAN and in other big tournies. Great guys once you get to know them. Bass fishing is a very “clicky” sport, which is one of it’s downfalls, but it goes with the game.

In my opinion, I can tell you where I caught them (generally) and what on, butyou still have to catch them, and vice versa. Spots and some colors can be better kept to yourself at times, which is fine, but I can’t stand lying. If you don’t wanna tell me everything, just tell me, don’t lie.

Anyway, good luck to all. If you have any tips for a southern boy, please share.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

3B, I’m jumping on board with Thumper here – if nobody asks, and nobody tells, then this board is nothing but a bragging board where guys can come share in a peeing contest about how great they are.

The bassin forum would get less attention that it does right now, and I (imho) think it’s horribly underutilized today.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Shhhh….Don’t tell anyone how many nice Bronzebacks I picked up off the dock at the boat landing during the GTG tournament last july big G!

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

All,

I guess you all(Thunper and G) are correct. Discussion
    boards can have a bunch of dock talk. Some posts are more
    about technique, recognizing seasonal patterns, and
    applying those techniques, to different patterns. I guess
    I believe these kinds of discussions are great learning
    opportunities, but asking where, when, how, and on what
    have limited value. First the conditions can change by the
    minute, so these kinds of questions, and answers, albeit
    well meaning, can be more of a distraction, than a help. I
    don’t mean to be judgemental, but this just happens to
    be what my experience bears out. Get some ideas, from
    disscussion boards, and get on the water. Time spent
    running to “dock/discussion board spots”, has a good
    chance of time being wasted. But hey, please don’t
    let me slow down the “dock talk”. If you believe it
    helps you, then by all means go with what makes you
    confident. My effort in this was to try to explain
    that, for me, the best information comes from time on
    the water.

I will try to remember not to pee on anyone’s parade,
    in the future. I am getting my butt kicked by some
    cold water smallies right now, and I am a bit on the
    grumpy side. As soon as I find my lost bass buddies
    I will be all better

Big Bass Bane

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Your dock talk is right on the money. I got burned a couple times. The first time you start fishing with the mindset of someone else you are doomed. Fish your game your way and take the info from what others are going and see if it applies to your fishing techniques and abilities in the areas you feel confident it. If its locations you are looking for make sure the Dock Talk is from people you trust ot have prooven them selves in the past. Next make sure this is only in practice. Never the day of a tourney. Trust me on this one.
    jc

Rigman

as far as best time to chase smallies on Pepin… not yet that is for sure… we got the zippo skunker this weekend. I’m sure someone, somehwere was catching fish, but we covered a lot of water and only saw a couple whitebass being caught with a lot of anglers out in the lake. Tried Pepin area, Lake City area, all the way down to wabash and backwaters…

bigdog1
    NW Wisconsin

triple B’s, were you asking for dock talk when you posted “pool 4 mid may” last year in april?, sounded a little like the original post that alkfish asked, just curious

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Enough is enough.
    I think we all need to get out and do some fishing. This is after all what we are here for.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

JC, For once, the target isn’t on your forehead!!

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

BigDog,

I did not mean to imply that the original poster was
    “dock talking”, and I tried to say that at the start
    of that post. Also, my post last April, was not looking
    for dock talk spots, and I said that. I find
    technique, and seasonal pattern, info useful, I rarely
    find a list of spots, and someone’s “confidence” bait
    useful. That was all I was trying to say.

Big Bass Bane

bigdog1
    NW Wisconsin

I understand may good fortune shine to everyone on the water

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.