Standard Props for a 40hp Merc…

• jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Last week I picked up a 15 pitch prop for my Flat. The prop seemed to run very well for the first couple hours. As Tom was idling through some timbers he managed to bump ( barely touched ) a couple branched on the way of which nothing was significant nor even cause for concern. Upon revving the motor up there was a slight vibration but nothing really bad. When I inspected the prop 2 of the 3 blades were completely broken off about ½ way up the blade. Now I understand things happen but gperz. My best guess is that it was broke before and had significant welding done which made the blades brittle but the store I purchased it from says that is was NOT rebuilt. I guess I just feel this prop didn’t come close to measuring up to what I think they should. It was not a stainless. I just wanted to relay my thoughts and get your opinions on why / what / or the other.
    Jc

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Still waiting on the final verdict from the place I purchased it…..
    jc

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I had a 40 horse Merc for about 4 years. Aluminum props, were new when new, and rebuilt after I had wrecked em. I hit stumps, rocks, and God knows what with that boat, and the blades bent alot, and even had one sort of tear down the middle of the leaf, but never had them snap right off like that. Sounds a little wierd, and awfully brittle to me, considering you said you didn’t hit hard. Something sounds fishy with that prop IMO. What, I have no idea, but it sounds wierd to me compared to the aluminums I had. Was it a Merc prop?

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Many years ago I had a blade break off of an aluminum prop for no apparent reason. I did not hit it on anything that I was aware of with the exception of sand when I was pulling into a beach. The great thing about it was that I was back at the same beach 2 weeks later and found the blade in the sand totally by accident. I took it home and had the prop welded and balanced and it worked well. I now have a 40hp Merc with a stainless prop.

My dad has an aluminum prop on his motor and has had probems with them in the past so he carries a spare composite prop in his boat just in case. Have any of you used these composite props? They seem to be less costly than aluminum. I am just wondering how they perform.

Eyehunter

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I have a comp prop that came with the boat. 1988 50 merc. Wroks good if you aren’t on the river. First 5 minutes on the river and I chipped it. Good spare prop but will keep my aluminum one most of the time. My 2 cents.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I have no doubt there was something wrong with that prop. For as hard as we hit that wood, I could have easily kicked the blades off that prop. The remaining blade was perfect no knicks, dents or chips of any kind.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Im not positive on this but if a prop is rebuilt they stamp some letters/numbers on the hub area. I “raked a raker” prop over some rocks and when it came back the guy showed me the letters and said if you ever buy a used prop this means it has been rebuilt. Im not sure if this is industry standard or required or what but thats what i was told. sounds pretty weak to me though, id definately look into it.

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have had that problem, too. Hit something that should
    have dinged, or bent the prop, and the whole tip is sheared
    off instead. This happened on a couple of 25 to 30 hp
    OMC motors. As I recall the OMC original props never
    broke off chunks, unless I hammered rocks. The Michigan
    Wheel props I have used, did loose tips, where I thought
    that should not have happened. In your case, it sounds
    like there was some metalurgy issues, or someone put a
    rock in that wood you hit

Big Bass Bane

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Well,
    I contacted Starks and let them know if the problem. Not knowing if they were high on customer service and / or support I had an open mind. They told me that will give me a 15% discount on a new one….. I would think the supplier of props for them would like to keep happy customers but I guess I am small potatoes to them. I have only bought… a boat, a motor, misc trolling motor props, more spritis that I care to admit, piles and piles of tackle, St Croix rods when they had them, Ice and Pop every time through… OH yea, and a prop for a 40hp merc.

Just plain wrong. I’ll pay full price from someone else. I guess I feel like they think I am making this up to try and save a few $$. I would like to save some money but more importantly I would like them to take n honest look at the prop and replace it. Like blue said. It was flawed from the start. They should have bent at very most.
    jc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.