Shades..

• kNelson

Most of you guys are fairly hardcore bass guys and im assuming you all wear some sort of eye protection. How much importance do you place on good shades? Do they help a lot for how much you pay?

I just ordered some Oakley Half Jacket XLJ’s, polarized with like amber lenses. they come tommorrow. i’m pretty pumped about it, i threw my last set of cheapo polarized ones in the drink at the last bass world and figured it’d be a decent excuse to get new ones.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

You can’t go wrong with a good set of glasses. There’s no replacing your eyesight.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

I also ditched the cheapie sunglasses and went with a pair of Smith Action Optics this spring–double polarized, brown lenses, great peripheral coverage. Best piece of fishing equipment I’ve purchased this season.

brovarney

Being a half blind old guy I gave up trying to fit my solar bats over my glasses and went with Cocoons. Happy Happy Joy Joy.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Costa Costa Costa…
    I won’t go bass fishing without them….

It’s like blue said..you only have one set of eyes..we need to protect them. I highly doubt the more inexpensive sunglasses block all the harmful rays.

We spend so much money of boats/rods/reels/tackle…and then skimp on the shades…

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

What is out there that is good for a guy with prescription glasses? I would loveto get a pair, but can’t seem to find anything that will fit over my glasses without looking like Jimmy Houston

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I used to own a pair of Oakley Half Jackets and had to replace them with a new pair because the lenses wouldn’t stay in the frames. When I got the new pair, they did it TOO!

I now use Costa MP2’s in Amber Lenses and am very impressed with how well they allow me to see in the water. Plus they give me a lot better racoon eyes

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

Mike,

Most companies have an RX dept. that you can call and find out which frames allow RX. Both my Oakleys were in prescription and so are my Costas.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I love my Costas and beat the crap out of them and both cracked lens are still holding up well.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That makes sense I have an eye appointment on the 8th, so maybe they will give me a slip with my prescription on it

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

I also have the prescription problem, compounded by needing bifocals. I just can’t see the line to tie knots in my 40’s like I could in my 20’s. Like Brovarny, I bought a pair of Cocoons for $40.00 and I’m pretty happy with them. Yea, they’re big, and small children cry when I look their way, but they work very well. As ugly as I am it doen’t matter what they look like.They work! Pretty good product, really.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I prefer Costa’s. Glass lens and great visibility. Exspecailly when standing next to d-norts boat!!!!

col._klink
    St Paul

I never walk outside without my Oakleys!

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Anybody try Solarbat EBlocks in a the moss green? heard they were awesome for sight fishing. Looking to replace a pair of Costa Del Mar Hammerheads that are so scratched,I can barely see out of.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

costa, thats it and thats all

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I find Copper and especially the Vermillion color from Costa really give a good view of the underwater environment.

kNelson

my half jacket XLJ’s just came in the mail today, i tested them out today on the water..defintely worth it. they fit great, zero glare or haze, good vision into the water, much impressed so far

2Fishy4U

Some of the frame manufacturers now have polarized sunglasses that are specifically designed to fit over your normal glasses. Unlike the old clip-ons the fit is perfect, they can easily be stored in a tackle box, and are less expensive then a seperate set of polarized sunglasses.

Check it out if you haven’t made a purchase yet.

g love
    La Crescent, MN

“without looking like Jimmy Houston”

Ha ha! That’s just funny…I totally remember those boxes he put over his eyes!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.