Swim Jig Grubs

• 1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have been using Tom Monsoor’s swiming jig for a few years with a Berkley power grub. If I have a problem with the tail catching the hook, I will trim the skirt back a little and the problem goes away. I use a 4 inch grub with my swimmin jigs. try it the next time out.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

tom monsoor uses yamamoto grubs

brovarney

I found that the Kalins had a tendancy for the tail to stick to itself and ruin to many casts. The Yamamoto just didn’t last long enough. The Fat Albert has a nice consistancy but the largest is 4″. I settled on Action Plastic for it’s consistancy and variety in size. They have a 3″ a 5″ (which you can bite down to 4″ pretty easily) and a super Mag grub which is about 6″ with a really wide tail. If you can get ahold of the March Midwest Outdoors there is a a photo of the three grubs on the same jig so you can get a feel for the size of the package. That super mag grub lets you slow roll really shallow.

As for the tail pointing down I believe that what that does is provide lift to the back of the jig and helps keep it running true and hooking fish in the top of the mouth.

brovarney

I will try and bring as many of these different type grubs to madison for you boys and girls to play with……..

jimt
    Sparta, WI

I also think Action Plastics come in a much wider range of color options than Kalin and Yamamoto…Do you know anybody else that makes a chartruese w/red glitter.

riverfan
    MN

B-Fish-N K-Tail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brovarney

Or cream yellow…….Japanese Red…….and my favorite Pumpkin red flake (oooooooooo wwwwwwww eeeeeeee that’s sexy)

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

When I am trying to upgrade I use a junebug Magambo grub/black jig and reel a little slower and work alittle deeper.It can get you a couple of big bites. I usually am not fishin a small swim jig though. Usually 3/8 or 1/2 with this big of a grub.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Easy there John…don’t unveil any secrets!

Apparently this site is for second-rate information only and we have to be careful what we say…it could potentially lead to plaques and trophies on EVERYONE’S wall!

Just throwing a bone.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Sounds like someone woke up one the wrong side of the planet and started their day with a big’ol bottle of Hater-ade.

I don’t think there’s one person who reads this forum and does NOT know where I stand. If you want info about something, feel free to ask. That being said, I absolutely REFUSE to spoon feed people info if they aren’t educated enough to implement it and learn from it.

If you want references, go ask Ottobass about the tackle I gave him to catch Bass last fall. Including the jig I cut off my St. Croix.

Just so you know, your bitter sarcasm has been duely noted.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Hater-aid…
    BC, Did you get carded when you went to the store to get this or did your mom give you a note?

benotto
    Shawano, WI

I will definately have to agree with Blue on this one. I had never met him before, and I recognized him from some of the pictures that were posted. I approached him and introduced myself, and we began to talk fishing. He was very helpful and did give me some of the tackle that he was catching fish on.

That is why I like the site so much. First of all, everyone I have met from this site has been extremely friendly. Secondly, the people I have met are also some pretty good sticks, so they are very reliable, and the information that they do give out is very good.

I got you back on this one Blue!

Ben Otto

BomberA

How come about 1/3 of all threads go this route and how come every other thread has this thing? Is it some sort of right of passage to show that you are the man. I would imagine if the key to succesful fishing lied within the color of a jig tail, we would all be down on Toho instead of sitting behind our desks.

I took a step back this summer and barely fished any tournaments. I fished almost every weekend by myself and tried everything under the sun. I learned a million times more from this than trying ask people what they do or what they use. I have almost gotten to the point where I am afraid to ask questions because: a.) people assume you are being nosey & b.) I know I will get a c0ck and bull story that is the total opposite of the truth.

By the way, I use whatever the great people at Brovarney send me and Yamamoto has a translucent pearl color that I really like in clear water

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

BomberA,
    I agree, 90% of the rhetoric that is posted is just us trying to get through the winter months. If everyone would just realize that the baits are insignificant and that 99% of what catches fish is the fisherman then most of these threads would stay in the I like X or Y because.
    There has been mass hysteria about the swim jig and Senko in the past few years and I will be the first to say that they are no better or worse than any other bait. The presentations are the difference and presenting a bait in these types of manors will result in the same or very similar outcomes.
    I feel that the questions about seasonal movement. Pressure, environmental changes and things of this nature are answered in a much more serious fashion.

Questions like which rod td you like has been asked countless times and the dissertation of why has been debated better than Roe vs Wade. When we can all finally get out and catch some fish you will see more good will. The fact that we really have no safe hardware nor fishable software is really intensifying emotions this year. I respect everything you said and agree 100%
    Jc

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

BTW BomberA, that’s a great pic of you & G. Swindle. Now there’s someone you can learn from!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Speaking of BomberA, Do you have any more pics from this event? I would love to see more.
    jc

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I guess it just gets old when I see questions answered constantly with arrogance. It was quite a simple question for everyone to answer, or choose not to answer. All of the sudden it turns into a “I know something you don’t know” thread. People who read these posts aren’t going to say, “Hey, that’s beneficial!”…they’ll roll their eyes and move on to the next site.

I for one respect good fisherman, but I do not respect arrogant fisherman, or consider them good.

Thanks for noting that, Blue…but it had nothing to do with you in the first place.

BomberA

Quote:

All of the sudden it turns into a “I know something you don’t know” thread. People who read these posts aren’t going to say, “Hey, that’s beneficial!”…they’ll roll their eyes and move on to the next site.

EXACTLY

p.s. JC, I have some more random shots from the E50 that I will try to post in the near future

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

For the most part, there are more arrogance floating around here than I have ever seen. But, we can’t confuse arrogance with confidence, skill, and PROVEN ability.
    Before the puffy chest comes out and the hackles start raising, answer me and most anybody else who comes here for useful information. Why is it that for the last year, the bass forum has only had “maybe” a handful of useful information posts? Everything is always a big “secret”. There are a lot of people that come here looking for tips and ideas. That is the sole reason this forum is here, to help and encourage other anglers who want to learn. But, there are the select few who think they hung the moon, and well, sorry it ain’t happening. That is all I want to know. I have my super duper flame retardent Spider Man shield on and ready for the fire

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Umm, Whold that be???
    OK BC, I’ll start another post where I will give you every shot at roasting me. I’ll have it done shortly.
    jc

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I need to add a few things to my previous post
    The idea of keeping “spots” a “secret”, I completely understand. But, where I get lost is how techniques, type of cover or area, or other things like that cannot be shared.
    What starts out a good topic quickly changes to a real turn off. There are only 3-4 guys on here that KNOW there stuff and know it well. How does that make them arrogant? To me, the people who have confidence in their ability are instantly thought of as being arrogant by others. There is an old saying I see coming into play here, ” Those who can’t do it teach it”. The quiet ones are the ones coming out in front on leaderboards and walking away with checks on a consistent basis.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Well said Wats!!!!!

People need to “un-puff” their chest, talk about fishing, put up quick reports on how they are doing and what they are catching fish on.

JC is right…….There are no magic lures……..Not for fish…….Maybe fisherman, but not fish…..

Quality baits (not expensive baits) put fish in the boat because those baits make it easier for the fisherman to use…..

So;
    IMHO, if I ain’t using the K-grub I’m using a double MR. Twister 4″ twister tail…….Can find them everywhere and they work!

Remember, a swim jig isn’t a finese jig……..Your are “swimming” it, therefore makes it a reaction strike…….No bass is going to be sniffing it for 5 seconds, trying to debate whether they should eat it or not…..

Put your focus on what your doing between the ears when you fish………..THAT will put fish in the boat. Don’t have such a huge focus on what “special” lure you should be using……

brovarney

Fishing cycles……

That’s what this is.

It’s getting close enough to be able to go out there that we are all getting way to much testostorone going and have developed Male PMS.

It happened last year about this time.

Sit back

pop a cool one

and look forward to posting pictures and telling lies…..

ben kurtz
    Lake Geneva, WI

I think we all need a big group hug!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

From a guy named Horney Toad…. I think I can speak for all of us…. we are nervous….
    jc

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Gentlepeople!
    I am no bass guy, although I do catch them and enjoy doing so. But I think IMHO that the biggest thing that determines success is time on the water. For example: It is no big secret that fishing plastics is a great way to catch real nice walleyes. And how it is done is not much of a secret either. It has been discussed over and over for years. There even is a DVD with James and Dustin showing you how to do it.

But you still got to get out there and anchor yourself correctly on that wingdam, or drag that sand, or troll, or drift, whatever. No amount of knowledge gained here will replace time on the water figuring it out. You can take some shortcuts and hot tips can help; but in the end you got to do the work.

I was out fishing with my Dad once and I was nailing them and he wasn’t. I tried to set him up exactly like I was (we were jigging walleyes); but it wasn’t helping. My Dad was getting frustrated at his lack of success. I told Dad “I’m sorry. I’m gonna have to rig you up with a bobber if you want to catch some fish.” He wondered why. I told him that I couldn’t teach him to feel those bites. You gotta develope it over time. You can’t just copy what somebody else is doing and expect the same results instantly. Alright I’m done blathering. Later!

dd

brovarney

JC ….we…..is that a horney toad in your pocket?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Ummm…..You take the hug… Slopp will photo it….. BC will post it in the net…. Blue will sell it to the broke back community…. and I will collect the set up the eComm site… We all split the $$$

jc

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Like a few people ahve already stated here in the past, just like Jeremy has done, success is in big part due to quality time on the water. Fishing just for the sake of casting your bait will not make you better. Every time you get out, you have to be willing to listen to what the fish are trying to tell you. People do not alway listen, not even the best anglers. What makes the best the best, is that they listen better than others, and they have an understanding of why things happen in advance. I am by no means the best, nor will I ever claim to be, but I enjoy learning from what the fish tell me. That being said you need to do the same on this forum to learn what you can by knowing what is BS and what is not, and by laughing at the antics that go on.

Also,you have to understand that there are A LOT of quality sticks around the river and it is nice to have an edge. That being said, sometimes the open forum may not be the time, or the place to share “what works best”. As Blue has and I know many others, will many times be willing to share what works best on a one on one discussion. Many people have answered questions for me on pm’s maybe that is a better way to find what you seek. Either way, you still need to learn on the water.

Bassman

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Sorry about that, should have read Jeremy’s other thread before responding.

Bassman

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.