Swim Jig Grubs

• BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I am looking to re-stock my grub box and began wondering if there is a better grub than what I have been using for swimmin’ jigs.

I almost exclusively throw a 5″ Kalins Single Tail Grub but feel that is a little too long and that its tail gets wrapped around the hook too often, wasting a lot of time on the retrieve.

Any kind of information would be helpful, whether it be a brand or something that you look for in a grub.

Thanks,
    Dusty

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Zoom Fat Alberts, and Berkley Power Grubs work well for me. I don’t have a lot of issues with K-Grubs, so I use those the most.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The Yamamoto Grubs are worth looking into also.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I throw Kalins for the most part, but also notice the 5″ grub does get caught on the hook a lot. Waste of time getting it off and re-adjusted.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Blue????
    Hey Hey Hey, Stop giving out our secrets.
    jc

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

I use Outkast 5″ Fattail grubs for my swim jis and they work really well. I used to use Kalins as well and had the same issue. The tail on this grub is thinner as well as a little shorter then the Kalins. Plus they are way cheaper the Yamamoto’s grubs!!

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Blue????
    jc

Those are secrets?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I thought you said your next post wasn’t going to be a plug for Outkast

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

Quote:

Blue????
    jc

How come it always seems like you are complaining people are letting out secrets??

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

Outkastconner,

What does the thinner tail do…or what doesn’t it do??

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Blue????
    jc

Those are secrets?

The secrets we keep help us put plaques & trophies on our walls.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

If your wallet is currently too thick that is!

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

The thinner tail does not wrap itself around the hook because it has a tighter wave to it while its swimming. This also tends to keep the jig from rolling as well. the little bit thinner diameter in the body of the grub creates less resistance.

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I like the Yamamoto’s and don’t mind spending the extra money but it is a waste of time to either super glue the grub every 30 minutes or replace it!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Sometimes, not always, it’s beneficial to keep ‘higher profile’ baits in your box. I can think of many times those expensive baits have bailed me out and put more & sometimes bigger fish in the boat.

A relative of mine was in a tourney last year and the ONLY bait the fish would eat was a Lucky Craft lipless crank. His partner was throwing the LC crank and he tried every bait that matched it and couldn’t get bit. He finally had to switch over to catch fish.

I know 2 years ago a last minute purchase of an expensive bait put a lot of fish in our boat and a LOT of $$$ in our pockets.

Just something to think about.

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I would think that the amount of curl in the tail would affect this more than the tail thickness but…I may be wrong.

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

That has a lot to do with it as well. The tail on the Fattail grub is very similar to yamamotos grubs. As far as your problem with the grubs falling off. You should look for a swim jig with a double barb bait keeper. That saves me a ton of grubs!! Our swim jig has that feature on it and it really makes a difference. I am not sure what other companies have but I’m sure some others will as well.

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

Even with the double barb…they’re so soft after a while you have to replace them even before you catch a fish.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Quote:

How come it always seems like you are complaining people are letting out secrets??

Not sure, I don’t even own a Fat Albert Grub. Why is it any of your concern?
    jc

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

I never said anything about the Fat Albert Grub….I think it is the Yamamoto Grub that is making you sweat

phishirman
    Madison, WI

ISG Hypertail Grub

benotto
    Shawano, WI

Depending on the swim jig, I will vary my brand of grub as well as size. For the for inch models I like the action plastics grub. It has worked well for me, and the tail never seems to get caught on the hook. For the five inch grubs, I like to use the Kalins grub, but the tail does get hooked on the hook once in a while. I like to bite off the very tip of the grub (about a 1/4 of an inch), and that seems to also help keep the grub from getting caught on the hook.

How do you guys rig your grubs on your swim jigs? I always have the tail pointing down (opposite from the bend of the hook) because it seems the tail doesn’t get caught as much. What are your thoughts?

Ben Otto

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sometimes, not always, it’s beneficial to keep ‘higher profile’ baits in your box. I can think of many times those expensive baits have bailed me out and put more & sometimes bigger fish in the boat.

A relative of mine was in a tourney last year and the ONLY bait the fish would eat was a Lucky Craft lipless crank. His partner was throwing the LC crank and he tried every bait that matched it and couldn’t get bit. He finally had to switch over to catch fish.

I know 2 years ago a last minute purchase of an expensive bait put a lot of fish in our boat and a LOT of $$$ in our pockets.

Just something to think about.

Don’t get me wrong, I have alot of expensive stuff in the boat, including some that hardly sees the light of day anymore. And I continue to buy Senkos at a sometimes alarming rate.

Seems like my swim jig grubs get tore up real fast, and much like the Senkos, the Yama grubs seem to rip faster than average. I wouldn’t mind afew bags, but they probably wouldn’t be my main grub for this application on price alone.

I seem to dump 8 bucks into alot of frogs that don’t last as long as they should, and I am planning on dropping some cash on some pointers soon. Lucky Craft+pike=

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I rig my grubs so the tail flops up & down instead of side to side…..That should burn some cookies.

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

secret???

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

secret???

Yeah, it’s women’s deodorant. Slop wears it…

jimt
    Sparta, WI

I use Action Plastics grubs…not too fat, not too thin and relatively cheap. I believe quite a few LaCrosse area “swim jiggers” use them.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

I am with Blue on the Yamamoto and here is your secret of the day – go to their web site and find the close out section, they have plenty of colors they are discontinuing that are great – $2.30 for a bag of 20 5″ grubs is as good of price as you will get anywhere.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

I use the yamamoto grubs for the most part. I am generally of the belief you get what you pay for (lucky craft, yammy, gamakatsu hooks, premium line, good rods and reels) and I dont get to fish enough to not optimize my time on the water. If im around a ton of shorts or fun/pond/pre-fishing I might use one more durable, but i think the softness= better action and they hold it longer with the salt impregnated. Never tried rigging it “sideways” though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.