Root River

• SkoDak

Fished the Root River on Saturday before the lightning came. Boy was it hot! We were just southeast of Rochester. Between the two of us, we landed 15 and lost about that many. As has been the case since I discovered this fishery 7 or 8 years ago, the lure of choice is the smallest rapala you can buy. We also fooled around with some jigs and rooster tails, which caught a few, but the rapala was the best.

Size of the bass for the most part were small, but did land a few nice ones. One probably went 3 pounds. All, of course, are back in the water and waiting for us next time.

I should mention the water was very nice. Not as clear as I thought it would be, but for the most part clear down to about 2 feet.

JimW
    SE MN

skodak,

Thanks for the info! What branch( I’m assuming the NOrth Branch) of the root were you fishing? Also, did you happen to find the fish in any particular pattern or location in the river! Once the Root turns on, it can be a fantastic day of fishing!! Keep the rods bendin’!!! Jim W

SkoDak

I believe it was the North Branch. The first bridge east of County Road 1. Just southeast of Rochester…close to Simpson.

The fish bite would be sporadic. Catch them for an hour, then turn off for a while. Where we really started to find them was about a mile to a mile and a half back in. They were laying along a small rock ledge that extended for several hundred yards. It was not that deep of water, maybe 2 or 3 feet deep on that one side. On the other side where we casted from, it was only ankle deep. They were right up against the ledge and would smack the bait as soon as it hit the water.

We never caught any fish in pools that were in the sun. Shady areas was key. Fast running water areas also produced, but most fish in those areas were small.

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

SkoDak, besides your regular lures try a few surface lures. such as poppers and prop baits. They’re a blast with smallies.

JimW
    SE MN

OK, Skodak and me can’t possibly be the only “smart” smallmouth fisherman out there? Loads and miles of smallmouth fun can be had in the Root river systemin SE MN!! Keep the repo’s coming in people!!!

Keeop the roids bendin”!! Jim W

rivrat
    Trempealeau, WI

Went wading on the Root for the first time on Thursday evening . I parked at the bridge on 116 and went up river for a couple of hours. The smallies were responding well to a mepps spinner in the shaded holes near moving water. The fish were running small but the numbers were good with over 20 fish landed. All the fish were released and I had a great time. My only regret is that I couldn’t locate the bigger fish, but that leaves something for next time. JB

Jimb

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.