weekend fishing

• glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Fished fri. night and all day sat. Ended up with 8 keepers and 10 small fish. Biggest bass I got was a 19.5 in. weighed 4.6 pounds. All caught on plastics fishing rock and wood in pool 10.

Good Fishing

jonb
    Fayette, Iowa

Just a reminder – there is not such a thing as a keeper bass.

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

Lets all clarify your weekend fishing wrap up. Did you actually keep 8 Smallmouth and fillet them. Or , are you just saying they were legal size but got released?

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I should have clarified this better. They were all largemouth and all were released. The 19.5 in. one had it’s picture taken and then put back in the water. I would never keep a bass. I think it is plain wrong. So when I say keeper I just mean it is over the legal size limit, which is 14 in. where I fish. Sorry for the confusion.

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

Bass Boy,you are now on your way to becoming Bass Man !!

greg

I’m strict catch & release, too, but I often use the terms “legals” or “keepers.” I think that length (14″) is kind of a benchmark of sorts for sorting out what you’ve caught in a day. All I really want is to be able to battle a nice fish, get a look at him, snap a picture, and let him go. After all, bass bring me a lot of fun, so I think it fitting to let ’em go! BTW, I never told you guys, but I caught and released a 19″ LMB two weeks ago! I was pretty proud of that hawg!

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Thanks Leadhead. Just curious what pool of the river do you fish? Also have any of you tried the craw tube made by Mad Man? I have seen them and heard a lot about them. Also have any of you guys ever tried carliona rigging with plastics? I haven’t and wonder if people use this tatic.

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

I fish mainly between Stillwater and Osceola on the St. Croix. Mostly for Walleye’s and Smallmouth. Occasionally I fish small time bass tourneys and use Carolina Rigs. The Carolina Rig , I’ve found , is an excellent “big fish” presentation. Often you won’t get as many fish but you’ll tend to get the larger ones. The Capra’s know a little about tournament Bass fishing and use that method a real lot!! Sorry , haven’t seen the new Craw Tube you mention…

greg

Bob’s Bait Tackle has a bunch of the Craw tubes (that’s my favorite tackle shop, btw! They do Bass Pro orders for ya, too, and only charge a dollar for S & H!) From what I’ve heard, lizards and brush hogs have been quite popular for Carolina rigging, though I haven’t had much experience with the rig myself. I have all the components for it, so it’s just a matter of time! LOL

jedsall
    Dover Ohio

I’ve used the new craw tubes. Was my favorite bait this spring for a short period. They catch fish, but I don’t seem to be able to out produce some of my other favorite plastics. They are great on a weedless oldham jig. Seem to be able to pitch them into the worst cover and pull them through. I suspect they will come into their own this fall again. I seem to do better on the jig (crawfish imitator) when the water starts to cool down.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Greg,
    What colors have you bought in the craw tube? Also would it be possible that I pay u to send me a pack. No one around me carries them? How much is a pack?
    Thanks

greg

I have black/blu, green pumpkin, and texas craw…not sure on the exact name of that last color, but it’s black, green, and orange. They come in packs of 6 (4 inchers) and like 8 or 10 (3 inchers) for a shade over $4. If I were you, I’d call Bob’s Bait and Tackle and see if they’d do an order for you. They are a bass pro dealer and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d help you out and send you some lures, seeing as how you’re not from the area…to be honest, that would be easier all the way around. Their number is (608) 782-5552.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Greg,
    Thanks, for the help and what sizes did u buy. I am thinking that the 4 in. is probally what I will get. I assume you are fishing pool 8 near Lacrosse.
    Thanks

greg

I have 4″ packs in all 3 colors and a 3″ pack in the Texas craw. Yep, pool 8.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Got one last question for you. Have u ever fished the roll r’ rock jig. I have been reading about them and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried them.

greg

No…is it a football head jig? I have football head jigs, but haven’t thrown them much. I usually end up using Oldham’s screw-lok jigheads for grubs, spider grubs, tubes.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Yeh it’s a football jighead. I keep hearing about these Oldham jigheads. What are they and are they good and how can I get them.
    Thanks

greg

They’re basically a jighead with a light wire weed guard, a more pointed head (compared to round head), and a wire coil extending down from the lead head onto the hook a bit–it looks like a little slinky. The idea is that it holds your plastic bait on more securely (saving time on re-rigging plastics) and actually extends the bait’s life as it won’t get torn up as much from fighting bass. I’ve had good luck with them, so yeah, I’d say they’re pretty darn good. I’ve seen them at several bait shops (Bob’s B & T, Ace, Tri State to name a few) and Bass Pros Shops has them. BTW, if you still can’t get the Craw tubes from Bob’s B & T, I believe you can order them at Madman’s site, here’s the link: Mad Man Lures

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.