SMall river smallies!

• JimW
    SE MN

Just wondering if any of you people have had the opportunity to fish the Root

or other smaller rivers for smallmouth lately. I plan on getting out this evening if all goes as planned! If you can’t stand(being in a boat) the heat, NOW is the time for some cooler times well spent in local streams and rivers!!

I’ll let you know how I do and what patterns seem to be present. I’m curious if many get out on smaller rivers

for smallies? Doesn’t seem to be much of an interest!?? Keep the rods bendin’!! Jim W

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I love small river smallies…. I just dont know if there is anything that fills that bill up here… when I was in Iowa… yes…. up here everything seems to be canoes/boats…….

JimW
    SE MN

There are numerous locations with all most limitless opportunities! SE MN has miles of unfished smallmouth waters. Many are wadeable!!! I think ole’ river eyes might be getting a little soft in his old age???(lol) don’t tell me you would rather sit in a boat all day trolling now would you? Maybe we should hook up for some rod bendin’ action eh? Jim W

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

LOL….

Im sure age has softened me up a bit….. but it just seems the rivers UP this way wold be tough to wade.. if anyone knows of any good wading streams in the north west wisconsin or north east Mn area then let me know!!….

and Im NOT opposed to heading down to the Root…. My X-inlaws live NE Iowa (waukon)….. and ive been through and around the Root quite a bit….. its a pretty long drive from me…. and if I came down there I would probably have to drag that silly PUP along… he wants to go everywhere!…. think you could stand that? LOL

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The ONLY reason he wants to “drag” me along is so I can show him what it looks like to hold up a “mini-mouth” from your own line! LOL! Or else he’s quick to see an opportunity of “gang slammin” his rag doll! :O) Just kidding!

vern
    Richfield, MN

Hey JimW! I love walking those small rivers for the smallies. But since I bought a jon boat, I’ve been exploring the bigger rivers the last couple of years. I’ve kind of turned into a cat guy. But I still fish smallies on the upper Mississippi a lot. Have you fished the Cannon & the Zumbro much? Those rivers are a little closer to home for me. I’m in Mpls. Are there trout and cats in those rivers too? I’d like to get the waders out and explore some more. How’s the fishing on those rivers? Thanks, Vern

JimW
    SE MN

Vern,

the Zumbro is a fantastic smallmouth fishery. It also holds walleye/sauger and catfish!! Trout can be found seasonally near trout tribs! I have not fished the Cannon, but do know it to be a fine fishery as well! One spot to try would be at or near the confluence of the Middle and North Branch of the Zumbro river near Tielman(sp?) The zumbro is another under fished, “world class”(in my opinion) fishing river!

Riverstye (could’nt resist) I wouldn’t mind having a pup on the heels. For years I had a friend who would bring his Golden along. This dog would follow me through out the stream, “heeling” everytime I stopped to take a cast. So if “willastink”(lol) has to come along, no problem! What about the upper Croix? Doesn’t that get small enough to wade?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I suppose the upper croix gets small enough… but how far UP, Im not sure… after all I waded across the Mississippi a couple of times too…. but these northern rivers seem quite different then what I would refer to as “farm country” rivers….. and the surrounding terrain can be brutal…. you MIGHT be able to wade.. but your better off to float and maybe wade some stretches…… Ive done some “wading” casting in the upper Mississippi above Monticello…… but the current you run into even if not deep is powerful……

and Im NOT sure THIS PUP is obedient enough to “heel”…. but maybe if you put him on a stringer? You can see he causes no end of trouble unless you can somehow control him!!

LOL

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Willastink? I so resemble that remark! Why, with a manure spreader like (Riverstye was it?) around, it’s not to wonder why you might notice that. If indeed we arrange this outing, can I bring you a sack of suet for your Pileated friends? [:o)D

vern
    Richfield, MN

Thanks Jim W. I think I’ll do a little exploring. I might even try a float trip this weekend. Vern

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Jim, I don’t get out on the small rivers as much anymore but alot of my friends still do. Lately they have been getting a few on a variety of lures, crankbaits, topwater poppers, and some tubes. I live in SW Wisconsin and the predominate smallie streams here are the Grant River and Platte River. Both of these waters have smaller streams feeding them that contain smallies. As the summer goes on the bass seem to work their way farther and farther up these streams.

JimW
    SE MN

I made it out for a VERY short outing last evening for some wading. “Bogsucker” and I walked some new water. He managed a nice 18 inch +er!!! Way to go Boggy!!! Otherwise, we managed 8 or 10 fish with nothing too special. The smallies were caught on # 7 Original floating silver and black Raps and a 1/8 oz. Yellow “bumble bee” Rooster Tail!!

Holy cow do you Mississippi fisherman(from boats) have it made when it comes to the bugs!!!!! The deer flies are high in numbers and more relentless than I can ever remember!!! Nothing that I have used works at deterring those pesky muthas!!!

I have heard wearing a balsam branch in your hat would work? Any ideas on keeping those predatorial Deer flies away would be greatly appreciated!!!! Keep the rods bendin’!!! JIm W

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

OK… you asked for it…. it looks dumb as heck.. but it DOES work…. attach a strip of fly paper to your hat, deer flies just LOVE to land on the top of your head… and wham.. they are STUCK… you wont believe how many you will have stuck to it… kind of gross…. but it REALLY works….. so the trick is not to keep them off…. but to keep them ON something besides you!! and yeah they are REALLY bad right now….

Ive done it sure it looks *ick*… but your out there by yourself…. I just wrap it once around the hat and let it stick to itself…. and maybe run a band right over the top for good measure….

just look out for your pilieated woodpeckers… they are going to see a feast and come down.. and wham…. now you have a giant woodpecker stuck on your head too!!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Jim,

Being in a boat makes no difference. I took about 20 bites Wednesday with James! He happened to have some Repel, unsure of the grade, and it kept them off my legs just fine. However, if you’re wading, I’m sure it’s not your legs getting nailed! Anyway, it did work for my legs and kept me from leaving trails of death all over James’ boat! :O)

JimW
    SE MN

Stillakid,

You sure we are referring to the same creature? The many times I have been in a boat, the flies that bothered me were the small black flies! Deer flies(not to say you don’t know what they are), are considerably larger, aggressive and come with quite a significant bite, leaving large welts at times! Either way, if they bite it sucks, distracting me from the task at hand!!! Noooo Goood!!! Rivereyes, I like the idea and might have to give it a go, but what about the other deer flies that seem to prefer landing on my arms, back of kneck etc. “there goes Jim, all mummafied in fly tape”!! Thanks for the help though! I think I might have to stick to the frantic arm waving, cap flinging, “MAd Dash to safety” theorum!!! Jim W

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah… I guess some of em go right for the throat!! but most of em up hear like to go for the head… I think its because most animals are vulnerable around their ears, nose and mouth.. and the rest is covered with fur….. so the flys instinct tells them go for the head

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Ummmm………………yes Jim, we are talking about the multi-colored eyeball, just smaller than a horsefly, equipped with a 3/8″ drill bit, deer fly. I’ve had enough woods time to know exactly the “bring-you-to-cursing-critter” you refer to. I haven’t had to deal with them in a LONG time so I was surprised to see them water side Wednesday. Next time I’m with James I’ll have to pack a shop vac for all the dead ones that failed their kamikazi mission! :O)

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Jim, I live in northeast Iowa and we have some exceptional small streams for smallies. The Yellow River, Turkey River, Upper Iowa, Wapsipinicon River, Cedar River to name a few. I have found that the key is to go to extremely small baits, usually jigs, in a dark pattern like purple or black. They seem to resemble a crawfish in the eyes of the bass. 1/16 oz is usually good. A small plastic will work well too. Let it sit on the bottom and jig it back to you. The fast baits will take the smaller fish. Often, because of the water clarity, you can see the fish take it. I cannot think of anything better that a 16 inch smallie giving you a tussle in a pool no larger than your living room! They go nuts! LOL

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I fished all of those and more when I lived in Iowa….. but the Cedar is clear now? when did that happen? and the wapsi…. was usually considered clear if you could put your hand underwater and STILL see it…! only in low water, usually fall conditions did those rivers clear up…… but that was years ago……

JimW
    SE MN

Generally speaking, every stream and river in SE MN is extremely low right now!! It is truly amazing when you consider that a month ago we were darn near flooded out. So I wouldn’t doubt that streams and rivers in the NE Iowa are running clear. birddog, I would have to agree!! SMall river and stream smally fishing is a true HOOT, especially when you begin to fight them larger smallies!!! Keep the info and exchange coming in!!!

Keep the rods bendin’!!! Jim W

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

We were camping this weekend and I got a chance to do a little fishing. Managed 3 smallies, but it was slooooow.

Overall, in 2 days of fishing, we caught:

3 smallmouths

2 carp

5 ‘gills

4 bullheads

1 rainbow trout

Mamma always said fishing in NE Iowa is like a box of chocolates…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.