Plastic Worms

• dball
    Clemson, SC

When using plastic worms what size/style of hooks have shown the most success? (Say 41/2″ worm, or whatever you use)

JimW
    SE MN

For a 4-6 inch worm I would recommend either a Gamaghatsu(sp?) or Owner(the best in my opinion) 2ot off-set hook!!! You can go with a 1ot as well, but I generally use them for shorter baits!!! Keep the rods bendin’!!! Jim W

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Jim gives you great advise. The other hook I have been using and I really like is the Mustad Mega-Bite. I have been using the 3/0 size with 7 inch worms and lizards.

SetTheHook
    Iowa

If fishing texas/carolina rig, I usually go with a 1/0 for a 4 or 4 1/2 inch worm and a 2/0 for 7″ worm or bigger.

My favorite techniques for shallow fish is to simply put a split shot 8-10 inches ahead of a worm with an action tail and slowly drag it back to the boat. For that, I use a 1 or a 1/0 hook.

alkfish
    St Paul MN

A 3/0 gammy rigged on a 7″ powerworm seemed to be the ticket for me last weekend. I also like to use the gambler screw in worm weights 1/8- 3/8 oz, depending on the depth or thickness of weedcover.

~~~alkfish

dball
    Clemson, SC

Thanks guys for all the great info. I haven’t had an opportunity to try any of them out yet, but I will let ya know what happens when I do.

dball
    Clemson, SC

Jim,

I recently stopped at fleet farm and purchased some lures. I also looked at their hook selection. I saw Owner hooks but not in the right size, however I did find something called X-Point which is packaged like owner and has the hook tip drawings very similar to Owner, are they 1-in-the-same?

Also wondering if anyone has tried VMC hooks or the mister twister hook setups (with the x-tra barb spear thing)?

greg

Unfortunately, I can’t answer your questions, but I will say Owner hooks are awesome! They are super sharp and never seem to get dull!! I especially love their tournament trailers–feathered hooks for the backs of Pop-R’s, etc. BTW, how was Fleet Farm’s prices? Last I recall, they were a little pricey on lures, but hooks may be a different story…thanx

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Dball,

I think the VMC’s are the Vanadium brand…………..yes, no? If yes, I have used them and so far so good! No complaints whatsoever!

JimW
    SE MN

I am not certain. However, I have found that if the hook is the right size for your “set-up”, having a decent off-set(some come with more of an angle than others, allowing the bait to slide more) it should be just as effective. Owners are the “top of the line” brand. I have found several cheaper brands that work as well. Unfortunately, last time I purchased them, I just grabbed them and left, putting them in my fishing vest. Since then I haven’t taken the time to look at the name, SORRY. I’ll try to remeber them. They are a lot cheaper, more to a package and a have a fairly sharp hook with a decent angle on the off-set!! Like Sampo ball bearing swivels, I wish they were more affordable, because they are the best!!! Keep the rods bendin’!!! Jim W

dball
    Clemson, SC

Stillakid2,

You are correct they are Vanadium.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

LMK if you find any problems with them. I have trebles and circles from them and I really like them but that doesn’t mean everything they produce is just as great. I do feel that you’ll be satisfied though! They’re great hooks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.