I Learned Something!

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Yeah! My cranium can still absorb information! Ok, enough joking! I was on the Croix yesterday working a new strategy, and while I didn’t slay the smallies, I had one at least every 30 minutes. Part of that success is while I was casting around, I was dragging a leech on a circle hook in 10-15 ft. of water, at about 7′ down from the boat. Stuck the rod in the holder and waited ’til the rod bent! This is my first experience with circle hooks and I like the way they hook the fish for you, right in the corner of the lip, EVERY TIME! Twice yesterday, I had my own “double”, but the circle hook wasn’t going anywhere so I always fought that one second.

So next time you’re out, drag some bait of choice around on a circle hook while you’re cruisin’ shorelines if a second line is permitted where you’re at! It certainly added to my day!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah…. well you cant teach an old hand new tricks…. !! Ive yet to see one of the circle hooks…. I just heard of them the other day….. sound like a good deal for people who use bait…… are there a lot of people using them, or are they just starting to “catch” on…..? Does anyone use them for cats? I have some “relatives” that want me to take them catting on the Croix this week……

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve heard that circle hooks are ideal for catfishing. You feed them the line and then tighten the line. When you feel the fish, just hang on and reel it in! There’s no “real” hookset. But you still have that thrill of whipping the rod up and seeing it bend! I was afraid when I tried them that it wouldn’t work without that line feeding. But I found that an aggressive fish like a smallie will just gobble it up and turn to run with it. Next thing it knows it can’t run very well! It’s a wonderful thing! I was using a 1/0 size by Owner yesterday and they’re available at Galyans and probably Gander Mountain too. Gamakatsu and Eagle Claw make them as well and those can be found almost anywhere. However, I’ve had problems finding anything larger than 1/0. I could use up to 5/0 in the arsenal.

jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

Rivereyes—- In answer to your question about circle hooks and catfish, In-Fisherman had a TV show directed specifically to this subject. They caught monsters on the circle hooks. Never once did they “set” the hook. Nor did they lose any fish. Personally I haven’t tried any, but I usually use a 3/0 or a 4/0 hook and I haven’t found any in the local stores that big.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Jig N Pig,

I’ve only seen them on the internet for a fairly steep price, plus S&H charges! I’ll have to do some diggin’ cuz I haven’t looked in while. Maybe there’s better opportunity now.

walleyefshr
    Kansas

Stillakid…..check Basspro.com……they may have them, or else may find a link to their offshore angler info,,,,may find a salt water “tarpon” type circle hook. I have been using circle hooks this spring for the first time. Yesterday hooked 6 bass included a 5lber using a size 6 circle hook. (i am using Pierce brand) I have been using while slip bobberin and caught a 26″ northern the other nite on a leech, hooked right in corner of mouth. Gonna try with sunnies…..maybe wont need the forceps when the kiddos let the sunnies suck on the worm for ten mins……

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I just looked in a Cabela’s catalog and they Eagle Claw L198’s for $2.19 a 10pk, for sizes 2/0 to 5/0. Can’t say I’m an Eagle Claw fan so I’ll do a little “shopping”.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

thanks guys… for the info….. I will definitely have to check into them…. I was just wondering if its a new “fad”… or if they are genuine… but apparently they have been around for quite a while for saltwater… funny how slow things are to make the jump….. wish I knew more about saltwater fishing….. particularly first hand… Ive only done a little… but *wow*.. was it fun…… a whole exciting new ballgame… almost makes me want to live along the coast somewhere!!!…. but geeee… then where would I get my walleyes!!?….. but one of these days… I just HAVE to go on a saltwater vacation…. would love to try tarpon, or stripers, or… heck.. just about anything thats voracious and fun…. which sounds like lots of the saltwater fish…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.