When to change presentations

• urbanrivers

I have just come back from a vacation at a cabin in Wisc. the family goes to every year. We usually go for a morning of fishing at Lake Mohawksin. It is an impoundment made up of the Wisc. Somo, and Tomahawk rivers. It is managed now for smallies and musky. Anyway, there is not much flow but some wonderful stump fields which offer excellant target fishing. This year because of having youngsters in the boat with us we got there a little later then usual. Started fishing about 8:30 and found the fish in the weed beds, in about three feet of water and caught them on shallow running crankbaits and tube jigs, both in chartruess and orange color combinations. In four hours of fishing we probably caught 25 smallies all between 1.6 and 3.0. along with a half a dozen walleye and a couple of northern. Now my question is, would any of you reading this have changed colors or lure types just to see if the action could be any better. I just could not bring myself to change colors even though I had gone out planning to try white in-line spinners, pop Rs and watermelon tubes among other things.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

You must be as human as the rest of us! LOL!

I have to admit, many times when the fish are just banging the heck out of my offerings, the thought of switching never comes to mind. It’s always when the going gets tough that we dig into things we’ve never used before, whether it’s a new lure or a new presentation.

I had this same thought a couple of years ago because I had just filled my 3rd tackle box full of whatever I could buy cheaply but I started to wonder why I bought all this and yet, always reached for the “old reliables”?

I have found numerous occassions to test ever since that thought crossed my mind. It HAS cost me some fish, I have witnesses………………..but it’s also filled my personal journal full of information that can be used for later circumstances, and when “old reliable” isn’t producing.

Testing can be as much fun as the fishing itself. It will teach you things about your waters, your presentations, the fish, yourself, and can aften amaze you when you catch a (?) on a Quad Spin Shamidinger! (Just an example)

If you’re the sort that just loves to be out there, twist your own arm and try it. It’s definitely a step in the direction of what to use when and/or where. Versatility and Adaptability is what some of the more knowledgeable folks swear by for success. But it’s tough to look for a lesson when success graces your efforts.

What I would’ve looked for in your situation is……………..will they bite on the same lure/presentation but different color? Then same color, different lure. Then, something new altogether. Is it the lure or are they just active? I wouldn’t look to see if I could make things better than they were already going, I’d just try and answer questions through active/productive fish! Trying to find the magic lure when you’re getting aced is seldom informative or noteworthy.

Give it a try next time the fish aren’t being too stubborn and let us know how it goes!

Best to ya!

Stillakid2

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

you know… it would be just like me to test my luck….. cuz Im always wanting to learn something…… what I have found in situations where they are on a tear such as you describe is that you most likely will have luck with everything you toss at them…. when they are active, they are just snapping everything……

but sometimes you will find that switching kills your fishing….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.