Pool #9 & #10

• jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

Am looking for any information I can find about catching bass on pool 9 and 10. Locations and/or patterns/tackle.

greg

Well, I could give ya some info on pool 8–I”m sure patterns/tackle would apply to other pools just the same. However, I’d like some more bassin’ tips for the river myself! LOL

HEY EVERYBODY, I’D SURE LOVE TO HEAR SOME OF YOUR IDEAS AND GAME PLANS FOR BASSIN’ ON THE RIVER!

Anyway, I always have good luck with rip rap–smallmouth love the stuff (there’s also spots where you’ll catch smallies and largemouth on rip rap). Basically, you can fan cast cranks (I like shads and craw colors–craw especially in the spring), topwaters (my fave!!), etc. tight to the bank and pick off a lot of active fish. Also, fish it deeper for inactive bass with tubes, grubs, what have you.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I am going to be in Praire Du Chien this weekend and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on bass, walleye and pike?
    Thanks,
    Glenn

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

We were fishing the wingdams between Cassville and Guttenburg for whatever was biting, and saw a few guys nailing largemouths out of the brush in the running sloughs and off the islands.

They just seemed to be shooting from one sunken log-jam to the next with the trolling motor and flipping a heavy jig into the thick of it. I couldn’t see whether or not they were using a trailer, but it’s usually a good bet.

That was last September, when the water was starting to cool off, but I would think that it would be a good summer pattern too. Largemouths don’t crave current like smallies do.

jedsall
    Dover Ohio

I spent last weekend fishing as an observer in the Mr Bass tourney in Pool 10. There were only a couple of patterns that worked that I saw: Many people were fishing flooded willows, and picking up a few fish. I prefer a 4″ tube for this to a jig, because the jig would get snagged. Concentrate on points and pockets in the willows. I heard of several fish getting caught in the Marinas in pool 10. The lake at the very bottom end of pool 10 on the Iowa side had fairly clean water, and a huge bed of lily pads. Fish were being taken on typical slop patterns. Rats, buzzbaits, and plunking a jig/pig.

More than anything, look for cleaner water. Dirty water to a bass is like smoke to us. If there is a spot that you can get out of the smoke that is where you’re going to go.

jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

Thanks jedsall. I appreciate the info. Is there a no wake in any of the areas? Did you have a chance to fish or were you just an observer?

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

With the current high water I would suggest areas that are out of the main current. Last Saturday we fished a bay that is usually dry ground during normal water conditions and ended up with 3 largemouth. Two on spinnerbaits and one on a plastic worm. Usually during the summer months you can find some largemouths on riprap and wooded banks with current. I really believe the best summer pattern though is fishing weeds. What type of weedgrowth depends on the time of year. I try to find a spot where slight current enters a weed bed and fish the edge where the current meets the weeds. This year may be different though with the continued high water. Many areas may not develop the weed growth that they normally would.

greg

Birdman,

I don’t suppose the bay you were referring to that is usually dry was in Pettibone RV Park?! We camp there all the time and noticed a bass boat fishing in a small bay as you described. It was pretty weird to see that from the camper’s perspective as this is our “first flood.” (Weren’t camping in the others)

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I have a cabin over here and I have always tried to find willows, but I never can. Could u give me some places on where I could find some.
    Thanks,
    Bass Boy

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Greg, the bay I was referring to is just above Glen Haven along the railroad tracks. It’s been a favorite of mine whenever their is high water. I think the lake Jedsall was referring to is Bussey Lake above Guttenberg. Another backwater that produces well during high water.

jedsall
    Dover Ohio

Yeah bussy was the name of the lake. Hey the flooded willows are on just about every island right now because the water is high. Right upstream from the big river campground there is a railroad bridge you can drive a boat under. From that bridge up to the next marina were some flooded willows that still had banks. There were some fish being caught in those willows, as well as in the marina. I saw plenty of flooded willows if you just drive the pool and look at the banks you will find a lot more that are fishable. As the banks come back out of the water the fish will be easier to find.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.