“blowing up” on the surface

• joshystenes
    mississippi river. pool 7-9

Just wondering what methods you guys like to use when the bite turns on at dusk and the bass are blowing up on the surface and chasing minnows? My favorite method is to tie on a 3-4 inch popper and wait till I see one bust the surface and cast within a foot of the fish as fast as I can and 1 out of every 3 times the fish will instantly hit your lure thinking it got the wounded minnor or shad. This is some very fun and affective fishing method that seems to work when nothing else will. This also works even better if u see a school of stripers on a rampage and can often get a smallie lookin for that easy meal that the stripers left behind. Anyone else ever do this or have a good method when the surface is erupting?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

3″ Grubs on an 1/8th oz jig. Often it seems as if the bigger fish are not the ones busting the surface.

JimmyClark
    Eagle Point Wi. USA

Pop-R worked real slow, at the weed edge. Works for me everytime. While this also works well before dusk, I find that the larger fish seem to be more available the first couple of hours after daybreak. Must be getting their last meal before dropping off into more comfortable water temps.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Fluke on plain hook…. 10 lbs test braid with 6 lb test flouro leader.

Rigged thru the nose – with exposed hook….

Throw it and wait for the Pullllllllllll

Dog

Jaya
    Zimmerman, MN

Scum frog. I like the ones with the legs because they are a little heavier and easier to cast but the small ones without legs seem to hookup better.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Lately I have been enjoying casting a buzz bait.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

Fluke on plain hook…. 10 lbs test braid with 6 lb test flouro leader.

Rigged thru the nose – with exposed hook….

Throw it and wait for the Pullllllllllll

Dog

Did you learn this method from the Banjo Minnow?

Seriously though, what hook are you using? Interesting method…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.